Options

Bl8ckr0uter's Security+ trek

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Such as an armored virus... wtf is that?

I have common virus definitions on my blog.
    Armored virus – designed to make itself undetectable by using source code that prevents debuggers and disassemblers from examining the virus in detail. Armored viruses can also be developed with some parts of it as a decoy, while hiding some of the core parts of the virus.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From my notes (think straight from sybex book)

Thanks for all of the definitions. I think only two or three of these were in Darril's book. Or maybe I just missed them.

I need to collect all of my notes tonight and assemble them in a format that I can read through, right now they are spead out through several .txt files and even a couple sheets of notebook paper.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for all of the definitions. I think only two or three of these were in Darril's book. Or maybe I just missed them.

I need to collect all of my notes tonight and assemble them in a format that I can read through, right now they are spead out through several .txt files and even a couple sheets of notebook paper.

icon_eek.gif You didn't miss them. I read them on P's site as well. I don't think they were in there.
  • Options
    I just got smoked on the questions on CompTIA's website, 20/30 67%
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    don't get upset, you'll do ok tomorrow.
    I took the questions on TE the day before and got smoked, and the ones on CompTIA the day before and did worse than you. I still scored an 855 on the test.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    From my notes (think straight from sybex book)

Armoured Virus
    - designed to make itself difficult to detect or analyze. Cover themselves with protective code that stops debuggers or disassemblers from examining critical elements of the virus. Some aspects of the programming act as a decoy to distract analysis while the actual code hides in other areas in the program. The more time it takes to deconstruct, the longer it can live, meaning the more time it has to replicate.

Companion Virus
    - attaches itself to legitimate programs and then creates a program with a different filename extension. When a user types the name of the legitimate program, the companion virus executes instead of the real program, effectively hiding the virus from the user.

Macro Virus
    - exploits the enhancements made to many application programs. They can infect all the documents on your system and spread to other systems via email or other methods.

Multipartite Virus
    - attacks your system in multiple ways in the hope that you won't be able to correct all the problems and will allow the infestation to continue.

Phage Virus
    - modifies and alters other programs and databases, infecting all the files. The only way to remove this virus is to reinstall the programs that are infected. If you miss even a single incident of this virus, the process will start again and infect the system once more.

Polymorphic Virus
    - change form in order to avoid detection. It will attempt to hide from your antivirus software by encrypting parts of itself to avoid detection. When it does this it's referred to as mutation.

Retrovirus - attacks or bypasses the antivirus software installed on a computer. They can directly attack your antivirus software and potentially destroy the virus definition database file.

Stealth Virus
    - attempts to avoid detection by masking itself from applications. It may attach itself to the boot sector of the hard drive. When a system utility or program runs, the stealth virus redirects commands around itself in order to avoid detection. They can also move themselves from fileA to fileB during a virus scan.

Good luck with the test 2moro icon_thumright.gif

do you need to know about them for the test? is it like they will come up?
  • Options
    DoubleD wrote: »

Transcender and the CompTIA questions referred to them. They aren't that difficult.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't freak out Dbane, I personally thought the Transcender was wayyyy harder than the actual test.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Take a look at the PDF on CompTIA's web site, but I don't think any of those will be on the test.

edit: Polymorphic might be...
  • Options
    willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    I'm getting ready for the Security+ Bridge exam and saw similar questions on UCertify's Practice Exam. They also had questions on Unix and Windows programs to do different security tasks. Hopefully none of that will show up either. When I took the exam in 2005 it wasn't that detailed.
  • Options

If we knew what was on the test, we would all get 100%. You should know them just to know them.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    If we knew what was on the test, we would all get 100%. You should know them just to know them.

Most of us would get 100%. Phoeneous would still only get 95%.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    .r.... it helps to take a test when you know how to read.

icon_cheers.gif

Thanks, I needed a good laugh tonight!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    icon_cheers.gif

Thanks, I needed a good laugh tonight!

Not a problem, thats why I'm here.
  • Options
    Sec+ is down. The test took me 35 minutes. I scored 845, and was in and out of the test center in less than an hour. And my reward?? Off to work.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Now it's knwminus and Phoeneous turn to knock it out.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Sec+ is down. The test took me 35 minutes. I scored 845, and was in and out of the test center in less than an hour. And my reward?? Off to work.

You jerk lol. Ok Now I really have to get off my butt and do this thing.
  • Options

Congrats bud, I knew you'd pass. You're not allowed to start on 70-293 until me and knwminus pass sec+. Deal?
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Congrats bud, I knew you'd pass. You're not allowed to start on 70-293 until me and knwminus pass sec+. Deal?

Well since as far as I know Knwminus has no intentions of taking the 70-293, I might be waiting awhile...
  • Options
    Well since as far as I know Knwminus has no intentions of taking the 70-293, I might be waiting awhile...

I think he meant YOU cannot start it.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□

Yeaaa boi. Congrats!!! :)
  • Options

Good work! icon_thumright.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options

You silly rabbit.
  • Options
    Thanks all. Does CompTIA still send out cards and certificates, or have they turned into Microsoft?
  • Options
    They still send out card and certificate. Have to confirm details on website first.

Awesome! Hopefully their system doesn't crash like it did last year. It took me 3 months to get my A+ stuff.
  • Options
    Awesome! Hopefully their system doesn't crash like it did last year. It took me 3 months to get my A+ stuff.

As long as you have your official embossed printout from the test center and your can print a transcript from CompTIA...you're all set ;)

(you don't need a stinkin' card and paper cert ;) )....they are nice to have and stick in the folder with the rest though :)
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    As long as you have your official embossed printout from the test center and your can print a transcript from CompTIA...you're all set ;)

(you don't need a stinkin' card and paper cert ;) )....they are nice to have and stick in the folder with the rest though :)

The goods are on there way. This is my first cerification with the new logo, both my A+ and Net+ were the old blue ones.

I noticed that they upgraded my A+ and Net+ certificates to the new design. Is there any advantage to "upgrading" to the new design?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The goods are on there way. This is my first cerification with the new logo, both my A+ and Net+ were the old blue ones.

I noticed that they upgraded my A+ and Net+ certificates to the new design. Is there any advantage to "upgrading" to the new design?

Only that they look newer icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Only that they look newer icon_wink.gif

and they're ridiculously small lol.
  • Options
    How are you boys doing with your prep?