Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    How are you boys doing with your prep?

I'm going for it in 9 days. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I'm right behind you in 21 days from today *GASP* lol
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I am just waiting for discounted voucher before scheduling.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    Took my first practice test on self test. Scored a 72 percent. There was a few things that I have never come across in my studies. Interesting. I am set to take the test in 6 days. I feel pretty confident about it but I know I need to bust my butt studying for these next few days.

On another note, the network security bible has been a really good read. I know I won't be able to get through it all but it has been a real eye opener. Hey Phon, how are you doing?
  • Options
    Going to have to reschedule to the 4th due to availability issues (on my end). Finally going to kill this thing.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Hey Phon, how are you doing?

Still on for the 31st. The TrainSignal material is so much better than CBT Nuggets for this exam. A ton of coverage and case studies.

This is one long ass trek by the way icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    This is one long ass trek by the way icon_lol.gif

Isn't it lol. Who knows, I might be able to get away for a few hours to be able to take it on the 28th but I don't know. I was more concerned about building my Infosec knowledge than getting the cert anyway (it no longer has the same value for me due to some changes I made at school and the fact that I changed jobs) so I am ok with it.

When it is all said and done, it will probably be almost 3 months in the making. Probably double the amount of time I thought it was going to take but its all good.
  • Options
    Isn't it lol. Who knows, I might be able to get away for a few hours to be able to take it on the 28th but I don't know. I was more concerned about building my Infosec knowledge than getting the cert anyway (it no longer has the same value for me due to some changes I made at school and the fact that I changed jobs) so I am ok with it.

When it is all said and done, it will probably be almost 3 months in the making. Probably double the amount of time I thought it was going to take but its all good.

I'm doing it to increase my chances with govt jobs.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I'm doing it to increase my chances with govt jobs.

So am (was) I. Earlier this year I was expecting a big batch of IT jobs at a local AFB. Well those jobs never came and most of the jobs want a BS. So I basically gave up on it. I actually would like to work for the government but IDK. I kinda gave up on that for now. No security clearance, no person to help me in means no job for me. Not there anyway.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    So is it on for Saturday?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Seriously dude, just take it on the 28th and be done with it. You have a CCNA and when I took it, there were a bunch of networking questions that you should have no problem knowing what's what.

Where do you think your weak points are? With me, that was cryptography. I spent a good deal putting together symmetric and asymmetric encryption. Once I turned that into my strongest area of study (personally because I had done it), everything else was put into place. You know this, man!

Remember, the practice tests are definitely harder than the real thing. I dare say you'll spend less time than I did and probably get a nice score. (50 minutes here, and I didn't even look back).

I implore you to end this trek....claim your Security+ exam and be done with it. It was actually this long thread that inspired me to take my test when I did. (I had actually wanted to do it next week, but didn't want to prolong the "pain.")
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just got a Pass 82% On My Measure Up practice tests!! Im getting up there! sweet.
    just gotta keep hitting the books and I will be ready in a couple of weeks time for this!

Just booked it now for 21st September! Cost me £225.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    DoubleD wrote: »
    Just got a Pass 82% On My Measure Up practice tests!! Im getting up there! sweet.
    just gotta keep hitting the books and I will be ready in a couple of weeks time for this!

Just booked it now for 21st September! Cost me £225.

If DoubleD beats you to the punch I'm gonna have to invoke the "OH SNAP" comment. icon_study.gif
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If DoubleD beats you to the punch I'm gonna have to invoke the "OH SNAP" comment. icon_study.gif

LOL...

Seriously dude, I have never seen such a long thread about the Security+. It's really not that bad icon_wink.gif

Good luck on that exam!
  • Options
    I'm going to vote that this thread be locked after we pass :)

EDIT: First on page 9 hahaha!
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    So is it on for Saturday?

NEXT Saturday (Sep 4th). I have the time off I need and nothing on my plate. I will end this that day.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    LOL...

Seriously dude, I have never seen such a long thread about the Security+. It's really not that bad icon_wink.gif

Good luck on that exam!

I've never seen such a long thread about any test.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    I've never seen such a long thread about any test.

It is not about the test, it is about the trek icon_wink.gif

Besides there are plenty of CCIE threads this length and longer.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is not about the test, it is about the trek icon_wink.gif

I would hope so.

Good luck on Saturdayicon_thumright.gif
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    I would hope so.

Good luck on Saturdayicon_thumright.gif

NEXT Saturday. But thanks. I might be off the forums between now and then as I have a lot of work to do. So my next post will probably be a S+ passed post.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NEXT Saturday. But thanks. I might be off the forums between now and then as I have a lot of work to do. So my next post will probably be a S+ passed post.

Thats what I'm talking about :)
  • Options

I can excuse CCIE threads that are the size of books for the fact that it's the CCIE.

Security+...not so much. LOL.

Seriously though, good luck next Saturday. Trust me you're not going to fail.
  • Options
    Good luck next saturday dude. You'll probably get a near perfect score with the studying you've put in.
    About the CCIE threads thyough, that test takes a god awful long time to prepare and the Sec+ I can honestly say I put in around 3 weeks. From the posts you made about what you were studying you were studying stuff for some higher level certs which is why this has been such a long trek
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck, I know you'll pass it!
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just did a practice test on comptias website found it easy walked it in 10 mins to be fair it seemed familiar ground some of the questions are the same as my measureup questions so that is why I seemed to do it so fast I got 80 percent pass so thats not bad should be able to do better in three weeks when I take the real thing
    Date: 8/28/2010 10:41:24 AM

Elapsed: 10 minutes

Score: 80% (PASS)

Test Mode: Certification
    Overall Score (All Objectives) 80% (24/30)

Passing Score 80% (24/30)
  • Options
    Three weeks....so far out (or maybe not, who knows).

Take a couple of days off in between. You'll need it to properly process the information and prevent information overload. Then keep reading/practice tests....then repeat until right before test day. The day before test day, just relax and chill.

You'll be fine, but I know what you're going through, so that's the best I can advise you on.

DoubleD wrote: »
    Just did a practice test on comptias website found it easy walked it in 10 mins to be fair it seemed familiar ground some of the questions are the same as my measureup questions so that is why I seemed to do it so fast I got 80 percent pass so thats not bad should be able to do better in three weeks when I take the real thing
    Date: 8/28/2010 10:41:24 AM

Elapsed: 10 minutes

Score: 80% (PASS)

Test Mode: Certification
    Overall Score (All Objectives) 80% (24/30)

Passing Score 80% (24/30)
  • Options
    Scored an 85 this morning on a Self test review of objectives 1 and 2. I will work on my notes for those tonight and start reviewing for objective 3 and possibly 4.
  • Options
    You're ready already,dude. You've probably studied more for this exam than anyone in the history of taking the Sec+..lol
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    You're ready already,dude. You've probably studied more for this exam than anyone in the history of taking the Sec+..lol

He's shooting for 900, dude. If he gets 890-895, he's going to consider that a fail. icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    He's shooting for 900, dude. If he gets 890-895, he's going to consider that a fail. icon_razz.gif

Pretty much. I saw somethings on the self test that I have never seen before (retrovirus?) and a few design questions didn't make any sense (IMO). I think that I should be ok. I will need to go over some port numbers, raid levels, and (most importantly) control models. I actually care much less about the test now and I am more concern with increasing my infosec l33tness (I cannot believe it recognized l33tness as a word).

SSCP is in my not to distant future as is C|EH so I am just building my core security knowledge. The Network Security Bible has been way overkill for the S+ IMO but we will see on Saturday. I'd like a 900 but if I can get a 87X+ then I would be happy. My current company doesn't care about certs at all so I am doing this for me.