Options

Bl8ckr0uter's Security+ trek

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    He is going to sleep with the proctor.

We will go to the bedroom but we won't be sleeping, if you know what I mean. icon_wink.gif Ha Ha! Ha. Ha. ***icon_thumright.gif

phoeneous wrote: »
    I tried that, it doesn't work.

I bumped the test back too, was going to take it on Tuesday but work has been crazy...

When are you taking it?
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    We will go to the bedroom but we won't be sleeping, if you know what I mean. icon_wink.gif Ha Ha! Ha. Ha. ***icon_thumright.gif

Just pray that you get a woman...
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Just pray that you get a woman...

LOL now that would be funny. Seriously though all of my proctors have been women. Semi attractive women at that.
  • Options
    LOL now that would be funny. Seriously though all of my proctors have been women. Semi attractive women at that.

I had an older guy once. I'd rather take the fail. Not worth it. But usually it is a woman, not extremely attractive but you would be surprised what a paper grocery bag with eye and mouth holes can do.
  • Options
    I had an older guy once. I'd rather take the fail. Not worth it. But usually it is a woman, not extremely attractive but you would be surprised what a paper grocery bag with eye and mouth holes can do.

Wow.... lol.
  • Options
    Wow.... lol.

I'm obviously just kidding here. It is almost friday and work is extremely slow today. Gotta get some laughs in.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There were a couple of cuties in the main Prometric site that could definitely get the business....then again, we're talking about Manhattan....you are going to find the hotness on that island.....

:D
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So now I have to work on Saturday with an AC compressor upgrade. There goes my Security+ time icon_sad.gif guess it will be the 11th.

I just remembered I was in the middle school during September 11th. I am almost 23 now. Wow! I was sitting at a table looking at my now wife's nipples and the TVs came on for TV 1. It was very cold in the room that day. They showed the towers burning and I thought it was a movie trailer. Then the second plane hit. Wow...

It was the day after my 21st birthday, and I was still sleep from the previous night's activities. My brother called me and told me what was going on, so I fired up my computer (my tv was my TV tuner video card), and watched the madness unfold.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    I didn't see any BS about pushing the date back....(had to re-read just to be sure).

Good luck brother! If anything positive is going to happen today, it better be you getting the pass (finally) so this particular "trek" can be concluded. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Guess you didn't read my blog (like i could blame ya lol):

Working Title
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897

Working Title

Fom you blog

Security+ - August 28th

So I have decided to go ahead and sign up for the 28th as my test date. I have 9 days to go over the 5 domains of the exam.

blah, blah, blah..... sorry dude, but take the test already.....icon_redface.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options

Working Title

I read your blog (and others) a couple of times, but in truth, I try to keep my reading to just TE (that in itself is a lot for me...lmao).

I just read it now and honestly, I would take that 10-12 hour drive just to pick you up and smack some sense of priority into you and then drive back home.

To be fair to you, I started my own "Security+ trek" around the same time you did. I bought my Transcenders in late May/early June. July was definitely a busy month, but I figure if I'm going to do it, I was gonna do it in August. I had other prep materials available to me, but primarily, it was just Darril's book, and the Transcenders....beautiful thing about WGU was that I had a gun to my head. (If I put it off, I failed the term....) Some people (and I include myself in that) need that extra mental push. You don't have the mental gun to your head and that's why this "trek" has gone to the point of ridiculousness.

I would even be cool with this if you just said "you know what, I'm just not going to do it at all...." That would even be ok. But to turn this exam into something like a CCIE blog borders on hilarity. A CCNA is like a 20 page thesis paper in a Masters program compared to the Security+ exam, which is like a final five paragraph essay for an English Composition class! (I would, without question, rate the CCNA as a more difficult cert to obtain than Security+).

I can't speak for others, but I'm personally done with this thread until I see a pass from you. (From you, it would definitely be a pass with your CCNA background PLUS the one resource that's needed to pass this exam, Darril's book...you really should slay the Security+ no problem! And of course, it's just this thread :) ) I encourage others to do the same. This might be the mental push knwminus needs to actually get it done before the end of the month. He needs some tough love.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I second abandoning this thread until KNWMinus gets it done. I think 3 other people have started their own Sec+ trek during the time of this thread and have finished. So I'm officially signing off here until it's to congratulate KNWMinus on his pass.
    earweed out
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    earweed wrote: »
    I second abandoning this thread until KNWMinus gets it done. I think 3 other people have started their own Sec+ trek during the time of this thread and have finished. So I'm officially signing off here until it's to congratulate KNWMinus on his pass.
    earweed out

Maybe if he didn't try to have 4 jobs at once and school he'd be able to take an exam icon_lol.gif. I concur even though this is my first post on this thread, just take the test already.
  • Options
    Thanks all. I'll be back with a win! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks all. I'll be back with a win! icon_thumright.gif

That's what I'm talking about.

I just read your newest blog post.

History:
    I was kind of where you were emotionally after my last job and at first I tried going back to the helpdesk. Interviews panned out but subconsciously I kept emphasizing a want to eventually join the security sectors of their companies and that led to no good lol.

I sat down one day and said you know what this whole journey has been about me conquering IT knowledge and to never have someone say to me that "you just don't have the basics of IT knowledge required for this job" (aka bs response given I had 3 years of break/fix). It drove me to want to overdo anything and everything (hence the long signatures) so I bought a bunch of books, watched/dl'ed (I'll admit it lol) CBTs and even if I didn't understand the stuff I kept it in memory and went back to school to get the real understanding behind what I was studying. The first day of the Network Academy we went around the classroom talking about our stories and what we want to be; my response was a CEH and most people were like "net engineer IV" or "CEO" etc. After networking a bit with them, and finding this forum, now I see the path unraveling.

My old boss knew I was a smart kid and that I was getting bored with helpdesk. He gave me advice as to where to go from there and what the cert world will look like and in the end it may work out (2x salary, insane benefits, TS). Apparently his old maid quit to become a network engineer and shes making bank now.

At the current stance, the reason I am pushing forward is pure curiosity. These training books and CBTs never tell you the middle agent that causes breaches or the code used but with every cert I attain I get one step closer to understanding the middle piece and in effect getting closer to being a true CEH.

Main Message:
    I guess what I'm trying to say is in the end, its going to be you vs you, and knowing that we are mirror images in terms of drive, we are indeed unstoppable; we're young and already on a path to greatness. I've probably said it 100 times but most people don't gather a path together until 10 years down the line or even in their 30s. In terms of getting into security, the world is turning slower because of several things 1) funding is flip flopping on all channels and 2) nothing major "cyberly" has happened yet (aka powergrid).

You and I are alike and I attribute some of the certs I have to the fact that indeed you actually pushed me to get them done earlier. I wanted to play it safe but I'd get your "stop being a pussy" messages via inbox and it ignited a fire in me to get the job done haha. You also helped me clear my head in terms of wanting to grab every cert under the sun and I have now been able to pull it down to something manageable.

Sit down and just think about where you want to be and you will get there. The edge this community has on the rest of the world of IT is we have the drive people want but are too lazy to commit to or understand. Think of it all as stepping stones and the Security+ will serve as the next critical one (DoD compliance and starting cert for net analysts).

We are the next gen of network defenders and its time to show these old timers why they should fear our talents in the industry :P
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I gotta agree with the others above me. I don't think you need all of this attention to keep you motivated. I think it's counterproductive. Instead, it humiliated you more each time you procrastinate what you sworn you would do. Hey, like the others said, we're just showing you tough love. :D Hope that gets you started. I failed my Security+ exam on first try, but passed on the second. Now, I'm still working on getting my CCNA, and I personally think it's harder than the Sec+. It's kinda ironic that I overcame your fear, but you already beat me at CCNA.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You still haven't taken the exam? icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Kevin,

I just read your blog post and wanted to make a few comments.

I really think its a good idea you quit your second job, and I think it will do you a lot of good. You really sound like you've brunt yourself out because of everything you try to take on. You know why I say that you've lost your interest in the things you wanted to do, you need a break from it...I had the same thing happen to me and I took a step back. I'm a lot happier now and quit worrying so much about money. If you have enough to get by, save, and for some enjoyment quit sweating it so much. Worrying about it so much is going to eventually wear you down enough where you won't have the energy to do the things you need to do. Everyone has the same worries as you do, I'm 25 with a wife and 2 sons. I'm the only income for the family so I know how you feel about worrying about money. It sounds like you let it consume way to much of your energy which is very detrimental to your career and your health.

My advice, next weekend you have off plan a small trip for you and your wife. Let go a bit and have some fun, give it some time for the studying and come back to it. You will feel refreshed and interested again.

Going to school, working 2+ jobs, and keeping a wife happy is a lot to keep up with. Don't forget to take care of yourself.

joe
  • Options
    So I've been away the past week, see there is a new post in this thread and think to myself, "Maybe he actually went and did it..."

Nope, not quite. Looks like I should take a longer vacation.
  • Options
    jasonkg80jasonkg80 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been following this thread for a month or so. I began studying for the Sec+ in the beginning of August, and I passed the exam today with an 814. I read your (Knwminus) blog and I hope you find the time and motivation to finish your studies and conquer this test soon. The Sec+ is really not that bad, but don't underestimate it. I know you like to stay busy, but try to tune out one aspect of your life for a couple weeks and go for it.

I'll check back in two weeks with the hopes of seeing your post say "passed my security+ exam!"
  • Options
    Congrats Jasonkg80!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WOW I read this entire post waiting for you to finish your exam. I was looking for your post saying you passed it in all 11 pages. I wanted to leave soooooo bad but I just had to see that magical post.....now at page 11 and angry with myself for actually reading this far. Im going to bed now. Good Night
  • Options
    Since ERP and the rest of you aren't going to stop ridding my ass. I went ahead and scheduled it.

October 9th 12pm.

Edit: Just got a call from my boss. Even though we should be finished with the phone system upgrade by then, just incase something freaky happens I don't want to be off site. I talked with her and she stated that we have no plans for that weekend.
  • Options
    Since ERP and the rest of you aren't going to stop ridding my ass. I went ahead and scheduled it.

October 2nd 12pm.
    I'll be looking forward to your FINALLY passing this. No doubt you'll pass once you actually take it.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    I'll be looking forward to your FINALLY passing this. No doubt you'll pass once you actually take it.

I agree. I have been averaging 90% in all areas minus crypto and legal stuff. I need to make a quick pass over that stuff over the next few weeks. Especially crypto. It just isn't sinking in. Actually it isn't sticking.
  • Options
    I agree. I have been averaging 90% in all areas minus crypto and legal stuff. I need to make a quick pass over that stuff over the next few weeks. Especially crypto. It just isn't sinking in. Actually it isn't sticking.

([Deep sigh].....the second time I break my ban, but I have a feeling you'll actually do it this time so I hope I don't live to regret it).

The "legal stuff" isn't going to make or break you if you are solid on the other areas. The only thing I'd get down is what is qualitative/quantitative risk and the forumlas.

Crypto is a different story, but you have CCNA Security, so I'm not worried about you getting it to sink in!! I would seriously just read and reread Darril's Crypto chapter.....seriously, it helped me get my 870. With some quiet time, you only need to read it once, twice MAX.

If you really are taking the exam and need help with anything specific, don't be proud to ask. I just want to see this thread die (ON A POSITIVE NOTE of course... :D ).
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i bagged it earlyer this week not too difficult pretty straight forward exam

I have to say that when it starts expiring I dont think I would not have bothered with CompTIA now they are making them to expire its not really worth it.
    but Im glad I got in for life
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »

Crypto is a different story, but you have CCNA Security, so I'm not worried about you getting it to sink in!! I would seriously just read and reread Darril's Crypto chapter.....seriously, it helped me get my 870. With some quiet time, you only need to read it once, twice MAX.

Crypto was my weakest area on the CCNA:Security as well. I probably just need to reread the chapter in the Network Security Bible and Darrils book.
  • Options
    When is D-day?