CCNA/CCENT will change soon...what type of impact?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
So today at work, reading a few Cisco blogs and saw on Chris Bryant's blog that that the CCNP underwent a major change and that change isn't too far of for the CCNA/CCNET.

Don't want to get sucked into the hype, however want to know if this is true, what type of change are we going to see and how will this effect those who are trying to knock these certs out?
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    You can only expect so much from the entry and associate levels. People still need theory, subnetting, etc. However I could see them changing the topics again. For example, when they removed ISDN from CCNA. Perhaps it won't be long until we start seeing MPLS and L3 switching introduced at the CCNA level?
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    What timely post. I too just read on Chris Bryant's website about this coming in the fall.

So I'm sure there will be a rush to take this exam before the topics change. I can't honestly think the topics will change all that much. It's not like there's subnetting 2.0 or anything....

Layer 3 switch should be on the CCNA, it's not anymore complex than ROAS.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Crap, now I have to hurry up and get the exam done. I can't wait to see what Cisco has changed on the CCNA exam. It would be crazy if it was to have three parts to it. I'm thinking maybe stuff for the ICND2 material will be changed the most.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Crap, now I have to hurry up and get the exam done. I can't wait to see what Cisco has changed on the CCNA exam. It would be crazy if it was to have three parts to it. I'm thinking maybe stuff for the ICND2 material will be changed the most.

Man.....I was really trying to do this in December lol. I have an ICND2 class in fall icon_sad.gif. I'm pretty sure they'll give us some leeway before actually implementing the changes.

Worst comes to worst, I guess I'll just study for it immediately after Sec+ and take it at the end of August.
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have ICND2 scheduled for Monday June 14 (2 days away). If I fail and end up having to take a different test in the fall I might kill myself.
    :study:
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    I have ICND2 scheduled for Monday June 14 (2 days away). If I fail and end up having to take a different test in the fall I might kill myself.

Why are you playing around on the internet and not studying? Wait, my exam is in the morning. /hypocrite

Seriously though, from what I've noticed, you usually get about six months notice, and the old and new exams overlap for a bit. I wouldn't fret if you're trying to wrap up the current exams this year.
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I need to finish my ICND1 as soon as possible.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    That makes no sense. They only just revamped the CCNA a few years ago and added the extra CCNA Security, Voice, Wireless and now SP Operations. ICND 1 was also modified into what is now CCENT.

This was only a few years ago before the CCNP changes and it makes no sense to revamp them already as these certifications need a good few years out there in the field to become known about by hiring managers. To change them again so soon would seriously undermine their status I would think.

Think this is just fluff and bluster.
    Kam.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    That makes no sense. They only just revamped the CCNA a few years ago and added the extra CCNA Security, Voice, Wireless and now SP Operations. ICND 1 was also modified into what is now CCENT.

This was only a few years ago before the CCNP changes and it makes no sense to revamp them already as these certifications need a good few years out there in the field to become known about by hiring managers. To change them again so soon would seriously undermine their status I would think.

Think this is just fluff and bluster.

I agree with your statement but IT is always changing. This is from my expierence in being in the field for awhile.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
    Man.....I was really trying to do this in December lol. I have an ICND2 class in fall icon_sad.gif. I'm pretty sure they'll give us some leeway before actually implementing the changes.

Worst comes to worst, I guess I'll just study for it immediately after Sec+ and take it at the end of August.

Yea, I know people will have a few months before the new test will take total control but for some reason it makes me fell that I have studied old material when I new test is about to come out. I have this feeling for the Project+. I'm hoping to get the CCNA before the end of December. I plan on taking the ICND2 in October but I could always fail. I study a few hours a day for the ICND2 and its wearing me out. Anyways, I don't think that there will be a huge change to the CCNA exam.

I keep putting off the Security+ too. I'm trying to get that before January 1 2011 :S
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yea, I know people will have a few months before the new test will take total control but for some reason it makes me fell that I have studied old material when I new test is about to come out. I have this feeling for the Project+. I'm hoping to get the CCNA before the end of December. I plan on taking the ICND2 in October but I could always fail. I study a few hours a day for the ICND2 and its wearing me out. Anyways, I don't think that there will be a huge change to the CCNA exam.

I keep putting off the Security+ too. I'm trying to get that before January 1 2011 :S

I hoping they don't make a huge change. Yea, I agree with your statement about old material; I spent a lot of money getting these materials so its time to make that ROI haha. Security+ doesn't seem so bad after A+ and Net+; they just seem to build on each other. Hit up Darill's book and it's game over! icon_cheers.gif
    I hoping they don't make a huge change. Yea, I agree with your statement about old material; I spent a lot of money getting these materials so its time to make that ROI haha. Security+ doesn't seem so bad after A+ and Net+; they just seem to build on each other. Hit up Darill's book and it's game over! icon_cheers.gif

Another thing that sucks is buying alot of study material then to have a new test come out because if someone has to go back and use the material for reference for later on, it'll be old.
    Booya!!
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    edit: duh, read that post wrong lol.
    CCNP :study:
  • zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know this is coming. It makes sense. CCIE was updated, CCNP was updated, CCNA is next. I wouldn't be surprised if Cisco announce the changes the latter part of this year.

I don't know about the CCIE being updated back in 2005-2007 but Cisco did announce that CCNP exams were being updated and was put in retirement back in December 2006. The following year, Cisco retired the 640-801 curriculum (November 2007).
    :study: Life+
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I wonder if they will announce this during the Cisco Live event?
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    thx God i done with ccna 3 weeks ago icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
  • zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wonder if they will announce this during the Cisco Live event?

Who knows. That's what they did for the CCNP.
    :study: Life+
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Let me know when they change the CCVP =)
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    the impact will be minimal for pretty much everyone already studying for it now, the only exceptions will likely be those trying to do the 4 semester courses of the NetAcad through their community colleges, which is likely 1 to 2 years, so they will probably be the ones impacted, BUT, Cisco does a good job of grandfathering those people in so they won't be forced to take the new exam, they will likely get a grace period before they will have to take the new exam.

I don't think it matters too much though. We'll know well ahead of time, and even with a 6 month lead time to any changes, anybody already studying should have plenty of time to pass it.

It's a little premature to start worrying about it.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I could see Cisco changing the tests to keep up with the times a bit, like more focus on IPv6 or something like that. But I feel the whole CCNA experience will still based on the same foundations. Routing is still routing and switching is still switching. Everyone will still have to know subnetting, basic IOS commands, blah, blah, blah. I wouldn't worry about it too much.