Options

Oops; but this is how you learn

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
As I sit, waiting for this xmodem transfer to complete, I realize 2 things:
1) When following along with whatever training resource you're using, it's important to enter the command as shown, rather than trying to guess.
2) These kind of things teach you a LOT!

In my situation, the computer I'm watching cbtnuggets on does not have a serial port, so after Jeremy goes through how to wipe out the configs, I move to another system that does, and rather than erase startup-config, I erase flash: and reload. icon_rolleyes.gif

(hilarity ensues).
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    You live and learn.....

Did you modify your xmodem for 115000 baud? It's a lot faster than 9600...
  • Options
    joe48184joe48184 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hehe, I did that once also.. I still chuckle at myself when I think about it.
  • Options

No; I started the transfer running and went out since I had other things to do this morning.

However, since I just checked and it appears to have failed I think I'll ask how you do this? My image is only 3.5M so it doesn't take TOO long, but at 9600 baud it still takes a while.

EDIT: nevermind, found out. Yes, much faster!

• Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□

You don't say!
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    bermovick wrote: »
    No; I started the transfer running and went out since I had other things to do this morning.

However, since I just checked and it appears to have failed I think I'll ask how you do this? My image is only 3.5M so it doesn't take TOO long, but at 9600 baud it still takes a while.

EDIT: nevermind, found out. Yes, much faster!

Yes it's much faster, even with 3.5M, are you done now?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You'll do an XMODEM transfer at least twice in your Cisco career. Once when you accidentally erase the flash and then once again when you realise that you started the first one at 9600 baud.

Newer routers have the ability to load files via TFTP in ROMMON but you should still try the XMODEM transfer at least once so you know what it is like.

Its all a learning experience anyway. Nothing was broken and you'll be sure to be more careful next time around.
  • Options
    Yes it's much faster, even with 3.5M, are you done now?

Yup, took only 6 minutes rather than ... much longer.

I also think I figured out why it failed. Yay for working with unfamiliar software! I'd done a 'send file' with teraterm rather than 'transfer / XMODEM / send'.

• Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    You'll do an XMODEM transfer at least twice in your Cisco career. Once when you accidentally erase the flash and then once again when you realise that you started the first one at 9600 baud.

Newer routers have the ability to load files via TFTP in ROMMON but you should still try the XMODEM transfer at least once so you know what it is like.

Its all a learning experience anyway. Nothing was broken and you'll be sure to be more careful next time around.

This is why I like the feel of playing with real equipment.

But in any event, another newbie error which I ran into also was not verifying the file before trying to upload the image to flash.

Make sure you verify the image for any corruption.
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, loading IOS using TFTP under ROMMON is a lot better than XMODEM even if your baud rate is 115000.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    NeibyNeiby Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »

That is so, so true.