Options

Ubuntu and GNS3

2»

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    On 32-bit Windows Systems don't run more than 5 or 6 routers.... per instance. If you have the processor/memory, then run multiple instances.

If you only have light-weight PCs/Laptops -- spread the instances out over several machines.

That said I now have an i3 Laptop (quad processor) running Windows 7 64 bit with 4 Gig memory -- and run up to 8 instances at one time with room to spare.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    i3 is dual core.
    Anyways for me I could not make GNS3 to function on Windows the way I wanted it; but yesterday, I installed Ubuntu in VMware player under Windows 7 x64, it works like a charm.

How come this guy can use the show vlan command not the show vlan-switch command? And he configured his vlan like he's doing it with a real switch. Also, He is using GNS3. Watch that video and look at his command.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thehourman wrote: »
    i3 is dual core.

Exactly. 2 real cores, 2 hyperthreading cores. We don't call the P4 a dual core. :)
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    i3 is dual core.
    Anyways for me I could not make GNS3 to function on Windows the way I wanted it; but yesterday, I installed Ubuntu in VMware player under Windows 7 x64, it works like a charm.

How come this guy can use the show vlan command not the show vlan-switch command? And he configured his vlan like he's doing it with a real switch. Also, He is using GNS3. Watch that video and look at his command.

He may well be not using a switch within GNS3, and using one external to it. When he does a sh cdp neighbour, it shows 3550s, so I'd guess that is what he's using, notice how he's configuring something, without the routers in GNS3 being turned on?
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    stuh84 wrote: »
    He may well be not using a switch within GNS3, and using one external to it. When he does a sh cdp neighbour, it shows 3550s, so I'd guess that is what he's using, notice how he's configuring something, without the routers in GNS3 being turned on?
    Holy s*** I did not notice that. I have been google for hours to figure it out how he did that.
    I paid so much attention on his sh vlan command.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Holy s*** I did not notice that. I have been google for hours to figure it out how he did that.
    I paid so much attention on his sh vlan command.

Haha don't worry, you are like me, not seeing the wood for the trees in hoping theres a more technical reason :D
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1