Options

Test scheduled for Thursday

Comments

• Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck!
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    MicernestMicernest Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Goodluck... I think you should really force your brain to understand the first 4chapters of the MS Press book. Its badly written and arranged but it really helped me. Are you familiar with servers? Cos that helps too with this particular exams. IMO its more server based than vista.
  • Options
    bencmcbbencmcb Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Was there plenty of questions on command lines? were they very specific?

Veritas, we cannot win every time. Remain positive and I'm sure you'll make it next time!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bencmcb wrote: »
    Was there plenty of questions on command lines? were they very specific?

Veritas, we cannot win every time. Remain positive and I'm sure you'll make it next time!

Thanks for the vote of confidence icon_wink.gif

I was kind of depressed about it for the rest of day, but I got over it... :)

Yes there is definitely command-line on the test. That is what got me, switches, etc. I have been studying that since last Thursday and I am getting on a hand what I missed. I hope to be ready by the beginning of next month to conquer this dragon. Without question this exam should not be taken lightly.
  • Options
    DeepBlue99DeepBlue99 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IMO, 680 is a very poorly written exam. Theres a ton of subjects some of which are rather obscure. When combined with lousy prep books, it becomes a significant challenge as far as workstation exams go.

... and whats with the all the image deployment stuff on this exam? Vista line had a separate exam just for all this crap.

I would recommend staying clear of 680 and going for 620 instead.
  • Options
    DeepBlue99 wrote: »
    IMO, 680 is a very poorly written exam. Theres a ton of subjects some of which are rather obscure. When combined with lousy prep books, it becomes a significant challenge as far as workstation exams go.

... and whats with the all the image deployment stuff on this exam? Vista line had a separate exam just for all this crap.

Well if you are working in an enterprise environment than deployment is a part of it. Why would I or anyone else do the 620? Vista has come and gone and Windows 7 will probably be with us for a long time.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well if you are working in an enterprise environment than deployment is a part of it. Why would I or anyone else do the 620? Vista has come and gone and Windows 7 will probably be with us for a long time.
    True, besides that Veritas doesn't have that option.
    I took the Vista client exam and am now paying for it because I need to learn deployment for the 70-643. I also paid for it last week when I took the 70-642 and was unprepared for some of the questions thrown at me which I would have known better had I taken the 70-680.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□

Uh.. no.

70-680 might be a slightly hard test for a configuration exam but it is worth the MCTS: Windows 7 tag line.
    Businesses like to see potential candidates that are up to date with their certifications and studies.
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)
  • Options
    Rescheduled for the 6th of July, here we go again... icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Good luck! I'm sure you'll knock it out this time.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059

The 680 is one of the most well rounded Microsoft tests i've ever taken.

All topics are covered fairly and with very answerable questions, given you know the material.

The Vista exam was a joke since it covered barely more than consumer level stuff.
  • Options
    Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□

Good luck
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□

You'll kill it this time!
  • Options
    You'll kill it this time!

Thanks, I hope so! I bought the 30-day transcender subscription and so far I like it.
  • Options
    Got an 89% on the practice test tonight. I feel like have gained quite a bit more knowledge since the last exam. We will know for sure on Tuesday icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    The 680 is one of the most well rounded Microsoft tests i've ever taken.

All topics are covered fairly and with very answerable questions, given you know the material.

The Vista exam was a joke since it covered barely more than consumer level stuff.

I agree 100%. I never seriously considered sitting 620 there simply isn't enough enterprise networking stuff in it.

I found 680 a challenging exam and all the hard study that was necessary to pass meant I learnt a great deal. Though I'm fortunate in that I've been doing a full time IT course which finished in April and am starting a new one in a couple of weeks which covers advanced network infrastructure so I'll get to use Windows Server, Exchange, SQL Server etc on a daily basis so it will be a big bonus when it comes to studying and sitting MS exams.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    Test at 1:15 today. I didn't sleep very well last night so I'm hoping that doesn't affect my score icon_sad.gif On the other hand I feel very well about how my knowledge has increased since the last try. icon_thumright.gif

Back to the books icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Well it was close but I passed! :D

I have already been studying the 70-685, so I am going to try to get that done between semesters. I highly recommend reading the 70-685 MS Press while studying for the 70-680, it really helps clarify things that are lightly touched on in the 70-680.
  • Options
    Congrats!
    Did you find the test to be easier or harder than on your previous attempt?
    You might want to post any study tips you have over on the WGU community boards as a lot of people on there have taken, and failed, this test multiple times.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Congrats! Glad to see all the hard work paid off.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Congrats!
    Did you find the test to be easier or harder than on your previous attempt?

The 70-680 appears to be an island unto itself. Some of the questions were of similarity to the ones I had before, others made you scratch your head and ask, "where did that come from????" I even had a few that if a person didn't have Network+ / A+ knowledge you would never gotten the answer correct (I'm positive that the area was not covered in the MS Press book).

The 70-680 is a very broad exam that the MS Press book does not cover well enough. I think at this point with the limited books available for it, it is best to use the 70-680, 70-685, and 70-686 book to be prepared enough it for it (if you have limited MS client exposure). Of course you should also look at Claymoore's sticky, and search TechNet to thoroughly expose yourself to command-line syntax. Also do lots of labbing.

One final thought, the Transcender test did not help me at all. The MS Press practice CD was surprisingly better... Go figure!

I also learned a valuable lesson, taking an MS exam is all about understanding what is and what isn't important in what they ask. Their questions are ridiculously long and easy to get wrong if you don't reread them.
  • Options
    I also need to give Hyper-Me some cred for helping me out with syntax errors, and general questions that I had concerning 2008R2 and Windows 7.

The guy is full of MS deployment knowledge, though I do think he needs to go easy on the RedBull... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, I knew you would pass!!!!
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the 680 and 685!!!!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! I'm glad you passed.
  • Options
    bencmcbbencmcb Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□