Options

Western Governors University - Indiana

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

WGU Indiana is an online, competency-based university established by the state of Indiana through a partnership with Western Governors University to expand access to higher education for Indiana residents.
  • Over 50 accredited online bachelor’s and master’s degrees in high-demand career fields.
  • Flexible, online study, allowing you to balance work, family, and school.
  • Affordable tuition. WGU Indiana is a non-profit university.

Indiana Online Degree | Indiana Online University | WGU Indiana

Indiana launches WGU online university - Dayton Business Journal

New agreement forms Ind. branch of online college - Chicago Tribune

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    ..... and? There's about a million threads on this site about WGU as it is.,
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »
    ..... and? There's about a million threads on this site about WGU as it is.,

Did you even read the link? Just curious why you would hammer on me without checking this out. WGU had worked with the state of Indiana to create a fully online State of Indiana University. I actually think this is worth noting for Indiana community college students.

http://indiana.wgu.edu/tuition_financial_aid/indiana_excellence_overview
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Did you even read the link? Just curious why you would hammer on me without checking this out. WGU had worked with the state of Indiana to create a fully online State of Indiana University. I actually think this is worth noting for Indiana community college students.

WGU Indiana Academic Excellence Scholarship | Indiana Online Degree | WGU Indiana

Exactly. Totally unwarranted. If you didn't want to read the thread, simply don't click on it.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    thanks for posting that. My cousin in Indiana wanted to look at WGU so this might be right up her alley!
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995

WGU Indiana Academic Excellence Scholarship | Indiana Online Degree | WGU Indiana

My apologies. I saw the initial post (before additional links were added) and the quoted text from the website and figured it was another plug for WGU.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »
    My apologies. I saw the initial post (before additional links were added) and the quoted text from the website and figured it was another plug for WGU.

No problem...
  • Options
    cleanwithitcleanwithit Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No problem...

Wow, Veritas, this is awesome! I'm from Kentucky & this would help me out lots! Good news. Is the accreditation still the Northwest Commission? Is it exactly the same thing? Is there a WGU building in Indiana?

Never mind, WGU Indiana is only for Indiana residents icon_sad.gif But, it's good for WGU as a whole!
    A+, Network +, Linux +, MCP, MCTS, CCENT

A.S Network Administration
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow, Veritas, this is awesome! I'm from Kentucky & this would help me out lots! Good news. Is the accreditation still the Northwest Commission? Is it exactly the same thing? Is there a WGU building in Indiana?

Never mind, WGU Indiana is only for Indiana residents icon_sad.gif But, it's good for WGU as a whole!

"Full accreditation. As part of Western Governors University, WGU Indiana is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities and nationally accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council. Through the same relationship, the Teachers College at WGU Indiana is accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), and WGU Indiana's nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)."

Indiana Online Degree | Indiana Online University | WGU Indiana

I know this may not help you, but I figure this may answer the same questions for Indiana students.

I never figured Indiana to be a "Western" state though...Mid-West, sure...especially when it would take me approx. 12 hours to get there from Jersey. (Assuming I don't get a flat tire in the middle of the night...lmao....)
  • Options
    SunnyRainSunnyRain Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for posting this. I recently submitted an application for Ivy Tech here in Indiana, but have been looking into WGU threads on this site the past couple of days as this school seems to be a popular choice for IT degrees. I haven't even completed my orientation or formally enrolled in any classes yet, so I think I can still go with WGU if I decided to.

I'm not sure which degree to pursue at the moment. On one hand I would like to go for a straight IT degree, but on the other hand the BS Business IT Management seems like something I may enjoy more. The business-oriented degree may also be more likely to be paid for by my employer through tuition reimbursement, assuming that they would approve me going this route (something I need to discuss with the manager).

Currently I work in manufacturing but would like to get into something working with computers. However, I do not want to pursue a worthless degree - so any thoughts or advice on which degree to go for at WGU would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Edit:
    I noticed that the BS IT Mgmt degree does not include any certs. I'm wondering if this degree, coupled with independently-pursued certs, would make my skill set and resume more attractive than a general IT degree which includes the certs with the program. Or is it really more worthwhile to go after the IT degree w/certs?
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SunnyRain wrote: »
    Quick Edit:
    I noticed that the BS IT Mgmt degree does not include any certs. I'm wondering if this degree, coupled with independently-pursued certs, would make my skill set and resume more attractive than a general IT degree which includes the certs with the program. Or is it really more worthwhile to go after the IT degree w/certs?

You may want to look into this one:
    Online Network Design Degree | Indiana Bachelor?s Degree | WGU Indiana College of Information Technology

I chose that myself so that I could get certs and plus parlay that into an MBA at a later date if I choose to. That seems to be a popular choice for those with our interests. I looked into the Business one and the Database one and found that this one may be best for my career for right now.

Alternatively, you can also go with the generic IT degree. Whatever you decide, good luck.
  • Options
    SunnyRainSunnyRain Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You may want to look into this one:
    Online Network Design Degree | Indiana Bachelor?s Degree | WGU Indiana College of Information Technology

I chose that myself so that I could get certs and plus parlay that into an MBA at a later date if I choose to. That seems to be a popular choice for those with our interests. I looked into the Business one and the Database one and found that this one may be best for my career for right now.

Alternatively, you can also go with the generic IT degree. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Thanks for your suggestion with this. That degree certainly does offer an impressive list of certs which are frequently in demand on job postings. A BS in Networks Design and Management along with an MBA would be a pretty potent combination in seeking an IT & Business oriented career.