Options

CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201

froufrou123froufrou123 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, is there a way I could buy a PDF version of this book? Kindle for PC doesn't work under my ubuntu's wine, tried my level best.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Hey guys, is there a way I could buy a PDF version of this book? Kindle for PC doesn't work under my ubuntu's wine, tried my level best.

Thanks!

Sorry, but a PDF version of the book isn't available. Interesting that Kindle for PC doesn't work on Ubuntu. I have a friend that's a Ubuntu fanatic and swears that he can do anything on his system that he can do on a Windows PC. You may have found the exception... or a challenge that he'll master.

Good luck with your studies.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364
    Security+ Blog
  • Options
    Hey Darril, your book is an enjoyable read. However, I wanted make sure if there's a typo in Chapter 9 under SSL section.

The 3rd point says, "The client creates a session key and then encrypts it with the private key." Whereas number 3 in the diagram says that the session key is encrypted with the public key that server sends to the client.

Please clarify, Thanks.
  • Options
    AnthonyGAnthonyG Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□

Thanks!

Setup Sun Virtual box and set up windows vm and then use Kindle for PC on that.
  • Options
    Thanks AnthonyG, I've been using virtualbox. It works great.
  • Options
    Hey Darril, your book is an enjoyable read. However, I wanted make sure if there's a typo in Chapter 9 under SSL section.

The 3rd point says, "The client creates a session key and then encrypts it with the private key." Whereas number 3 in the diagram says that the session key is encrypted with the public key that server sends to the client.

Please clarify, Thanks.

Ouch. It seems like no matter how many times we review a book, it always slips out with errors. Thanks for letting me know this. The diagram is accurate and step 3 on pg 422 should read as"The client creates a session key and then encrypts it with the public key" just as you suspected.

I've posted the typo to the book's errata page here: CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead Errata

I also posted a video on YouTube that explains the SSL handshake process that may be helpful. I explain it in the video just like I do in the classroom. YouTube - Security+ HTTPS and SSL

Good luck with your studies.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ Tip of day Tweets
  • Options
    cnortoncnorton Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ordered my book yesterday. I'm excited. gotta required date of Aug 2. gotta hit that book up hard along with my usual powerpoint slides, lol.

This forum is great motivation...
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Darril wrote: »
    I also posted a video on YouTube that explains the SSL handshake process that may be helpful. I explain it in the video just like I do in the classroom. YouTube - Security+ HTTPS and SSL

That is really above and beyond, heck just being on the forum giving us feedback is above and beyond. Thanks for taking the time to be here and help us. I will have to check this video out when I get home (youtube is a taboo site here at work)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently studying for security+.
    I found out about darril's book from this forum.
    I was studying pretty well and lost motivation..... I read to cho 9 and then stopped.
    Feedback on book since I have several sec+ books,
    This book seems to be best.

Note about kindle....
    I also recently bought a kindle plus price was cut $70. Main reason is text to speech and I noticed Daril was nice and enabled this for his book. I also bought the kindle very and it is great.

So, I'll continue my studies, making my own notes and listening to book in the car..... And reading the physical book. Too bad there is not a discount if you buy the physical and the kindle version.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree too, it is great daril is using site to get and give feedback on his book.
  • Options
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    I'm currently studying for security+.
    I found out about darril's book from this forum.
    I was studying pretty well and lost motivation..... I read to cho 9 and then stopped.
    Feedback on book since I have several sec+ books,
    This book seems to be best.

Note about kindle....
    I also recently bought a kindle plus price was cut $70. Main reason is text to speech and I noticed Daril was nice and enabled this for his book. I also bought the kindle very and it is great.

So, I'll continue my studies, making my own notes and listening to book in the car..... And reading the physical book. Too bad there is not a discount if you buy the physical and the kindle version.

Thanks for the kind words about the book. Listening to it in your car sounds like a great strategy.

Good idea about a discount for the physical and Kindle version. I decided to try $9.99 as a price for the Kindle for a limited time. I know I like the Kindle (and Kindle apps) for some things, but other times, I want a book I can hold in my hand so I figured $9.99 would be affordable if anyone wanted both.

Good luck on the exam. Let us know how you do.

Darril Gibson
  • Options
    nebapnebnebapneb Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the kind words about the book. Listening to it in your car sounds like a great strategy.

Good idea about a discount for the physical and Kindle version. I decided to try $9.99 as a price for the Kindle for a limited time. I know I like the Kindle (and Kindle apps) for some things, but other times, I want a book I can hold in my hand so I figured $9.99 would be affordable if anyone wanted both.

Good luck on the exam. Let us know how you do.

Darril Gibson
    just downloaded kindle for android so i could get it on ebook too
    $11.74 instead of $9.99 on amazon for some reason
    still works out at about 79 pence with current exchange rates(in my head at least!)
    now i'm going to have to buy a kindle too for the text to speech
    too much month at the end of the money at this rate =)
    Knackered from working too much, yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn!
  • Options
    I just started reading the book last night. I'm hoping I can beat the 45 day timeline. I was shooting for 4-5 weeks but I can be flexible. I'll be purchasing either Trainsignal or CBT nuggets to go with the book, but haven't made my mind up either way yet. I'm starting off a little slow, just finished my MCSA on saturday so I'm not jumping completely in yet. But once I get in the swing of things I'll be putting in 2-3+ hours a day.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used Labsim/Testout and it was really good for the Sec+. 45 days is plenty of time as I was ready for mine in less time than that.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I'm quite excited for the CompTIA questions. I have had plenty of Microsoft questions the past couple of months. This feels almost like a vacation!
  • Options
    Coupe of questions on the 78 practice questions found in the introduction.

First, how close is this to the actual test? Obviously, the number is off. But is this the type of questions that I will be expected to know?

I am also curious on what is a good score. Surely this book isn't intended for someone who can't answer a single question. I got 47 correct, which is just over 60%. Is that a good place to be considering that I am just starting?
  • Options
    killuah72killuah72 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Coupe of questions on the 78 practice questions found in the introduction.

First, how close is this to the actual test? Obviously, the number is off. But is this the type of questions that I will be expected to know?

I am also curious on what is a good score. Surely this book isn't intended for someone who can't answer a single question. I got 47 correct, which is just over 60%. Is that a good place to be considering that I am just starting?

I think that's a good score. I just did the assessment the other day and I scored just below 50%. I skipped the questions that I haven't learned yet so I don't trick myself into getting a slightly better score by guessing. I just read the first three chapters and they are pretty straightforward and I only missed 1 question on each of the "end of chapter" quizzes. The initial assessment just gave me an idea of how much new information I needed to learn so I think you are gonna be just fine if you got 60% on the assessment.

I used to be scared of this exam thinking that it is all about hacking and cryptography that's why I avoided this but it's actually not so bad. When are you planning to take the test? I might go for at the end of the month because I heard people passing this test just by using Darril's book.
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post, just been a voyeur for a while. I want to say thanks to the many knowledgeable posters on this site that have really helped in steering my choices of study material and how to prepare for this test.

I am set to take my test tomorrow. The resources I've used are Darril's book, the Sybex book (Deluxe version with the CD and practice tests) and the TechNotes. Been scoring around the 90% range except for the CompTIA practice test, which I scored in the low 80% range. Many have said that the CompTIA is really harder than the actual test so I'm not too concerned.

Darril's book is probably the most comprehensive and easiest to grasp the concepts. Sybex book did have the same information but went a little deeper into some of the explanations. I have not used any third-party test sites.

I think I am prepared but nervous since I haven't tested for a cert in over ten years. Going to reread Darril's book again today to brush up on policies and crypto, and make sure I have the viruses types and authentication methods down pat. Really don't think I need much else. Wish me luck. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Welcome to TE and good luck on your test!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Welcome and good luck.

My goal is 4 weeks. In 2 weeks I will assess where I'm at and decide if I should book the test 2 weeks out or 3.

That is the plan at least, but I am willing to change it up if I need to.
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    I passed yesterday with an 845.

Thanks TE and especially Darril for the study guide.
  • Options
    Congrats on the pass.
  • Options
    Congrats! That's a really good score.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I decided to try $9.99 as a price for the Kindle for a limited time.
    It's a good price for the people who want add the eBook version to their physical copy for reading/study purposes -- or for impulse purchases.

I just spent the $9.99 to see if all those 5 star ratings on Amazon were for real. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I just bought the Kindle version. I was debating on buying the book or using my other materials. The $9.99 price made the decision for me. Thanks, Darril. You're support in this forum really helped the decision to even consider it. So far, it looks awesome.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    PC509 wrote: »
    I just bought the Kindle version. I was debating on buying the book or using my other materials. The $9.99 price made the decision for me. Thanks, Darril. You're support in this forum really helped the decision to even consider it. So far, it looks awesome.

on payday i plan to do the exact opposite i know id get distracted reading a book on computer so i plan on getting the print version
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    shecoolshecool Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recently bought the paper back version but I think I may end up getting the kindle version as well. I like having books to read on my computer at work during non-peak hours. :)
    Up Next: CCDA, CCDP
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is the $9.99 Kindle price just a promo price or is that price going to stick? I am not starting on Security+ for another month but I wonder if I should pick it up now while it is so cheap.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just ordered this book last night myself. My goal is to obtain the CISSP, but my first step in this journey is obtaining my Security + certification. I especially want to obtain the Security + this year, due to the changes in CompTIA's policies regarding certification longevity.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just got the Kindle version of Darril's book. At $9.99 I couldn't pass it up!!!
    What a deal :)

Thanks Darril!
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Can I get a rebate? icon_lol.gif j/k

I take the test on Thursday and I've primarily read Darril's book and tested my knowledge on his tests, the Transcenders and MeasureUp. I read through the whole thing and I really can't wait now!