Options

New Cisco self-study books for CCNP?

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
Surely Cisco created new self-study books for their new CCNP track? I'm sure it was needed, but it was also a cash-cow as no one can buy them used.

So what are the essential titles of the CCNP books needed to pass the NP tests now?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    Surely Cisco created new self-study books for their new CCNP track?

All new books (and bells & whistles) can be found listed on the Cisco Press CCNP web page

If you're serious about the CCNP, you may as well buy the "libraries"
    CCNP Routing and Switching Foundation Learning Library
    Pre-Order -- they should all be done by July sometime.....

CCNP Routing and Switching Official Certification Library

I like the "Reference Sheets" -- they can be used as an overview before you start to study, or as a review sitting out in the parking lot of the test center on exam day.
    CCNP Routing and Switching Quick Reference

But you can also get the "Cert Kits" which have "Videos" and the Online Flashcards and the Reference Sheets for each exam.

The Command Reference books are also available for each exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks, Mike. I just want to make sure I'm not buying "old" books with material not necessarily covered in the new curriculum.

Also, do you know if the various videos (like Trainsignal, CBT Nuggets) have come out with videos for the new NP track? I've heard Cisco has culled out some material from the old track not covered in the new. Don't know if it's true or not.
  • Options
    Also, do you know if the various videos (like Trainsignal, CBT Nuggets) have come out with videos for the new NP track?
    CBT Nuggets has ROUTE listed for 3rd quarter of 2010 -- and SWITCH and TSHOOT for some point in the future. I couldn't find an update page for the TrainSignal videos.

Most people will probably still use the BSCI & BCMSN for the ROUTE and SWITCH exams until the new ones come out.

Not sure where the QoS and/or MPLS stuff went in the new/updated exams -- so some of the other "obsolete ONT/ISCW exam training videos" may still have some use.
  • Options
    I picked up this book while studying for my CCNA in the Cisco Networking Academy. Do you think it should be sufficient to study for the ROUTE test in the meantime?

ShowCover.asp?isbn=1587131358
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I picked up this book while studying for my CCNA in the Cisco Networking Academy. Do you think it should be sufficient to study for the ROUTE test in the meantime?

ShowCover.asp?isbn=1587131358

Absolutely! Why not?

Has things changed in RIPv1? RIPV2? Since this book was written? Take what you can from the book, keep in mind of any recent changes but I've learned to start looking at some older books with topics that haven't changed all that much....

These books aren't useless at all....
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Absolutely! Why not?

Has things changed in RIPv1? RIPV2? Since this book was written? Take what you can from the book, keep in mind of any recent changes but I've learned to start looking at some older books with topics that haven't changed all that much....

These books aren't useless at all....

Yeah, it never hurts. I had an old BSCI book along with the updated version and it was cool to see what HAD changed. The majority of changes were done to BGP.
  • Options
    Do you think it should be sufficient to study for the ROUTE test in the meantime?
    It would keep you off the street until the ROUTE Foundation book is published.

The ROUTE/SWITCH has "twice" the hands-on of the old BSCI/BCMSN exams -- and the TSHOOT is supposed to be 92% hands on..... not sure how that's reflected in the Cisco Press self-study books. Keep that in mind while you're reading the Academy Routing book -- and feel free to jump on Dynamips (or GNS3) to lab stuff up.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    It would keep you off the street until the ROUTE Foundation book is published.

The ROUTE/SWITCH has "twice" the hands-on of the old BSCI/BCMSN exams -- and the TSHOOT is supposed to be 92% hands on..... not sure how that's reflected in the Cisco Press self-study books. Keep that in mind while you're reading the Academy Routing book -- and feel free to jump on Dynamips (or GNS3) to lab stuff up.

Just waiting for minne to bbe posted, had it on pre-order for a while now...

I think any thing that teaches you fundemenntals will help. but you want at least one official guide to round out your studies..
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    My SWITCH book has been on pre-order forever! When will it come!!

I've kinda been putting off taking the SWITCH exam because I wanted to flip through the book at least once but I'm getting really antsy....
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Well I ordered Wendell's books from Amazon, they should be here by Monday or Tuesday. All three books came in a pack for $140.
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My SWITCH book has been on pre-order forever! When will it come!!

I've kinda been putting off taking the SWITCH exam because I wanted to flip through the book at least once but I'm getting really antsy....

While the actual book is not available notgoing2fail (I think it is June 25 listed on the site), you can obtain the ebook copy right now. They give you the option to buy the book, the ebook, or both. I went ahead and bought both and it was pricey for around 90 bucks, but at least I can start checking the material against the certification guide now and start getting ready for for the test. Anyway, just some info in case you didn't know.
  • Options
    tanix wrote: »
    While the actual book is not available notgoing2fail (I think it is June 25 listed on the site), you can obtain the ebook copy right now. They give you the option to buy the book, the ebook, or both. I went ahead and bought both and it was pricey for around 90 bucks, but at least I can start checking the material against the certification guide now and start getting ready for for the test. Anyway, just some info in case you didn't know.

I think I knew about that, but either way I forgot until you just reminded me. I optioned for the book obviously as you can see...

$90 bucks is a lot but you are investing in yourself, and there's no price you can put on that!
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would like to give back to give community:

You can get 40% off list price at Borders.

Borders | Coupon jw3coup40

This brings the price of the new CCNP Foundation Learning Library down to $105.
    The CCNP Certification Library would be about $96.
  • Options
    DPG wrote: »
    I would like to give back to give community:

You can get 40% off list price at Borders.

Borders | Coupon jw3coup40

This brings the price of the new CCNP Foundation Learning Library down to $105.
    The CCNP Certification Library would be about $96.

Dude! AWESOME find!! I was at BN the other day and saw a CCIE R&S book that was $90 alone!! I freaked out!! Oh yeah, it was heavy too...

So now I'll have to find a Borders near me and use this coupon, should bring the price down significantly!!

Good lookin' out!!
  • Options
    *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The SWITCH and ROUTE foundations get released next Friday, so hopefully I will have them by Tuesday. Its taking forever.
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • Options
    *BB* wrote: »
    The SWITCH and ROUTE foundations get released next Friday, so hopefully I will have them by Tuesday. Its taking forever.

Oh cool. I can wait another week.
  • Options
    *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Finally got an email saying my books will be here Friday. About time
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    my price is 95dlls :)