Options

What inspires you?

SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
We all need inspiration from something, somewhere, or someone, so what's your inspiration?

I like things like this

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

"Invictus" By William Ernest Henley
It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Way to make everyone who answers "hot women" feel like a jerk...
  • Options
    Well, we all know that T and A and hookers and blow can be inspiring, no question :)

But I wondered what seriously inspires the rest of you other than that lol
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »

Damn, about choked on my drink!
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'll be honest and say I hadn't ever heard that piece before watching the film Invictus recently with Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon in it. Reading the words from that is truly inspiring and very relevant to the battles one faces in life.

My inspiration comes from my dreams, I know where I wanna be in 5 years. Ill tell my family and my friends and they always remind be it's gonna be tough......bring it on.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Music, either listening to, creating, or recording it. When it hits me in the chest, and I can feel what the band feels when making it, I'm more inspired than ever.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    the money, the hookers, the fast cars, the thrill of the chase.......

oh wait you mean in IT, not my drug running racket icon_biggrin.gif

quite simply technology I love it, In my eyes I get paid for my hobby. Don't get me wrong there are elements that I don't enjoy but that goes with any job, but none have given me as much versatility as IT has.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A happy and contented family, a Maserati Granturismo S and a house in my favourite 'burb.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Career wise - Looking after my family, improving myself, knowledge for knowledge's sake.
    Personal - My wife (pretty much everything), Music (listening, writing).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    career - learning, money, growing professionally, new technology
    personal - my girlfriend, family (my nephews for sure) and friends, music,art and learning.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The dawn of a new day! The ability to thank my maker for it by learning something new, making myself a better person and passing that knowledge on.

or on a less serious note...

To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    If Hot women is your inspiration, you might be in the wrong field. They typically like to hang around movie stars and athletes.

What inspires me is just the drive to succeed. My family plays a big part in that, I want to achieve something to bring more money back to them.

Along the way I have picked up friends and colleagues, and I also want to succeed in order to prove something to them I guess.

I guess the last thing that inspires me, is something that I tend to overlook. My Pride. I want to be the best, settling for second isn't good enough. Now I know this is an unrealistic goal, I will never be the best, and likely never even be high enough up to get national attention. But that is ok, at some point in my life I will have to choose whether I want to be the best and devote myself 24/7 to my studies, or to choose to have a happy life with my family, and I know I'm choosing family.

Pash wrote: »
    I'll be honest and say I hadn't ever heard that piece before watching the film Invictus recently with Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon in it. Reading the words from that is truly inspiring and very relevant to the battles one faces in life.

I take it that this is a good movie? I've been wanting to see it, but don't leave much room for tv watching in my schedule.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    Personal - My wife (pretty much everything),

I take it your wife is a frequent visitor to these forums?? good answer.

Just kidding,

I agree with you. As a younger man, when I say family I am mainly mean my parents and other close realatives. As I get older that will be extended to include my wife and kids.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Actually....well, just in case :)
    To steal a line from As Good as It Gets, because they simply said it best - she makes me want to be a better man (and occasionally run screaming out of the house).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with a good wife Ahriakin, it has it's benefits!! and no i'm not referring just to ***

someone to cook, clean, and do the dishes

also someone to set out milk and cookies for you when you've spent a few hours studying
  • Options
    Selfmade wrote: »
    also someone to set out milk and cookies for you when you've spent a few hours studying

Of after you have just placed all of the presents under the tree.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Selfmade wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a good wife Ahriakin, it has it's benefits!! and no i'm not referring just to ***

someone to cook, clean, and do the dishes

Now thats funny.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.