Options

Streaming media to PS3

wayers22wayers22 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I can stream MKV files and everything else fine, however when I stream AVI files my router is constantly rebooted. I am currently using ps3mediaserver, however I have used WMP and I have tried on various OS's.

I feel that the problem is somewhere in the router. I have a linksys wrt54g, I read that dd-wrt would fix the problem, so I flashed my router to dd-wrt. I am still having this issue. If someone else has experienced this issue, please help.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Hmm... Maybe the UPNP daemon on the router is getting confused for some reason? You can try turning it off to see if it helps. It is used for NAT traversal for things like MSN and P2P applications. It won't be used by the internal streaming of media via UPNP that you're doing.
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    No need to stream, just throw the files on a USB stick or external hdd and plug right into the front of the PS3. They play right off them, just make sure to press triangle then display all or else they won't be listed for some dumb reason.
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I actually just got a WRT54GL that I was planning to start messing with the coming weeks with things of this nature. I was planning to go with OpenWRT though...but I will let you know what happens nonetheless.
    :study:
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    No need to stream, just throw the files on a USB stick or external hdd and plug right into the front of the PS3. They play right off them, just make sure to press triangle then display all or else they won't be listed for some dumb reason.

This will certainly work, but if it were me, I would be too lazy to do this. I've actually considered ripping all of my dvd's onto an external HDD (alright, more than one) so that I can stream them to all of PC's over my wireless network.

Haven't done it yet because it would be expensive, and also I don't watch too many movies. Why put all of the work in if I can't really enjoy it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    This will certainly work, but if it were me, I would be too lazy to do this. I've actually considered ripping all of my dvd's onto an external HDD (alright, more than one) so that I can stream them to all of PC's over my wireless network.

Haven't done it yet because it would be expensive, and also I don't watch too many movies. Why put all of the work in if I can't really enjoy it.

I have a server in the center of my house that distributes all of my media. It always worked fine streaming to the xbox when I had it, however the ps3 doesnt work. It's just too much of a hassel to constantly move files when streaming should work fine.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Hmm... Maybe the UPNP daemon on the router is getting confused for some reason? You can try turning it off to see if it helps. It is used for NAT traversal for things like MSN and P2P applications. It won't be used by the internal streaming of media via UPNP that you're doing.

I've read where UPNP could be causing this, however I was hesitant to disable it on my router since I do use P2P apps.
  • Options
    wayers22 wrote: »
    I've read where UPNP could be causing this, however I was hesitant to disable it on my router since I do use P2P apps.
    Just turn it off for testing. You can turn it back on afterwards.

If you're using something like Bittorrent then you can set a specific port to forward from the router to the machine that runs your client. If so then you don't need UPNP at all.

UPNP is a security risk and not designed particularly well anyway.
  • Options
    Just turn it off for testing. You can turn it back on afterwards.

If you're using something like Bittorrent then you can set a specific port to forward from the router to the machine that runs your client. If so then you don't need UPNP at all.

UPNP is a security risk and not designed particularly well anyway.

Will disabling UPNP effect my online gameplay? Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    Will disabling UPNP effect my online gameplay? Thanks for the help.
    If you're connecting to servers then generally no. If you're hosting then maybe.

If something suddenly stops working then its because UPNP is needed and you either need to turn it back on or set up some port forwarding rules.
  • Options
    If you're connecting to servers then generally no. If you're hosting then maybe.

If something suddenly stops working then its because UPNP is needed and you either need to turn it back on or set up some port forwarding rules.

I think I'm going to disable UPNP on my router and place my PS3 in a DMZ. I'll give this a try tonight, hopefully it will work.
  • Options
    I think I'm going to disable UPNP on my router and place my PS3 in a DMZ. I'll give this a try tonight, hopefully it will work.
    Eh. Just turn off UPNP to see if it even affects it first. No point rearranging your network if you're not sure it will fix it.
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Devilsbane wrote: »

Actually, sticking them on a USB stick to me is the lazy way. Why spend all day trying to figure out how to stream when it takes 10 seconds to drag and drop to USB.
  • Options
    Actually, sticking them on a USB stick to me is the lazy way. Why spend all day trying to figure out how to stream when it takes 10 seconds to drag and drop to USB.

Figuring out how to stream is easy. I just have a strange case that my AVI files lose the connection.

I'm too lazy to walk the flash drive back and forth all the time. Plus you wouldn't be able to play HD content on removable media.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

I would do 10 hours of work if it is going to save me 10 seconds each time I wanted to do something.

I think part of this whole process is a chance to learn. I love tinkering with technology, so the 10 hours of work is actually enjoyable.

When I got my new job a few months back, I spent hours customizing my entire workspace, I also wrote a startup script that will launch all of my applcations and webpages that I need when I login. Why? to save 2 minutes each morning.
    Decide what to be and go be it.