Options

Just Sat last Saturday for CISSP

Rich13Rich13 Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Sat last Saturday in Toronto and am already going crazy. The exam was definitely challenging as expected. I left the exam completely confused whether I passed or not. I would say I could have scored anywhere between 600-900? For me its been a unique experience as I know I didn't bomb it but I also can only recall maybe a dozen questions? For study material I used AIO 4th, Sybex and also attended a CISSP prep at a local University in Toronto. I also invested in the Transcender practice tests as I have found them useful in getting my MCSE 2000/2003. I keep bouncing back and forth in my head thinking I failed or passed. I knew the process of test results when I signed up so accept them accordingly but right now I think it sucks and am questioning the necessity of the wait? Writing out my experience feels better at least until the next panic attack LOL!!!

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well good luck!!! Venting always helps... breath... icon_lol.gif
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    burnewebburneweb Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I sat last Saturday too and I am anxiously awaiting my results.
    I am fairly confident that I passed but, with this exam, who the hell knows for sure!?

I hope I never have to take it again because the whole experience was quite nerve racking.

Good luck on obtaining a passing score!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Good luck to both of you. icon_thumright.gif

Now go find something else to do for the next few weeks that'll take your mind off the wait.
  • Options
    burnewebburneweb Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray,

Thanks.

I'm actually breathing a big sigh of relief just getting the exam behind me.
    Many people where I work still have to sit for the exam later this month and early next month.

I feel for them more than myself waiting for the results because it is all out of my hands at this point and they still face the pressure of actually taking it.
  • Options
    cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    Rich13 wrote: »
    Sat last Saturday in Toronto and am already going crazy. The exam was definitely challenging as expected. I left the exam completely confused whether I passed or not. I would say I could have scored anywhere between 600-900? For me its been a unique experience as I know I didn't bomb it but I also can only recall maybe a dozen questions? For study material I used AIO 4th, Sybex and also attended a CISSP prep at a local University in Toronto. I also invested in the Transcender practice tests as I have found them useful in getting my MCSE 2000/2003. I keep bouncing back and forth in my head thinking I failed or passed. I knew the process of test results when I signed up so accept them accordingly but right now I think it sucks and am questioning the necessity of the wait? Writing out my experience feels better at least until the next panic attack LOL!!!

I could only recall 1 question....only because it was so short of a question. Best thing to do, is catch up on having a life again.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for there input as it helps to know others know how you feel. As I wait in anticipation and go over the effort and focus I've put into this, my mind starts to wonder why I did this? I've performed security work as part of my Sys Admin position over the last 8-9yrs and am using the CISSP study and hopefully Certification as a direction into a more specific security role. I've learned an enormous amount through the process and can attest to the value but still? The commitment (Time) required by myself, my work and my family was definitely more than I anticipated. Monetarily so far it's been approximately $1700.00. Does anyone have any feedback on how it helped/changed there career in a positive manner. I'm starting to feel like Jerry Maguire writing a mission statement so I better stop and get back to my pacing and worrying over my pending notification for something I can't remember why I started in the first place. Please take most of this in jest as this is my way of releasing my anxiety.
  • Options
    sp00ledsp00led Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Was the test 250 questions? On the cccure.org exam overview (CISSP EXAM OVERVIEW) they said it was but someone I work with told me it was 1000 questions. Maybe there was a miscommunication and they were talking about 1000 points? Just wanted to verify with someone else who took it recently as the cccure.org flash is dated 2007.
  • Options
    For the CISSP exam you are given six hours to complete 250 exam items. A passing score is 700/1000 points. You only receive your score if you fail the exam.
  • Options
    I can't remember why I started in the first place. Please take most of this in jest as this is my way of releasing my anxiety.
    People get certifications for a variety of reasons:

• Looking for reasons for their boss to give them a raise/promotion
    • Want to make themselves more marketable to new employers
    • Looking to move their career in a different direction
    • Want to add something to their resume that easier than education and faster than experience
    • The cert subject is of a hobby or personal interest
    • People just love to collect licenses/certifications ("Cert Hounds")
    Any other reasons that I've left out?
  • Options
    cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    JDMurray wrote: »
    People get certifications for a variety of reasons:

• Looking for reasons for their boss to give them a raise/promotion
    • Want to make themselves more marketable to new employers
    • Looking to move their career in a different direction
    • Want to add something to their resume that easier than education and faster than experience
    • The cert subject is of a hobby or personal interest
    • People just love to collect licenses/certifications ("Cert Hounds")
    Any other reasons that I've left out?
    Impresses the ladies....
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • Options
    cabrillo24 wrote: »
    Impresses the ladies....
    That's certainly what dynamik hopes...

icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Does anyone have any feedback on how it helped/changed there career in a positive manner.

Sure, I earned my CISSP and it allowed me to transfer into an IA position here, (unfortunately as an internal transfer I got totally hosed on pay, I might be lowest-paid CISSP on the planet excluding India, LOL) but I am hopefully moving back to the states soon - going back to work for the company I worked for in Germany, in Colorado now. Offer letter signed, waiting on contract award. and it easiy doubled my salary (although I will now have to pay income tax, LOL)

It was an investment for me, and is beginning to pay off.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    I am now officially in OCD mode. Checking email every hour or so. I know it's only been ten days since I wrote the exam but I can't help it. No matter what anyone says about keeping your mind off it. The board helps calm me down a bit. icon_rolleyes.gif

R
  • Options
    dorawedorawe Member Posts: 106
    Man, I know how you feel, I took the test on May 15th and got the results on June 6th that I passed. Just hang in there...........
  • Options
    OK, I have
    • spent time with family
    • relaxed and got back to a normal routine
    • re-focused on some work projects I was ignoring
    • caught up on the honey-do list
    I am on day 16 and am now officially losing my mind. Writing the exam seems like a dream I had. With the knowledge that (most) people spend approx 6-12 months preparing and the commitment involved I am surprised at the length of time it takes to receive the results. It seems to me that a change may be in order. How about "You will receive your results 3 weeks from taking the exam, Not before and not after" at least then exam takers can have an expectation. I have been checking my email. junk folder and cccure results thread almost hourly since mid last week. Then yesterday I have company over and was afraid to check my email in case my nightmare of a failing score comes through while guests are over and I slip into a depression before their eyes. Could be 5 mins, a day , a week, 4 weeks? It all just seems unnecessary to me. Like I said "Losing my mind"
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey Rich,

Any news yet?

Ive seen a couple updates from people getting the results in the last day or two but beyond being able to tell they took the exam in June before the 14th, I couldnt really identify their exact test date except that it was either sunday the 6th or sunday the 13th.

It looks like the turn around time is somewhere between 17 and 24 days.

Im looking to your exam group to try and estimate the turnaround time for my exam group on 6/22.

BTW, what was the actual date of your exam?

-APR911
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for being my sounding board through my wait. I got the good news today that I passed!!!

Date of Exam: June 12, 2010
    Place of Exam: Toronto, ON, Canada
    Results Received: June 30, 2010
    Results of Exam: PASSED!

Used Shon harris AIO 4th, Sybex, Transcender Practice exams
    Also attended a great CISSP Prep at Ryerson University in Toronto
    Jan-Apr 2010 Wednesday nights. I found the pace to work for me as it covered one CBK per week.
  • Options
    apr911 wrote: »
    Hey Rich,

Any news yet?

Ive seen a couple updates from people getting the results in the last day or two but beyond being able to tell they took the exam in June before the 14th, I couldnt really identify their exact test date except that it was either sunday the 6th or sunday the 13th.

It looks like the turn around time is somewhere between 17 and 24 days.

Im looking to your exam group to try and estimate the turnaround time for my exam group on 6/22.

BTW, what was the actual date of your exam?

-APR911

APR11, check out cccure.org forums. They have a thread on the CISSP- Certification Process "CISSP EXAM STUS & RESULTS" where people just post when they took the exam and when they received their results. I found it helpful to monitor.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for being my sounding board through my wait. I got the good news today that I passed!!!
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

Glad we could help ease your stress.