Lol STP

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
This just happened and I thought I'd share it with everyone to give you a chuckle.

Just got the 4 crossover cables I'd ordered in. I didn't need 4, but that gives me a few extra if I need them later. Anyways I quickly power up switch #2 and plug all 4 in to ports 7-10 on both switches. I'd wanted to use 9-12 but the ends are a bit too big. Oh well, I may pull those coverings off.

I then spent the next several minutes trying to figure out WHY 3 OF THE PORTS WERE AMBER!!! Oh no; do I have bad ports? Did I do a shutdown on them? WHY DOES IT SAY UP/UP? GAAAAH

Then I stopped and looked at it for a second and tried to actually think rather than just do a panicked search. After about 5 seconds I had to 'duh!' at myself. icon_redface.gif

Fa0/7 Root FWD 19 128.7 P2p Peer(STP)
Fa0/8 Altn BLK 19 128.8 P2p Peer(STP)
Fa0/9 Altn BLK 19 128.9 P2p Peer(STP)
Fa0/10 Altn BLK 19 128.10 P2p Peer(STP)

(Note I ordered these cables to actually play with STP and VTP and all switch-to-switch things)
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bermovick wrote: »
    This just happened and I thought I'd share it with everyone to give you a chuckle.

Just got the 4 crossover cables I'd ordered in. I didn't need 4, but that gives me a few extra if I need them later. Anyways I quickly power up switch #2 and plug all 4 in to ports 7-10 on both switches. I'd wanted to use 9-12 but the ends are a bit too big. Oh well, I may pull those coverings off.

I then spent the next several minutes trying to figure out WHY 3 OF THE PORTS WERE AMBER!!! Oh no; do I have bad ports? Did I do a shutdown on them? WHY DOES IT SAY UP/UP? GAAAAH

Then I stopped and looked at it for a second and tried to actually think rather than just do a panicked search. After about 5 seconds I had to 'duh!' at myself. icon_redface.gif

Fa0/7 Root FWD 19 128.7 P2p Peer(STP)
    Fa0/8 Altn BLK 19 128.8 P2p Peer(STP)
    Fa0/9 Altn BLK 19 128.9 P2p Peer(STP)
    Fa0/10 Altn BLK 19 128.10 P2p Peer(STP)

(Note I ordered these cables to actually play with STP and VTP and all switch-to-switch things)

See this is a good troubleshooting lab :)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    bermovick wrote: »

LOL!!! You ordered the cables to play with STP and that's what you got!!!!
  • SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    Be not troubled Bermovick, for I am with you.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Looks like it works ;)
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    You should setup the 4 interfaces under a Port Ag (port-channel), quadrupling your bandwidth. Lammle covered some Port Ag in his CCNA book but I don't think it is a heavy CCNA topic... yet icon_lol.gif

Something that through me for a loop (literally lol) was PVST.
    CCNP :study:
  • NeibyNeiby Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    fly351 wrote: »
    You should setup the 4 interfaces under a Port Ag (port-channel), quadrupling your bandwidth. Lammle covered some Port Ag in his CCNA book but I don't think it is a heavy CCNA topic... yet icon_lol.gif

Something that through me for a loop (literally lol) was PVST.

That's what I was going to suggest. This STP lab could be easily turned into an Etherchannel lab.