Options

Wi-Fi login issues

Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
Hello,

Recently at my job they implemented wireless throughout the entire campus with motorola. So after everything has been set up we have 2 networks... one for corporate and one for Guests. For guests to access the wifi a receptionist creates a login id and user with timeout etc etc... and they authenticate with the radius server here. when they go online they provide the credentials on the first web page they see and use the wifi... however theres been a lot of problem because it seems that after a certain time... when they go back to use the wifi they need to re-authenticate... now thats not a issue with a normal person but this is an elderly home and most of them don't know how to do that. So we need to have them log in and not have to re authenticate every few mins. Now ive been testing it and it always happens when the pc goes into stand by... when you leave the laptop on without going to standby or anything nothing will happen and it will stay connected. However if it goes into standby which is what im guessing is happening to many people... they just close the lid and when they open it back up they have to re authenticate on the browser. happens with iphones and ipads also. My question is do you think this might be an issue with the pc itself that for some reason when the pc goes to standby the server see's its idle for a while and terminates the session or something?

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My college campus did something like this. They had it set up with a 4 hour timeout, so after 4 hours you would get kicked off msn or an online game. If you were browsing the web you would get rerouted to the login page and could just log back in.

I would think that you are terminating the session on your servers. Because with my laptop, I could close it and then open it 10 minutes later and not have to log back in.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    I dont think its the server... the issue is I just tried these few things. I restarted a laptop I had connected and authenticated already to the server and it would keep the connection just fine. Now if I put the laptop to sleep mode within 2 mins and wake it up after that it will kick me off and ask me to re-authenticate.
  • Options
    fightclub34fightclub34 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    my guess would be some type of machine authentication is happening. When a machine closes a lid and comes back up from standby machine credentials are not sent. When you reboot or log off and log back into a machine the machine credentials are sent
  • Options
    Yea to me it seems like there is some service or something thats not happening. My question is how come when you reboot the machine resends the credentials and when you put it on standby it won't? I mean rebooting is essentially powering everything off and back on. So is there any settings on the NIC where I can tell it not to go to standby at all or any service..?