HP to spam printers

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
HP partners with Yahoo for targeted ads - Computerworld

My favourite part is:
"What we discovered is that people were not bothered by it," Nigro said. "Part of it I think our belief is you're used to it. You're used to seeing things with ads."

But who's going to pay for the ink and paper? This has backlash written all over it.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We're going to be paying the exhorbitant price HP charges for it's ink so that HP can force us to print ads on our own paper..don't like it at all.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think both of you are missing the point icon_confused.gif:

IMHO what they mean is: if you print this page of TE the advertisement "on the top or bottom of the page" may be changed based on the instructions by the web printing service.

So, The overall printed material will not change in size.

icon_confused.gif:
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    wd40 wrote: »

IMHO what they mean is: if you print this page of TE the advertisement "on the top or bottom of the page" may be changed based on the instructions by the web printing service.

icon_confused.gif:

What happens if you only print the selected text? That is how I normally print off webpages. Its quicker and just looks nicer. Otherwise I'll just start copy and pasting into word.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    What happens if you only print the selected text? That is how I normally print off webpages. Its quicker and just looks nicer. Otherwise I'll just start copy and pasting into word.
    The article talks about the latest web-connected printers like this one:
    HP Photosmart Premium TouchSmart Web All-in-One Printer | HP® Official Store

So "I think" normal printers / normal printing from a PC to a web connected printer will not be affected.
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    This comment was my favorite, "Two fast becoming irrelevant companies producing retarded ideas."
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    only time I use a printer is at work, I never use one otherwise
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.