Cheap Servers?

GuldanGuldan Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

I posted a thread about creating a virtual domain yesterday, appreciate the info. I might use my own computers but if I can buy a server for around $300 (pref cdn) i'll do it

Most important thing is around 4gb ram and in a tower format as I don't have a rack.. Anywhere that sells old servers aside from craigslist? Ive never used ebay personally..

Thanks

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You don't need a server to have a server. You can buy a cheap desktop and install a MSDN version of server on it to use in your tinkering. All the servers that we worked on in school were old windows xp workstations, and they got the job done. When the classroom got new workstations, they kept a couple and installed server2003 and 2008 on them.

Could we have ran an enterprise off of them, probably not. But to configure stuff, they were more than enough.

Or if you already have a decent machine, you can go the virtual route.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like Devilsbane said virtualization may be the best route to go for you.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are still a student you can go to Microsoft's Dreamspark website and after validation you can get Windows Server 2003, 2008 and I believe 2008 R2 as well as tons of other software. They're all fully licensed.

For virtualization, you can either buy VMware (my personal fav), use the trial of VMware, or use virtual box as well as other virtualization suites that are out there for free.
  • GuldanGuldan Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am working as a jr sysadmin for a company right now, whom has access to server 2008 and whatever microsoft products I need.

Just want to setup a PC that can virtualize 3-4 computers. I think i've made a decision. Gonna double my HTPC's ram to 4GB and use that as a platform to virtualize.

HTPC is using an Asus p5rd2-vm Mobo in a Lian-Li case, it's pretty slick. I wish I could get EXSi working so I can have a barebones virtualPC with Windows7 running (for HTPC use) and then 3-4 pc's ontop of that which I can turn on/off for educational purposes

Too bad it requires certain hardware, any suggestions on how to VM this? it has Windows 7 32bit installed currently
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    After you upgrade to 4GB RAM you should be set to use whatever Virtual platform you want (Virtualbox, virtualPC, VMWare) . You just install the servers as guests in whichever of those you're using. If you're using the MS Press Training Kit the book assumes you're using Virtual PC and even gives you instructions on what to set up and how.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I got an inspiron off dell outlet for 400$. 8Gb RAM, core i5, 1tb hdd.

Perfect for a few VM's to learn on.
    Vmware workstation 7 is awesome. Price is a little steep at $181, but this is something that will help you with every certification you take. (Well anyone that you need to lab in and would like access to a different os)

There is a student discount. I forget what it is, I spent like $131 (with tax) on my copy. Hell I have bought single text books that were that expensive, so no complaint here.

EDIT:

I just looked it up, I paid $113 with tax. Right number, wrong order. It was a 50% discount.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Guldan wrote: »
    Just want to setup a PC that can virtualize 3-4 computers. I think i've made a decision. Gonna double my HTPC's ram to 4GB and use that as a platform to virtualize.

HTPC is using an Asus p5rd2-vm Mobo in a Lian-Li case, it's pretty slick. I wish I could get EXSi working so I can have a barebones virtualPC with Windows7 running (for HTPC use) and then 3-4 pc's ontop of that which I can turn on/off for educational purposes

Too bad it requires certain hardware, any suggestions on how to VM this? it has Windows 7 32bit installed currently
    If you use ESX/ESXi then you won't be able to use it as a HTPC since it takes over the entire PC. Hyper-V is only in the server editions so if you're using Windows 7 Media Center then you won't have that either.

If you want to keep it as a HTPC then you're going to have to look into VM packages like VMware Workstation or VirtualBox which aren't bare metal hypervisors.

If you're using the 32 bit version of Windows then you won't be able to access more than around 3GB. Server editions will allow you to bypass this but you need drivers that are aware of PAE so you might as well go for 64bit Windows anyway.
    tiersten wrote: »
    If you're using the 32 bit version of Windows then you won't be able to access more than around 3GB. Server editions will allow you to bypass this but you need drivers that are aware of PAE so you might as well go for 64bit Windows anyway.

Its about 3.5GB, but it varies depending on hardware configuration. 64 bit is the way to go.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Its about 3.5GB, but it varies depending on hardware configuration.
    For your hardware yes. Thats why I said around 3GB. It mostly depends on your video cards since they're usually the devices with the large MMIO regions.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Guldan wrote: »
    I am working as a jr sysadmin for a company right now, whom has access to server 2008 and whatever microsoft products I need.

ultimatewhitebox.com

This will tell you what specs you need to run ESX/ESXi.
  • EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    I run VMware Workstation 7 on Ubuntu 64 bit and it runs like a dream and it is super easy to setup even if you don't have Linux experience and great with either 32 or 64 bit os hosts