Virtual Test Bed Help

GuldanGuldan Posts: 15Member ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok guys I revamped my HTPC into a Virtual Server (using VMserver) by adding some more RAM.

I am studying for my MCITP:EA (70-642 or 70-640 first)

Any Tips? Also I can't buy keys obviously, can't use my company keys right? so do I just have the trial period to use the servers?

How many should I installed? 1 DC, 1 GC/?? + 1 EXCH later on possibly?

I will be using the self-paced guide for 70-642, just want to set this up on a basic level first (get OS's installed+networked)

Thanks!

Comments

  • earweedearweed Posts: 5,192Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're using the MS Press training kit it pretty much guides you along. Every chapter has a before you begin section and Chapter 1 of the 70-640 book is pretty much just an instruction on setting up your first DC. Your first DC will have AD DS installed and be a DNS and GC server. Most of your labs you'll just start with the first DC and a meber server (no roles, just joined to the domain)
    Like I said before I don't believe you'll have an exch server. At least you wont have one while studying for the 640 or 642.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • GuldanGuldan Posts: 15Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    If you're using the MS Press training kit it pretty much guides you along. Every chapter has a before you begin section and Chapter 1 of the 70-640 book is pretty much just an instruction on setting up your first DC. Your first DC will have AD DS installed and be a DNS and GC server. Most of your labs you'll just start with the first DC and a meber server (no roles, just joined to the domain)
    Like I said before I don't believe you'll have an exch server. At least you wont have one while studying for the 640 or 642.

    So,

    BOX #1 - Server 2008 as DC/ADDS/GC
    BOX #2 - Server 2008 as member (no roles)

    Easy enough, I'll add EXCH later but I don't need it for these certs yet I guess.. I just want to have that option..

    Any other advice, on licensing maybe? trial only?
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Posts: 4,212Member
    90 day trial keys, msdnaa, and technet. I have also heard of another way for students to get licenses that someone mentioned on this forum but I forget what it was.

    I use MSDN keys for my studies because my school had a subscription. Could have used the trial keys but I didn't want to lose my work after 90 days.

    But if you think about it, 90 days is more than enough per cert. And you usually get a key with each book.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • GuldanGuldan Posts: 15Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    90 day trial keys, msdnaa, and technet. I have also heard of another way for students to get licenses that someone mentioned on this forum but I forget what it was.

    I use MSDN keys for my studies because my school had a subscription. Could have used the trial keys but I didn't want to lose my work after 90 days.

    But if you think about it, 90 days is more than enough per cert. And you usually get a key with each book.

    I need an unmolested activated DC at least somehow, My company has keys for everything and are paying for my certs, is it against MS policy to use theirs @ home even for work related stuff?
  • earweedearweed Posts: 5,192Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got mine through WGU (MSDN and Dreamspark) but haven't activated it as I've used so many different configurations and done so many different builds going through 640 and 642. You can restart the trial period (or period of not activating it) up to 3 times using a command I'll try to find it for you (it's in an old thread of mine)
    Don't forget when you get your basic 2 or more servers built to take an initial snapshot (Don't know if VMServer even does snapshots) so you can revert the server back to that state which you'll want at the beginning of every chapter.
    Most of the labs just have that configuration of the DC and the member server. A few required more.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • earweedearweed Posts: 5,192Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    I never activated mine, but they are legal.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • GuldanGuldan Posts: 15Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I never activated mine, but they are legal.

    So I can put in my company key but just not activate it? we have physical and virtual keys too.
  • earweedearweed Posts: 5,192Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    Here's the link on how to extend your period of not activating it. After 90 days you just get a nag screen if not activated. How to extend the Windows Server 2008 evaluation period
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • earweedearweed Posts: 5,192Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    Guldan wrote: »
    So I can put in my company key but just not activate it? we have physical and virtual keys too.
    I don't think you can actually use your company's key. I'm referring to if you have the OS from a trial version or from someplace else. I've never activated mine with the key, just "extended" the trial period.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • GuldanGuldan Posts: 15Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Here's the link on how to extend your period of not activating it. After 30 days you just get a nag screen if not activated. How to extend the Windows Server 2008 evaluation period

    Thanks man, I won't even bother activating it as anything I do won't last longer then 90 days.

    I emailed that link to myself for future use..

    I am assuming the kit wants Server Enterprise 2008 R2 Right?
  • earweedearweed Posts: 5,192Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    Server 2008, some may specify enterprise. I just used enterprise on all mine. Just make sure you know about the differences between the different versions and what features are only available on the enterprise version.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • GuldanGuldan Posts: 15Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Server 2008, some may specify enterprise. I just used enterprise on all mine. Just make sure you know about the differences between the different versions and what features are only available on the enterprise version.

    I had 0 server experience until I got my job (lucky me). I just worked 6 months straight with enterprise r2 and some Standard.. Have a good understanding first hand.

    What I need to do is learn how to BUILD a domain from scratch! Gonna play with all sorts of stuff!
  • earweedearweed Posts: 5,192Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    I had 0 server experience when I started this but since just doing the home labbing I've had the opportunity of setting up a small office. Nothing fancy Server 2k8 foundation and finding that all that labbing is paying off.
    Don't forget, these exams don't cover R2, just plain old Server 2008.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
Sign In or Register to comment.