Options

A+ then MCSA?

sentimetalsentimetal Member Posts: 103
I currently work in banking and not in IT, but I plan on eventually getting my MCSA/E. This fall, I'll be starting a Cisco Academy/CCNA course at a local college.

I've heard mixed things about obtain the A+ before the MCSA/E. For example, an enterprise support MCSE friend of mine says getting an A+ is useless, but a friend with a BS in Network Technology says that it looks good on a resume and will help me get my first IT job - what do you guys think? Should I start with the A+ and work my way up to the MCSE? Or could I start directly with Server 03 stuff?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think A+ is an excellent place to start. Also consider that you can pair it with the Net+ and use it as your elective for your MCSA/E. It is a little more expensive to do it this way, but you will also walk away with 3 certifications rather than 1.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    I agree with devilsbane. A+ and Net+ and maybe Security+ will give you a great foundation of knowledge (as well as looking good on a resume for an entry level job) before you head into a more specialized certification path such as microsoft or cisco.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    A+ is a good foundational exam to start, however it is not a must have. Most people go A+, Net+ and move up, however I know some IT peers who have skip A+ and went directly onto the MCSE path.

It depends on where your comfort level is
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    416_guy416_guy Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sentimetal wrote: »
    I currently work in banking and not in IT, but I plan on eventually getting my MCSA/E. This fall, I'll be starting a Cisco Academy/CCNA course at a local college.

I've heard mixed things about obtain the A+ before the MCSA/E. For example, an enterprise support MCSE friend of mine says getting an A+ is useless, but a friend with a BS in Network Technology says that it looks good on a resume and will help me get my first IT job - what do you guys think? Should I start with the A+ and work my way up to the MCSE? Or could I start directly with Server 03 stuff?

Thanks

If you currently have no experience with computers and want to step into the IT world I believe the A+ certification is a good place to start. It's also a good stepping stone towards the Server 03 stuff. Having basic computer knowledge wouldn't hurt starting off with Server 03.