Options

iSCSI shared storage in a Citrix Xenserver 5.5 Pool?

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
We had one server running Xenserver 5.5 with iSCSI storage to our Netapp. This has been working fine. So I finally got the ok to wipe another server to set up a pool. It integrated fine except I have a red exclamation point over my Netapp iSCSI SR. If I right click and hit repair I get a message that VM1 is connected and VM2 (the new one) is unplugged.

Should I have waited until the pool was fully populated to add the iSCSI storage and by that idea will have to export my current VM’s, disconnect and reattach my storage or is there a way to integrate this server into the pool so that it can utilize the iSCSI SR on both servers?

Comments

• Options
    StarkeStarke Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's always best to have all of your servers added first then add your shared storage. Obviously this isn't always possible. I had this issue on and off a few times and sometimes is a misconfiguration on the switch. If you click repair it does not plug for the second XenServer? Do you have multipathing enabled on host but not the other? You could always try shutting down the VMs, unplugging the SR, forgetting the SR and then readding it the pool this should resolve it. Here is the storage guide for reference.

Citrix Systems - Virtualization, Networking and Cloud. Simplified.
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    We had one server running Xenserver 5.5 with iSCSI storage to our Netapp. This has been working fine. So I finally got the ok to wipe another server to set up a pool. It integrated fine except I have a red exclamation point over my Netapp iSCSI SR. If I right click and hit repair I get a message that VM1 is connected and VM2 (the new one) is unplugged.

Should I have waited until the pool was fully populated to add the iSCSI storage and by that idea will have to export my current VM’s, disconnect and reattach my storage or is there a way to integrate this server into the pool so that it can utilize the iSCSI SR on both servers?
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - MCITP (SA, EA, EMA) - CCA (XD4, XD5, XS5, XS6) - VCP 4
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Starke wrote: »
    It's always best to have all of your servers added first then add your shared storage. Obviously this isn't always possible. I had this issue on and off a few times and sometimes is a misconfiguration on the switch. If you click repair it does not plug for the second XenServer? Do you have multipathing enabled on host but not the other? You could always try shutting down the VMs, unplugging the SR, forgetting the SR and then readding it the pool this should resolve it. Here is the storage guide for reference.

Citrix Systems - Virtualization, Networking and Cloud. Simplified.
    He posted this on the Citrix forums as well and got it resolved. He hadn't configured the NetApp to grant access to the new server.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    StarkeStarke Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I see, thanks.
    He posted this on the Citrix forums as well and got it resolved. He hadn't configured the NetApp to grant access to the new server.
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - MCITP (SA, EA, EMA) - CCA (XD4, XD5, XS5, XS6) - VCP 4
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    Ya, sorry about not swinging around and following up on this. Thank you for the response.