Options

Two questions....

dorawedorawe Member Posts: 106
Question #1: Does time in the military actually count for the CBK - Physical Security? Performing security watches, roving patrols, etc. It seems a bit far-fetched to me, but I was told by one CISSP that I could use it (even though I don't think I really need it).

Question #2: When do you pay your initial AMF? If you pass the exam, then essentially you are an Associate of (ISC)2 at that point, and that has an AMF. I'm still trying to coordinate my endorsement, but when exactly do need to pay up?

As always, thanks for all of the information.

Comments

• Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    not quite sure I can answer q1, but it does act as physical security. I guess it would depend on who was endorsing you plus other experience. I would run it past the ISC2 peeps to clarify.

q2 is a little easier, mine was due the 1st of the month following my certification for cissp. So I got my results mid jan, AMF due 1st Feb. I'm not sure where the associate fits in as I wasnt going for that, but guess it would be the same. Again if no one here can clarify check with the ISC2
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't answer question #2 and I'm not (ISC)2 so I can't give an official answer for question #1 but having been in the military I can say I have done a lot more then what you described. While in the military I have done a fair variety of guard/physical security checks:

Gate Guard - verifying badges and names on access rosters.
    Physical Security checks - verifying doors are locked and logging info on a DD 702 form.
    Safe/Arms Rooms checks - Same as Physical security but also verifying inventory and verifying alarm and there sensors are operational.
    Building Fire Marshall - Verify extinguishers are operational, smoke detectors work, no fire hazards in or around the building.
    Sensitive/Cyclic Inventories - More verification of sensitive items, and make sure proper accountability was performed.

That is most of it there. I am sure I am forgetting one or two things in the physical security area, but in my opinion that would count. If all you did are those two things I would say that might be a bit of a stretch but would be up to (ISC)2 to decide.
  • Options
    not quite sure I can answer q1, but it does act as physical security. I guess it would depend on who was endorsing you plus other experience. I would run it past the ISC2 peeps to clarify.

q2 is a little easier, mine was due the 1st of the month following my certification for cissp. So I got my results mid jan, AMF due 1st Feb. I'm not sure where the associate fits in as I wasnt going for that, but guess it would be the same. Again if no one here can clarify check with the ISC2
    Laidback,
    Were you sent an invoice of some kind?
  • Options
    wastedtime wrote: »
    I can't answer question #2 and I'm not (ISC)2 so I can't give an official answer for question #1 but having been in the military I can say I have done a lot more then what you described. While in the military I have done a fair variety of guard/physical security checks:

Gate Guard - verifying badges and names on access rosters.
    Physical Security checks - verifying doors are locked and logging info on a DD 702 form.
    Safe/Arms Rooms checks - Same as Physical security but also verifying inventory and verifying alarm and there sensors are operational.
    Building Fire Marshall - Verify extinguishers are operational, smoke detectors work, no fire hazards in or around the building.
    Sensitive/Cyclic Inventories - More verification of sensitive items, and make sure proper accountability was performed.

That is most of it there. I am sure I am forgetting one or two things in the physical security area, but in my opinion that would count. If all you did are those two things I would say that might be a bit of a stretch but would be up to (ISC)2 to decide.

Yeah, during my 9 years of military service, I certainly saw my share of gate guard, shore patrol, shipboard roving patrol, base patrol. I wasn't a "building Fire Marshall' but duties included mandatory periodic checks/documentation of safety and CCTV monitoring equipment, including fire bottles, any alarms (smoke, motion, etc). Oh, and I also was a member of the firefighting team (when in port). Not bad for an IT guy, so I guess when I look at it, I think it qualifies more than I initially thought.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    dorawe wrote: »
    Laidback,
    Were you sent an invoice of some kind?

The invoice is online in your members area. There's a pay AMF area that shows your outstanding fees.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    j_a_s_o_nj_a_s_o_n Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Based on my personal experience, yes, they would most likely count your physical security experience. You do need experience on at least two domains though, so that alone would not be enough to get you there.
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't need to make up any experience for the certification, I faxed in my endorsement paperwork yesterday, and didn't include Physical security as a qualification. It was more of a question to possibly assist those out there that may be a little 'thin' and are looking for experience that might qualify them.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    Having just paid my AMF for my SSCP, I can say that you will get an email invoice stating that your AMF is due at the end of the month that you were officially certified (which is not necessarily the month that you passed your exam). You pay your AMF annually and through your member account at www.isc2.org.

And because of the recent economic downturn, the (ISC)2 is being very good about allowing unemployed members to defer their AMF payment(s) until they are re-employed. If you are seeking employment, be sure to post your resume on isc2.org.
  • Options
    apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For the low low price of $550 you can sit the grueling 6 hour/250 Question ISC CISSP certification exam

But wait! There is more! You also can then submit a work history and an endorsement from an already certified colleague and a lucky few will also get to experience an audit ...

But wait! There is still more! If you complete sections 1, 2 and (possibly) 3, you get to call yourself a CISSP (after you pay your Annual Maintenance Fee)...

I feel like its something straight out of a bad infomercial.

The first year should be, in my opinion at least, covered by the exam fee.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    From the ISC2 web site:

AMFs are billed for the previous certification year. Therefore, AMFs are due at the end of the 12-month period. For example, if your certification date is February 4, 2008, you will be billed your AMFs on February 4, 2009.

You guys are getting billed a month after? I just checked and while I have the option to pay them now (up to 3 years in advance), it's not actually due until 3/31/2011.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    j_a_s_o_n wrote: »
    Based on my personal experience, yes, they would most likely count your physical security experience. You do need experience on at least two domains though, so that alone would not be enough to get you there.

Thanks for this. Its something I've often wondered but could never find anything beyond maybe.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Thanks for this. Its something I've often wondered but could never find anything beyond maybe.

That was my point for starting this thread, I knew that there had to be questions about this. Don't be afraid to ask the forum, most responses are very helpful, and you just might get a laugh from others.......icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    I would like to point out that the only official decision on what experience acceptable can come from the (ISC)2 itself. Anything that you read here is just personal opinion and not an official judgement of (ISC)2 policy.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dorawe wrote: »
    That was my point for starting this thread, I knew that there had to be questions about this. Don't be afraid to ask the forum, most responses are very helpful, and you just might get a laugh from others.......icon_lol.gif

Trust me, I'm not afraid to ask a question. icon_mrgreen.gif

But right now, the CISSP is still a way down the road, and if they do accept military experience, that's only one domain that I have covered.