Options

Outbound mail not working

tribe_menxtribe_menx Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi People

Am not much of a exchange person well this is my first exchange set-up , everything seems to be working fine OWA incoming mails working fine except cant seem to send mails to the outside world wen I check on the queue I see the mails are stuck there

When i run the troubleshoot assiatnt i get this error when its checking for remote delivery queue

Cannot find Host or MX records for domain gmail , yahoo .. etc

My set up is simple

One DNS server 2008 , exchange 2010 , got a public IP (did the port forwarding on the firewall as well and checked at testexchange.com )checked the nslookup and everything seems fine

my domain is set up internally i got domain.local while outside is domain.com.na
or yes dont have a edge transport server yet or any anti-spam software

Can someone please guide me wat am doing wrong

Thanks
V
B.Science Information Systems

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How is your send connector configured? What roles are installed on this server? CAS, MB, and HT?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    All those roles are set up on a single server running server 2008, The send connector is configured for internet smtp* I use DNS MX Am not using any smarthost .. thats about it is a very simple set up ...

NB my mail server is behind proxie and only two ports are open on the fire thats smtp 25 and 443 for https
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    This is likely a problem with DNS. Perform some nslookup's for yahoo, gmail, or hotmail;s mail domain from the command line on the Exchange server.

Check your event logs for DNS related errors and notifications.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    Yes i just checked it seems my DNS cannot resolve outside domains like yahoo, google them
  • Options
    How about forwarders or root hints? What are you using?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Forwarders I'm using my firewall pfsense ( its both my firewall and my proxy server ) Ip address as a forwarder ,on the firewall only 2 ports open there 25 and 443 .. I did not set up any root hints
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you manually set the network adapter of one of the computers to use the pfsense for DNS, does it work?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Will try that , I got some mails going through now mostly namibian domains mails are going through but others like the yahoo gmail hotmail mails are still stuck in the queue the error am getting now cannot resolve MX records of those domains but the A records are getting resolve , and for some reason port 25 of those domains cannot be found (made some telnet test ) and yes did some rbl test an my domain is not blacklisted, am doin something wrong an cant quite figure it out yet
  • Options
    how about reverse dns?
  • Options
    Did reverse dns are correct including PTR records ( did call my ISp who supplied me with the public IP ) only thing not set up is SPF, not sure if u need spf records to mail to some top domains .... am gettin mails out to some domains but not all send connector is added correctly .... see is my first exchange gig i new it will give me a headache