Gns3

outrunredoutrunred Banned Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all

So, I downloaded GNS3....looks like a powerful tool....haven't had time to really play with it yet

I got some IOs's which aren't as easy to come by as you'd think...but anyway, got them..

Is it normal for this application to really knock the cr@ p out of your machine....?

And...has anyone got any pactice labs that cover the ICND2 stuff? different scenarios?

cheers

Comments

• outrunredoutrunred Banned Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    oh and when I start up the 1700 series router on this and connect on console I just get a 'connected to Dynamips VM....etc etc.

no prompt or anything...?

I'm new to GNS3....sorry
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Start here, it walks you through everything with GNS3.

Free CCNA Workbook
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    You have to set the "Idle PC" on the routers by right clicking on them. I had to set it on 2 different routers before my processor stopped being utterly destroyed.
    CCNP :study:
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    usually you just want to click the idle pc on all routing devices and select the values with the * next to them.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I am not expert on GNS3, but if you have a multi-core CPU I would say install a VMware player, it is free from their website, and install a Linux OS. I use Ubuntu 10.04 64bit.
    I can run GNS3 in VM without any problem; and about the resources, it won't devour your PC resources. Actually, you can multi-task in VM while GNS3 is running.
    I chose VM, so that I can switch back to Windows just by hovering my mouse outside the VM window.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    usually you just want to click the idle pc on all routing devices and select the values with the * next to them.

I forgot to specify this. One of the labs (1-7 I believe) in the link I gave specifically walks you through this.
    thanks everyone - I checked that link out, it looks to have EVERYTHING I need.... I was going in blindly before....

so....should have some time this weekend for some lab practice....scheduling ICND2 for beginning of July so better get some practice in....
    just wanna say - got it running.... and it's not killing my machine either!!!!

thanks guys....
  • rushdownrushdown Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Start here, it walks you through everything with GNS3.

Free CCNA Workbook

AWESOME link. Thanks!
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chrisone wrote: »

My advice is to add a single router to the topology, wait for it to boot and then open up the consol and click no o the auto set up messages.

Give it a few min to setle down (like a pc they can still be booting and setleing down even after you have a session to them)

then do as suggested and set the idle PC value, you may want to try a few till you get the best result.

then if you go in to the hypervisor setting and make sure the idle PC value has copied across to here.

remover this router and repete with the next model you want to use.

Once you have finished you should have and idle PC value for each router when you look at them in the hypervisor settings. These values will then be applied any time you drag a router in to a project.

I found by doing the Router on its own, with nothing attached after giving it a few min to settle I can find the best Idel values. And once you ahve done it once you dont have to repete it for ever router you have in the project.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.