Options

It begins.

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The cert guide isn't going to give you to terribly much detail, as the Written isn't going to that great depth. Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 is another (and, IMHO, the better) solution for reference material

That is the best source in my opinion.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    I like this thread because the OP is always hungover while doing labs...I can relateicon_thumright.gif

Haha. I like to keep an active social life... Plus beer is delicious.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Two reasons the CCIE is not for you:
    rakem wrote: »
    Only three hours today. Not really feeling into it.
    Haha. I like to keep an active social life...

And third, you started this thread in 2010? You're going on two YEARS now?

Go hard for six months, take the lab, fail it, re-schedule it after the 30 day waiting period, and pass it.

Get focused or give it up. Blunt advice but you're clearly in need of it.
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CChN wrote: »

Go hard for six months, take the lab, fail it, re-schedule it after the 30 day waiting period, and pass it.

Burning the candle at both ends is for wimps. You've gotta throw that sucker into a bonfire if you want it to burn. There's no other possible way!
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    CChN wrote: »

Wow dude thanks.

Yep started study for the written exam in 2010.
    However in that time (if you had read this thread) the following has happened to me:

1) I got married
    2) Passed 3 Juniper Certs
    3) Passed 2 F5 Certs
    4) Purchased my first home
    5) Changed jobs
    6) Passed CCIE written.

So a big 'get your facts right before you comment' to you buddy.

I'm 100% dedicated to getting my CCIE - I passed the written November last year and plan to sit the lab before the 18 month limit expires. Sure some days i don't feel like study, show me one person on here who doesn't have those days.

Any yes i like to have a nice social life. Doesn't mean i can't pass the lab.

So without being to rude.... STFU
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    6 or so hours over the weekend, working through the OSPF sections of workbook 1.
    Some challenging stuff, plan to spend the next week at least on OSPF.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    6 hours over the weekend is a great accomplishment. If you follow the INE plan, thats half the suggested hours for the week (3 x 4hr sessions). Let us know how the studying goes
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    6 hours over the weekend is a great accomplishment. If you follow the INE plan, thats half the suggested hours for the week (3 x 4hr sessions). Let us know how the studying goes

Thanks mate.... It's actually the least I have done in a weekend over the past few months. I usually schedule 2 x 5 hour labs over the weekend, one on Saturday and on one Sunday, however this weekend I had some family commitments which got in the way so couldn't use all my lab time.

Anyway, thanks for the comment, any time spent studying will be worth it in the end!
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Getting deep into OSPF the last few days... watching the INE videos, reading and labbing.

I managed to replicate the INE environment pretty closely in dynamips, So i now have a nice dynamips lab to play with during the week and the INE labs on the weekend.

One new thing I learned was about the '[no] capability transit' command. Allows a router to not use area 0 if to reach an inter-area route if it has a better cost route using an intra-area...... Cool feature.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Wow dude thanks.

Yep started study for the written exam in 2010.
    However in that time (if you had read this thread) the following has happened to me:

1) I got married
    2) Passed 3 Juniper Certs
    3) Passed 2 F5 Certs
    4) Purchased my first home
    5) Changed jobs
    6) Passed CCIE written.

So a big 'get your facts right before you comment' to you buddy.

I'm 100% dedicated to getting my CCIE - I passed the written November last year and plan to sit the lab before the 18 month limit expires. Sure some days i don't feel like study, show me one person on here who doesn't have those days.

Any yes i like to have a nice social life. Doesn't mean i can't pass the lab.

So without being to rude.... STFU

Ya its called life and it happens regardless of your plan...keep on doing your thing rakem, haters gonna hateicon_thumright.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    b321618b321618 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    haters gonna hate

Lol. It's the truth.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Another blog of mine has been posted on my works site.... It has to do with VLANs in the cloud.

Would appreciate it if you took the time to read, then click the various social media buttons at the bottom to share with the world!

Cheers guys, link below..

Structuring your cloud with VLANs | blog | Ninefold cloud computing
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Haha, did someone seriously just tell someone else the CCIE is not for them because they want a social life? dude.............rakem will be a CCIE......while this guy ChN or whatever, will be having a light saber fight in his mom's living room (and losing)

Keep up the good work rakem. I know how life gets in the way, but you'll do it no doubt. All I ask is that someday you host a TE function over there in Sydney, and buy the first round!
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Haha, did someone seriously just tell someone else the CCIE is not for them because they want a social life? dude.............rakem will be a CCIE......while this guy ChN or whatever, will be having a light saber fight in his mom's living room (and losing)

Keep up the good work rakem. I know how life gets in the way, but you'll do it no doubt. All I ask is that someday you host a TE function over there in Sydney, and buy the first round!

Haha well said sir.

Once I pass the lab drinks are on me for sure!!
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    not much study this weekend. Had my brothers bucks party yesterday so not feeling like studying today at all as a result.
    Going to have a big study week this week to make up for it
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    not a good week for study. work is crazy.

Two labs scheduled for the weekend though, looking forward to them. Need to put OSPF to bed.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Man i know you feeling of hell work weeks. I actually got myself some beef and drank one last night to relax. ><
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Good lab today, almost through the OSPF section. There is some pretty deep stuff in there, very interesting.
    Should be able to finish the OSPF section in tomorrow's lab. Will probably spend another week reviewing OSPF since it a core topic.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Another 4+ hours of lab today... finished OSPF section of workbook 1. Will review some of the more tricky bits during the week before moving onto workbook 3
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    no study this weekend.... my older brother is getting married
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Been a bit out of sorts lately. No study at all for 2 weeks.
    I'm going on a 3 1/2 week holiday to the USA in two weeks time which will be a much needed break.
    Probably just review some bits and pieces from INE workbook 1 and 2 before i go, then hit up BGP (workbook 3) once i'm back, recharged and ready.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Well i'm back... Its been about 2 months. But i have been busy. Moved house and went a holiday for a month.
    Picking up where i left off.... BGP.
    5 hours INE lab today, another one tomorrow.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep at it Rakem. Your lab goal of December is going to be here before you know it!
  • Options
    Cheers mate. Still hoping to try the lab this year.
    I have until June 2013 until the ccie written expires, so I have a bit of extra time in case I need it.

Another 4 hours today on BGP
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    2.5 hour session on INE labs.
    Working through the BGP section of workbook1.

Topics tonight were mainly around route manipulation:
    As-path-ignore - hidden command, will not use as-path in the decision making process.
    DMZlinkbw - unequal cost load balancing, needs to be configured with extended communities as the bandwidth for the neighbor configured with dmzlink-be is sent in a special community to other neighbors.
    max-as-limit - limits the amout of AS in the AS-path attribute
    Backdoor routes - configure the router to prefer an IGP route over en eBGP route.

Some good labs going on with route-maps and stuff so its been enjoyable!
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    2.5 hour session on INE labs.
    Working through the BGP section of workbook1.

Topics tonight were mainly around route manipulation:
    As-path-ignore - hidden command, will not use as-path in the decision making process.
    DMZlinkbw - unequal cost load balancing, needs to be configured with extended communities as the bandwidth for the neighbor configured with dmzlink-be is sent in a special community to other neighbors.
    max-as-limit - limits the amout of AS in the AS-path attribute
    Backdoor routes - configure the router to prefer an IGP route over en eBGP route.

Some good labs going on with route-maps and stuff so its been enjoyable!

Good work. I too am married and know how difficult it is to find time to study between work and family commitments. Good luck with the lab exam in December....
  • Options
    Good to see you back! How were those F5 and Juniper certs? My current employer utilizes Juniper and F5 products so I was thinking about chasing Juniper after the CCIE.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Compared to Cisco the juniper and f5 Cerys were much easier. Their questions are much more focused on the specific technologies and not as general as the Cisco ones can be. They also don't try to trick you up with the question wording like Cisco does.

I need to re-certify my Juniper Certs at the end of the year, will probably go for the professional track so that might be a bit of a challenge!
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Oh,okay. Thanks for the overview. Good luck with the professional track.