• Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    An hour tonight - OSPFv3 labs.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're moving right along.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Going away on a mini holiday with my wife. 4 days away. Should be nice bu no study for the next few days icon_sad.gif

Back Monday next week.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Back from Holidays yesterday. Was very nice... Back into study asap.

I'm thinking that my December target for the lab is a little ambitious... I have until June 2013 to sit it (written expires) so might take the few extra months.

I'm thinking QoS will need a least a full month of study to come up to the required level and that will delay things.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    rakem wrote: »
    I'm thinking QoS will need a least a full month of study to come up to the required level and that will delay things.

That is an accurate thought. It is going to take me a little over a month to get through it, but my QoS was really weak. Obviously, you might wrap it up sooner depending on your competency.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Sick....
    can't concentrate.
    Boooooooo
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    That sucks man! Get plenty of rest and liquids! You can always just listen to the INE audios :)
  • Options
    Sick....
    can't concentrate.
    Boooooooo

Get some meds and stay hydrated. I'm in the same boat.
  • Options
    Back into it today.
    4+ hours on Ipv6... playing with NAT and multicast.
    Probably spend the rest of the month on IPv6 and make November QoS month.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Back into it today.
    4+ hours on Ipv6... playing with NAT and multicast.
    Probably spend the rest of the month on IPv6 and make November QoS month.

Sounds like a great plan! When you work on QoS remember a few things:

The default behavior after configuring 'mls qos' on a catalyst switch is to NOT trust the markings. Practice the following: extend trust boundaries, use MQC to trust COS/DCSP from Router to switch, use mls qos mapping to remap DSCP values.

Spend time on the difference between shaping/policing. Do a ping sweep with varying MTU sizes to verify! An example, how do these differ:

Config 1: shape cir 32000 8000 8000
    Config 2: police cir 32000 bc 8000 be 8000

ping the ip with a mtu size of 1000... why was the packet dropped on config 2?

Keep us up to date! You're doing awesome
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    Around 3 hours tonight on IPv6 multicast - working with BSR, embedded RP and static RP.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    You're really moving along! I had to reschedule my lab for March as well. Good luck!
  • Options
    Working more on Embedded RP.

Embedded RP address will always start with FF70::/12
    First 8 bits 1111 1111 are for multicast
    next 4 (binary 0111) decimal 7) bits are for flags.
    0 = reserved
    1 = RP address embedded
    1 = prefix info is embedded
    1 = non permanent address

last 4 bits are scope
    0 = reserved in this case

One thing I'm confused about is the prefix info, not to sure what prefix that is referring too.... anyone know?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    4 hours today - reviewing IPv6 and did some tunnel labs
    My copy of Ipv6 fundamentals came yesterday so spent a bit of time flicking through it. Seems like a nice book.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    5 hours today. Worked on 6to4 tunnels, ipv6 routing and multicast.
    Pretty happy with my Ipv6 knowledge now - i wanted to spend a fair bit of time on it since its going to be a very valuable skill to have very soon.
    Also gotta start deploying it on my Juniper gear at work.

Pretty good weekend of studying - almost 10 hours.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Winding up IVP6 with some more ISATAP and 6to4 configs.
    The INE task for ISATAP (9.31 workbook 1) is rubbish... doesn't explain much and it feels rushed.
    One more day of IPv6 then onto QoS for all of November.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    started on QoS, just watched some of the INE videos to get me going. I got the Cisco QoS certification book the other day and I also have Cisco end-to-end QoS.

Plan to be on this topic for the next month
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    started on QoS, just watched some of the INE videos to get me going. I got the Cisco QoS certification book the other day and I also have Cisco end-to-end QoS.

Plan to be on this topic for the next month

Let us know what you think of the Cisco end-to-end QoS. You're doing well!
  • Options
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    Let us know what you think of the Cisco end-to-end QoS. You're doing well!

I've had that book for a while now - has some really good stuff around campus QoS designs and configurations - especially on 3550 and 3560 switches. Other parts of it are a bit light on info. Its an OK book, the Cisco QoS cert guide book looks much more detailed.

Started with the INE QoS section.... some much 'legacy' configuration, not sure how important it is to know about all this legacy stuff. Seriously, who uses custom queuing any more?
    But anyway, I'll work through it.

Just the first few labs have really shown me some big gaps in my QoS knowledge. Lots of reading in the next few weeks for me.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Hmm wondering how much time I should spend on this legacy junk. The CCIE lab blue print doesn't mention anything about legacy QoS. In fact it says "Implement Modular QoS CLI" custom queuing an priority queuing don't fall into that so i'm thinking its not on the exam at all.

Anyway, spent about 4 1/2 hours reading/labing today
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    The Brians say its safe to skip the legacy QoS topics, but it does help with learning the fundamentals.
  • Options
    Yea it does, but at this point when i already have a decent understanding i see no point in wasting time with legacy stuff.

Anyway, been a slow week study wise, busy at work implementing a VPLS topology on some new Juniper MX routers. Pretty cool stuff.

Also had a few Birthdays in the family so there have been some dinners on nights i would usually study. Hope to get in two good 5 hour labs this weekend.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    About an hour and a half tonight working through INE QOS MQC sections.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Just an hour tonight on QoS.
    I really don't enjoy QoS at all. Makes it hard to study.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Maybe an 1 hour and 1/2 over the past few days.
    Work has been busy.... But I got my nice VPLS network working on my Juniper gear so that's good icon_smile.gif
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Not the best week for study hours, but I have 9 hours of labs scheduled over the weekend to help catch up.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    Right on! There is no such thing as a bad study session.. even when you think it's pointless and you didn't learn anything.. you're still getting better.. same as if you only get 9 hours instead of your usual amount.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    Solid 5+ hours so far today.
    Mainly working on Catalyst QOS. Working through the INE labs as usual.

Will take a break for a few hours before another 2 1/2 lab this afternoon at 4pm.
    I hope to finish the QoS sections this weekend so i can move on.

QoS is probably my weakest area... hoping its not to heavily tested in the lab.

I'm thinking the lab will probably just have some fairly standard MQC based stuff with some cos-dscp mapping, trusting and re-writing on the switches. I reckon they put most of the QoS stuff in the VoIP exam.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    QoS is probably my weakest area... hoping its not to heavily tested in the lab.
    Whatever you're weakest in is what you'll be heavily tested on. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Whatever you're weakest in is what you'll be heavily tested on. :)

haha perhaps. But pretty sure QoS isn't going to be as heavily tested as things link BGP and OSPF...

Another 1 1/2 this afternoon. Pretty fried at the moment, going to drink some beers now.

More labs tomorrow
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net