Options

It begins.

Comments

• Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    jamesp1983 wrote: »

Thanks I'll have a read of that.

Three hours of labbing tonight. I know I have 5, but it's 1am and I'm to tired to do anything else.... Bad thing about being in Australia is the rack times don't match up too well for labs during the working week. Weekends will be OK.

This was my first use of INE stuff. The diagrams seem hard to follow. There is no VLAN assignment for access ports, or even a diagram showing the access ports. For example - the very first thing in Lab workbook 1 (task 1.1) is to configure access VLAN assignments based on a diagram. Well the diagram didn't come with the hard copies, and the one in the PDF doesn't show access ports and the VLANs they belong too.

Not sure if i'm missing something or not but I'm just finding it difficult to match what in the text books with the diagrams.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rakem wrote: »
    Thanks I'll have a read of that.

Three hours of labbing tonight. I know I have 5, but it's 1am and I'm to tired to do anything else.... Bad thing about being in Australia is the rack times don't match up too well for labs during the working week. Weekends will be OK.

This was my first use of INE stuff. The diagrams seem hard to follow. There is no VLAN assignment for access ports, or even a diagram showing the access ports. For example - the very first thing in Lab workbook 1 (task 1.1) is to configure access VLAN assignments based on a diagram. Well the diagram didn't come with the hard copies, and the one in the PDF doesn't show access ports and the VLANs they belong too.

Not sure if i'm missing something or not but I'm just finding it difficult to match what in the text books with the diagrams.

The diagrams are a little confusing at first. After awhile you start to memorize what's where. Here's what I do:

1. Look at the Logical L3 diagram. (WB I, page 11 I believe)
    2. Pay attention to your router interfaces.
    3. Record what VLAN the router interfaces should be in. (i.e.; R1 Fa0/0 in vlan 146)
    4. Use show cdp neighbors to find out where devices are that you're not sure of.
    5. Configure VLAN memberships accordingly. (don't forget transit)

Also, check out routing_switching_rack_rental_hardware_specifications_v1.2.pdf for further clarity of where interfaces are connected.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Another INE lab this morning, hopefully will finish bridging and switching section in volume 1.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Well i stuffed up the time zones so my INE lab is actually tomorrow morning. Not ideal since I will be at work.

Anyway I still did a bunch of labs using my home gear. Went through the INE book, had to modify a few bits since I only had three switches working. But still a valuable 4+ hours of labing.

Will try to sneak some labs in tomorrow while at work. hehe.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Was able to use the INE lab while at work for about three hours today.
    Mucked around with MST for most of it...

Next labs scheduled for Saturday and Sunday morning... Will do some reading between then and probably make use of my home lab as well.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Hour of labing in the home lab and an hour of reading on the train and at home.

Still working through the bridging and switching section of the INE volume 1 book.
    Been also mucking around with some MST stuff since that's something i have never used previously.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    So it occurs to me I know very little about frame relay. Never seen it outside of a book really. CCNP doesn't cover it at all. CCNA had some basic stuff but that was years ago for me.... The CCIE book is very light as well.

What are some good materials for frame relay.... i really hope they remove it from the exam one day, seriously who uses it any more?

I have some CBT nugget videos and some INE videos also... hopefully they give me a good base.

Got two INE labs scheduled for the weekend, one each day. Looking forward to it.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    So it occurs to me I know very little about frame relay. Never seen it outside of a book really. CCNP doesn't cover it at all. CCNA had some basic stuff but that was years ago for me.... The CCIE book is very light as well.

What are some good materials for frame relay.... i really hope they remove it from the exam one day, seriously who uses it any more?

I have some CBT nugget videos and some INE videos also... hopefully they give me a good base.

Got two INE labs scheduled for the weekend, one each day. Looking forward to it.

CISCO Certification: Bridges, Routers & Switches for Ccies
    Amazon.com: CISCO Certification: Bridges, Routers & Switches for Ccies (9780130825377): Andrew Bruce Caslow: Books

This book has some good info. Can't knock the Cisco docs either.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    4+ hours of INE labs today. Just about finished the switch and bridging section in volume 1
    Nothing to difficult. The Flex Links was new to me though, never heard of that.
    Just need to to the private VLANs and PPP sections and i'm done.
    Will finish that in tomorrows lab and get started on the frame relay section.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Too much drinky last night means my labs today are going sloooooow.

Finished bridging and switching section of INE. I struggled with all the PPP stuff, been a long time since I have used it, so that is one area I need to review. I can work on that with my home labs during the week.

Jumping into the frame relay section now - another area i'm not strong at but hopefully i can turn that around!
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    two hours of home labs tonight.... all PPP related stuff.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    keep it going strong!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    INE labs today and tomorrow.
    Hopefully should get a good 10+ hours of labing done over the weekend

I'd like to finish of INE lab workbook volume 1 this weekend if possible.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Good 5+ hours of INE labs this morning.

Finished frame-relay section, although I need to review some of the last topics like PPP over frame and the frame relay switching.
    Got a good chunk of the IP routing section done as well. Finished task 3.7 - policy routing

Pretty happy with the lab this morning, next one scheduled for tomorrow so i should be able to finish off the first workbook. Think i will struggle with the OER stuff, never seen it before so I'll need to review that as well.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Only three hours today. Not really feeling into it.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    So when i purchased the INE workbooks I mistakenly purchased the Dynamips version of Workbook 2.
    I want the proper version so I can use it on the INE labs instead of mucking round with Dynamips. I'm going to buy the real versions from INE but would like to sell my hard copies first.

So I'm selling my hard copies of INE Lab workbook 2 Dynamips version. They are brand new, perfect condition.
    They got for $299 USD on the INE site.
    I'll sell them for $200 (AUD - including postage)

PM me if you want them. If your in Australia i wont charge for postage. Anywhere else I will ask for something towards postage depending on where you are.

I'll be sticking them on eBay in the next few days but thought i would give anyone on here the opportunity to get them if you are keen.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I want to wish you best on the R&S labbing; let us know how it comes out.
  • Options
    thanks...

Just been reading and watching INE vids this week with a bit of Dynamips thrown in.
    going away for the weekend with the wife so no labs. 3 labs scheduled for next weekend to make up for it.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Playing around with OER at the moment, pretty cool stuff. it seems there is heaps that can be done with it. Not sure how heavilly tested it will be in the lab but it looks like a nice technology.

On another note - He is an insight into my day to day life at work - have a read of the blog i wrote about how to setup a VPN into our cloud. Post some comments and re-tweet for me if you would be so kind.

(we win a prize at work for the most views of our blogs so this is shameless self promotion hehe icon_smile.gif )

Set up an IPSec VPN in the Cloud | Blog | Ninefold cloud computing Australia
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    +1 view from me. Excellent blog post.
  • Options
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    +1 view from me. Excellent blog post.

Thanks for that.

5 hours today - finished the entire RIP section in WB1.
    Most of it I found easy, although there was some stuff which I needed to think about and check my answers.

Enjoyed it though. Looking forward to the EIGRP and OSPF sections over the next few days. Two more labs scheduled tomorrow and Monday (long weekend in Australia icon_smile.gif )

Also - if anyone wants my Dynamips version of workbook2, they are on ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330714074477?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649
    I'm getting the non Dynamips version and have no use for these.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I checked out the blog too. Looks great. Good work.

I know what you mean about drinking having an effect on studies. I've got to limit myself to one per study session because any more then that and my productivity quickly drops!
  • Options
    Yes... very hungover today.... only managed 2 hours of labs before i had to rest. Bit of a waste, but last night was fun so its ok icon_smile.gif
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    ipSpaceipSpace Member Posts: 147
    Hope you make it to your Lab Target ! December 2012 is not that far away :D

Btw, what is your blog URL ?

Thanks.

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • Options
  • Options
    5 hours of EIGRP labbing today. Found it a bit challenging.... I know what I need to do in most cases, but translating that to the command line is sometimes difficult.

I also found what I think might be a slight bug... Check this out:

If i do a 'show ip eigrp top all' command:
    notice how the FD doesn't match up with the current successor route.
    [code]
    P 150.7.3.0/24, 1 successors, FD is 1030560, serno 1881
    via 155.7.67.6 (2690816/130816), Vlan67
    via 155.7.37.3 (100130559/100127999), FastEthernet0/3
    [code]

but if i clear the neighbour relationships and run the command again, it is correct:

[code]
    clear ip eigrp nei
    *Mar 1 03:49:12.442: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4icon_sad.gif100) 100: Neighbor 155.7.79.9 (Vlan79) is down: manually cleared
    *Mar 1 03:49:12.442: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4icon_sad.gif100) 100: Neighbor 155.7.67.6 (Vlan67) is down: manually cleared
    *Mar 1 03:49:12.442: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4icon_sad.gif100) 100: Neighbor 155.7.37.3 (FastEthernet0/3) is down: manually cleared

sh ip eigrp top all

P 150.7.3.0/24, 1 successors, FD is 2690816, serno 1890
    via 155.7.67.6 (2690816/130816), Vlan67
    [code]

Is that a bug or am i missing something?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    5 hours of EIGRP labing today. Found it a bit challenging.... I know what I need to do in most cases, but translating that to the command line is sometimes difficult.

I also found what I think might be a slight bug... Check this out:

If i do a 'show ip eigrp top all' command:
    notice how the FD doesn't match up with the current successor route.
    P 150.7.3.0/24, 1 successors, FD is [b]1030560[/b], serno 1881
    via 155.7.67.6 ([b]2690816[/b]/130816), Vlan67

but if i clear the neighbour relationships and run the command again, it is correct:
    clear ip eigrp nei
    *Mar 1 03:49:12.442: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4100) 100: Neighbor 155.7.79.9 (Vlan79) is down: manually cleared
    *Mar 1 03:49:12.442: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4100) 100: Neighbor 155.7.67.6 (Vlan67) is down: manually cleared
    *Mar 1 03:49:12.442: %DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: EIGRP-IPv4100) 100: Neighbor 155.7.37.3 (FastEthernet0/3) is down: manually cleared

sh ip eigrp top all

P 150.7.3.0/24, 1 successors, FD is [b]2690816[/b], serno 1890
    via 155.7.67.6 ([b]2690816[/b]/130816), Vlan67

Is that a bug or am i missing something?
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    1 hour of reading
    1 hour of labbing

All EIGRP related stuff. Finished off the EIGRP section in INE worbook 1. Will spend the week going over a few areas of it before moving onto OSPF labs this weekend

I find myself using my old BSCI and BCMSN books a fair bit recently, they really go into much more detail then then CCIE cert book does.
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

I find myself using my old BSCI and BCMSN books a fair bit recently, they really go into much more detail then then CCIE cert book does.

The cert guide isn't going to give you to terribly much detail, as the Written isn't going to that great depth. Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 is another (and, IMHO, the better) solution for reference material
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I like this thread because the OP is always hungover while doing labs...I can relateicon_thumright.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures