Review: TrainSignal's Sec+

PlantwizPlantwiz Alligator wrestlerMod Posts: 5,057 Mod
I'm slowly working through reviewing this series of CBT and while I am not going in any paricular order, I've overall enjoyed the way the lessons are packaged.

From time-to-time, I do find that the video pauses for a long-time on one screen while the instructor continues to discuss. So, while I listen to the instructor, I find myself searching on the web or reading e-mail rather then looking at a screen image that has not changed.

I did find the "Logging and Auditing" lesson to be rather informative. There were some extended screen shots as mentioned above, but overall, there were helpful examples shown for how to setup some auditing criteria.

This particular video lesson was over 40 minutes, but it was good.

I'll probably look at "Network Design Components" next.

Back to work ;)
Plantwiz
_____
"Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?

Comments

  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    From time-to-time, I do find that the video pauses for a long-time on one screen while the instructor continues to discuss. So, while I listen to the instructor, I find myself searching on the web or reading e-mail rather then looking at a screen image that has not changed.

    CBT Nuggets does this from time to time as well.

    Overall how to you rate trainsignal? I've never used them before but was thinking on giving them a try for security+. Do you recommend?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • TrainSignalEricTrainSignalEric Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm forwarding it on to our product team right now.
  • rushdownrushdown Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    CBT Nuggets does this from time to time as well.

    Overall how to you rate trainsignal? I've never used them before but was thinking on giving them a try for security+. Do you recommend?


    I've watched Train Signal's Network+ CBT and thorougly enjoyed it. I passed the Net+ exam with that and Exam Cram's book. I love Train Signal's menu system for easy navigation when I look through the videos again for review purposes. Also, Ed Liberman is a good teacher because he keeps you awake.

    For Sec+, I'm using Career Academy's CBT and Darril Gibson's book. So far, I like both of these resources as well. I'm taking the Sec+ test this Saturday. Gibon's book has test questions with very detailed explanations which I learn from. I also looked at some CBTNuggets Sec+ stuff as well. I think the more resources you use, the more perspectives you'll get which equals more solid understanding of the material.

    CCNA is my next monster to tackle. I plan on using Train Signal's CBT for it and an emulator. Overall, CBTs in general are what I prefer because it is easier to stay awake the live demos in Career Academy are awesome.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    rushdown wrote: »
    I've watched Train Signal's Network+ CBT and thorougly enjoyed it. I passed the Net+ exam with that and Exam Cram's book. I love Train Signal's menu system for easy navigation when I look through the videos again for review purposes. Also, Ed Liberman is a good teacher because he keeps you awake.

    For Sec+, I'm using Career Academy's CBT and Darril Gibson's book. So far, I like both of these resources as well. I'm taking the Sec+ test this Saturday. Gibon's book has test questions with very detailed explanations which I learn from. I also looked at some CBTNuggets Sec+ stuff as well. I think the more resources you use, the more perspectives you'll get which equals more solid understanding of the material.

    CCNA is my next monster to tackle. I plan on using Train Signal's CBT for it and an emulator. Overall, CBTs in general are what I prefer because it is easier to stay awake the live demos in Career Academy are awesome.

    Thanks for the information, and welcome to TE.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • rushdownrushdown Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks.

    I passed my Security+ exam today. My strategy worked!

    CCNA is my next target.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on passing!
    You're going to find the CCNA is a much bigger challenge.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats.

    I just bought the trainsignal yesterday. It is starting off a little slow. I've only watched the first two vidoes (and the first is just a 5 minute intro to the instructor and the second is a 35 minute intro to why security is important). Hopefully the 3rd and beyond pick up.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • rushdownrushdown Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Congrats on passing!
    You're going to find the CCNA is a much bigger challenge.

    Thank you!

    For CCNA, I'm going to borrow my friend's copy of Train Signal's videos.

    But, I do not have any physical equipment to play with.

    I downloaded the complete GNS3 yesterday to simulate equipment.
Sign In or Register to comment.