Sun VirtualBox and virtual labs

ObdurateObdurate Member Posts: 108
Hello All,

I am using VirtualBox to run my Windows Server 2003 for my upcoming 70-290 exam (end of July), and I was wondering if I could not improve the look and feel of my test environment.

What I want to do is install Virtualbox on my wife's netbook (it is more powerful than my desktop), then install the trial version of W2K3 inside Virtualbox, and then also install XP Pro inside that Virtualbox.

My question is this: how do I setup Virtualbox so that the virtual Windows Server 2003 and the virtual XP Pro workstation work together in a mini-virtual network?

~Obdurate~

Comments

• NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    When you install virtual box setup the two virtual machines. For the network adapters of the virtual machines you can choose "bridged" which will allow them to obtain an ip from your home network via DHCP....or choose internal "inet" and they will both need static ip addresses but will be on the same closed network.
  • ObdurateObdurate Member Posts: 108
    When you install virtual box setup the two virtual machines. For the network adapters of the virtual machines you can choose "bridged" which will allow them to obtain an ip from your home network via DHCP....or choose internal "inet" and they will both need static ip addresses but will be on the same closed network.

Thank you,

I will give it a shot tomorrow morning, and post my results.

Obdurate~
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Virtualbox is awesome.

When first installed I was confused by the options, too. Here's a brief rundown.

Bridged: Just like another (real) computer on your existing NAT/DHCP router. Your DHCP on the router could conflict with Windows Server DHCP. Internet works fine.

Host-Only: Your host can see and respond to the Virtual machine guest, and the guest can respond to the host. Virtual machines cannot talk to each other.

NAT: Network Address Translation, mostly for guest vm Internet access; guests cannot interact with each other

Internal: All guests can be one the same virtual network broadcast domain, sans router or default gateway. No internet.

You can change the default options with finagling, of course, but why make it harder than it has to be?
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.