Options

Don't like current job, old boss offered me position

bar182bar182 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Heres the deal, 4 months ago I left company A and went into a new client facing consulting role with company B and I dont like it at all. Very lonely kind of job a lot of driving everyday and my diet has become non existant so I am putting on a bit of weight. I believe how depressed I was with this job also lead to the breakup of my relationship. I dont know why I dont like it, I just dont.

Fast forward to yesterday my old boss calls me up and says the guy who used to be in the position above me is resigning and would I like the job. He knows I dont like my current job.

I am meeting him next week, I am thinking of going back but I guess it entirely depends on the offer. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I am worried it would be a backwards step but at the same time I want to be happy.
MCP | MCTS:Vista| CCA:XenApp5|
WIP > 70-291 for MCSA

Comments

• Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    A lot of us do the jobs that we do, because we truely care about what we do, where we do it, and who we do it with. God that sounds really bad! Anyway, why work a job that your not happy at.

If you were happy at your previous job, there is a good chance that you would be happy there again, with some possible added responsibilities and pay. Maybe its a step back in those regards of what your doing now, but look at that difference, and determine if that difference is worth being happy or not.
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    There's more to a job than the total compensation package... the commute, coworkers, management, work you're doing, what kind of environment you're doing it in and many others. Those are the things difficult to quantify.

I would say give it some serious consideration even if it's a pay cut, if you know you're going to enjoy it.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cash is KING!

With that being said go with your gut/heart.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies. I am really leaning towards going back now. I just feel bad as I feel I will be letting my current team down, but if I cannot help not feeling happy.

It really should be straight forward and I should go back. I guess I would feel a little embarassed going back to the old workplace.
    WIP > 70-291 for MCSA
  • Options
    Just to add to this, should I see if I could maybe go on contract rather than fulltime? could be an option?
    WIP > 70-291 for MCSA
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    bar182 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. I am really leaning towards going back now. I just feel bad as I feel I will be letting my current team down, but if I cannot help not feeling happy.

The most important person here is you. You need to look after you, 'cos no one as will. In a month's time you will have forgotten them, they will have forgotten you.

I've seen many people leave my workplace only to return a few months later. We try new things, sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't.

Contract, why not? Make the suggestion, they may welcome it.
  • Options
    ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    The most important person here is you. You need to look after you, 'cos no one as will.

can't emphasize this enough.
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Just to add to this, should I see if I could maybe go on contract rather than fulltime? could be an option?

What made you think of this?

I've considered it myself, so I'm just a little curious.
    For me, it would be a bit more 'free'dom, not that I don't have a good deal at the moment, but it could break open a couple things I'd like to do.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    What made you think of this?

I've considered it myself, so I'm just a little curious.
    For me, it would be a bit more 'free'dom, not that I don't have a good deal at the moment, but it could break open a couple things I'd like to do.

Hi sorry for the late reply,

I guess I sort of thought about contracting because I would like to travel the world soon and the better hourly rate coupled with the fact this organisation likes to extend contracts a lot would mean I would be getting a better salary in the longterm.

I actually met with my old boss today for lunch, he said if I wanted a contract he could go 6 months (which would allow me to travel early next year) otherwise it would need to be fulltime. I decided fulltime is better for me at the moment and to travel mid 2012.

The meeting went great the role sounds really good and when he asked for a ball park figure I said $XX,XXX which was $3k higher than my current salary $11k higher if you don't count my travel allowance as part of my package (as I have to pay all my expenses out of that allowance in my current job). As soon as I gave him the figure he immediately said "I'll give you more"

How good! Waiting on the offer now. Smiles all round. :)
    WIP > 70-291 for MCSA
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Hi sorry for the late reply,

The meeting went great the role sounds really good and when he asked for a ball park figure I said $XX,XXX which was $3k higher than my current salary $11k higher if you don't count my travel allowance as part of my package (as I have to pay all my expenses out of that allowance in my current job). As soon as I gave him the figure he immediately said "I'll give you more"

Good news, I would never stay anywhere I wasn't happy I quit a job a few months back for that reason, if you spend 8 hours a day somewhere it has to be a good environment.

It sound like you got a great escape ging on. ;)
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ....The meeting went great the role sounds really good and when he asked for a ball park figure...... :)

Excellent!

Congratulations!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□

I think I'd be a little suspicious after that. Are you 100% sure what you're getting yourself into or does he just really like you? I figure he has to since he kept up with you after you left.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    forkvoid wrote: »
    There's more to a job than the total compensation package... the commute, coworkers, management, work you're doing, what kind of environment you're doing it in and many others. Those are the things difficult to quantify.

I would say give it some serious consideration even if it's a pay cut, if you know you're going to enjoy it.

This is very true. There are many pieces to a job, and each one of us ranks them as different. Some people stick money at number 1, while other people put their happiness at number 1.

Unless I was desparate for money, I wouldn't just sit in a job that I hated. I might not just openly quit to go jobless, but I would certainly be looking. This offer seems to be good for you. It will likely be a raise over where you were, and get you back in a place that you like to be.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been in this position before. I was at a job that require alot of my time and spend time away from my family. I did not care for my manager but I was good friends with the IT Director. I found another job and gave my two weeks notice. When I gave my two weeks notice the IT Director called me in and ask if there was anything he could do to make me stay. I said not really and he asked me for my reason of leaving. He asked me was it because of my manager and I explain no to him but that was one reason. I really did not want to make the manager out to sound horrible because that is not what I do.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□

Er, you pay $8K for travel... out of your own money? A year? If you owned the business, I could see it. As an employee... I would fight that or leave. Period.

Heck, as an employer I normally payed some travel.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    Zartanasaurus - no need to be suspicious I know the guy quite well, he said I will have to shoulder more responsibility but that's all good. They advertising for two roles that will work together he said if I come on board I will decide who will be hired in the other role as we have to work together.

Ashenwelt - the 8k is a travel allowance given to me on top of my salary, it is not part of my salary. This is done instead of claiming all expenses and getting the business to me back. Whether or not the figure is too high or too low i am not sure.
    WIP > 70-291 for MCSA
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hope it goes well for you mate. But I wouldnt get my hopes too high till I had actually had an offer in my hands. Good luck again!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    Hope it goes well for you mate. But I wouldnt get my hopes too high till I had actually had an offer in my hands. Good luck again!

The offer is a lock so there is no issue.

He emailed me today and has offered me $5k more than I asked for.
    WIP > 70-291 for MCSA
  • Options
    I have officially accepted the job and will be resigning tomorrow
    WIP > 70-291 for MCSA
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome news, hope everything works out well for you and congrats!
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats!

I'm glad it's working out for you. Good for you for leaving a job you're unhappy with. If your job negatively effects other important things in your life (health, relationships), it's time to leave. Period.

This is why you never burn bridges. I've been through something very similar. Now I'm contracting 4 hours a day through my previous employer at a much higher rate and have the flexibility to pick up new clients. Contracting can be a very lucrative, fun and challenging if you have the right clients and relationships with them.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)