Options

Taking the BSCI again

chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
I have already failed the exam once by about a hundred points, and got dis-hearted and stopped working on it. While I am still adamant about getting my CCVP studies, it would be a shame to let what study time I put into BSCI go away and my boss is encouraging me to go take the exam before the change over. I'll be updating this thread with my studies very likely, as I will be catching up rapidly from where I left off.

First up is OSPF single and multi-layer. I'm going to be using Chris Bryant's lab topology as well as some stuff from netacad. The netacad stuff will be done on real equipment and Bryant's lab will be in GNS3. With any luck I will be a pro on the exam topics in a few weeks of refresh. My biggest issue will be BGP, but hopefully I can get it done. I'll be pushing myself through a bit of a bootcamp to prepare again.
Currently Pursuing
WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
mikej412 wrote:
Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Good luck and keep us updated. Can't see why you can't pass it again now that you've seen the test!!
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Go at it. It took me 2 times to pass the composite. I got closer each time. Just use the score sheet as a place to find out where your weak at. Hit those areas hard and what helped me was boson practice test cause they had links on what you get wrong to put you towards cisco's website. So every time I took a test everything I got wrong I would use the link to build study material for next days reading.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    chmorin wrote: »
    I have already failed the exam once by about a hundred points, and got dis-hearted and stopped working on it. While I am still adamant about getting my CCVP studies, it would be a shame to let what study time I put into BSCI go away and my boss is encouraging me to go take the exam before the change over. I'll be updating this thread with my studies very likely, as I will be catching up rapidly from where I left off.

First up is OSPF single and multi-layer. I'm going to be using Chris Bryant's lab topology as well as some stuff from netacad. The netacad stuff will be done on real equipment and Bryant's lab will be in GNS3. With any luck I will be a pro on the exam topics in a few weeks of refresh. My biggest issue will be BGP, but hopefully I can get it done. I'll be pushing myself through a bit of a bootcamp to prepare again.

You'll do fine now that you seen the exam. My recommendation is to hit hard: IPV6, BGP, and Multicasting. Review the areas that you know your weak in and you'll do just fine. icon_thumright.gif It took me 2 attempts to slay the beast. My first try I failed by 7. At the time I honestly had wished that I failed by 100. LOL.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    One thing I would mention is to not just rely on labs given, but to create your own topologies and facilitate connectivity between all the parts. Using specified labs is cool, but sometimes you can understand more when you have to design the network based upon requirements, or make a totally random network and force yourself to make it work together.

Other than that though, good luck with it, it definitely is a beast of an exam, but once its done, you feel great, I know I did :D
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck! icon_thumright.gif
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    stuh84 wrote: »
    One thing I would mention is to not just rely on labs given, but to create your own topologies and facilitate connectivity between all the parts. Using specified labs is cool, but sometimes you can understand more when you have to design the network based upon requirements, or make a totally random network and force yourself to make it work together.

Other than that though, good luck with it, it definitely is a beast of an exam, but once its done, you feel great, I know I did :D

This is what I plan on doing near the end of my studies.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I have been working on OSPF and am working on making a few labs on my blog. I have a single area OSPF lab done and up on my blog if you wana follow: Cisco Treks: BSCI - Single Area OSPF Lab

By the end of the weekend I should be back up to my good knowledge of OSPF and started on EIGRP, which will be fun haha! By the end of next week I'll focus on BGP. We will see how that goes XD.

IPv6 I will need to hit hard too, I know I did bad on the test with that.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    Well I dipped my feet into OSPF multi area last night, and will dive in deeper after my festivities tonight. I made another lab if you want to follow: Cisco Treks: BSCI - OSPF Lab : Intro to Multi Area

With any luck I'll be brushed up on OSPF enough to start EIGRP & OSPF Monday. Thats another plan of mine, when I study the new routing protocol, the old one is still going to be configured to work with it.

PS:

Someone neg-reputation me on my topic. Did I do something wrong?
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    Well I dipped my feet into OSPF multi area last night, and will dive in deeper after my festivities tonight. I made another lab if you want to follow: Cisco Treks: BSCI - OSPF Lab : Intro to Multi Area

With any luck I'll be brushed up on OSPF enough to start EIGRP & OSPF Monday. Thats another plan of mine, when I study the new routing protocol, the old one is still going to be configured to work with it.

PS:

Someone neg-reputation me on my topic. Did I do something wrong?

Keep up the good work... your documentation of your studies will prove vital to you and your plans to retake your exam... don't worry about the neg-rep stuff!! Keep pushing forward. Good luck... icon_thumright.gif

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    First of all, good luck on your retake.

Secondly, I would recommend Routing TCP/IP Vol.1, the BSCI self-study guide, the Chris Bryant stuff, and the BSCI Lab portfolio. As many of these as you can get your hands on, the better IMO.

Lastly, don't forget to lab, lab, lab!
  • Options
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    First of all, good luck on your retake.

Secondly, I would recommend Routing TCP/IP Vol.1, the BSCI self-study guide, the Chris Bryant stuff, and the BSCI Lab portfolio. As many of these as you can get your hands on, the better IMO.

Lastly, don't forget to lab, lab, lab!

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. Trust me there will be no lack of labbing, as I am also training for TSHOOT at the same time (I'm going to kill myself >.>;).

Anyway, I made some notes to wrap up my small experiances with OSPF: Cisco Treks: BSCI - Multi Area OSPF Notes

If I am wrong about anything in there please tell me! =) I hope everyone had a great 4th!
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote: