Options

Flavor used most in IT - CentOS vs Suse?

lespaulman74lespaulman74 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im preparing to study for my Linux exam and thinking of studying from two flavors of linux - one rpm based and the other debian.

question is, on the RPM side - is there one flavor or linux used more in IT environments? Namely:

- Fedora
- CentOS
- SuSe

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Im preparing to study for my Linux exam and thinking of studying from two flavors of linux - one rpm based and the other debian.

That's a good strategy.
    question is, on the RPM side - is there one flavor or linux used more in IT environments? Namely:

- Fedora
    - CentOS
    - SuSe

Thanks

Red Hat is probably the most common, so CentOS would be the closest to that. However, the Linux+ is high-level, so it's not going to matter a great deal for that. Understanding RPM is a significant portion of the exam, so just make sure you get that down, however you want to go about it.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    We have a lot of CentOS based machines around where we are, doing generic server tasks and some other useful things. Fedora is no use in a business environment as it is bleeding edge, so more likely to fail.

Suse I personally find useless all round, but thats just because I think it is bloated and YaST is worse than anything I've ever seen for package management/computer management
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    I use Ubuntu LTS Server for a dev server for my dev team (ruby, rails, mysql). For my Oracle 10g & 11g platforms, I run CentOS 5 X64. Most DBA's cringe at it since it's not an officially supported platform by Oracle, but we're not a production shop. We're an OPN development shop with a tight budget, so CentOS costs us nothing to run & maintain. I am confident enough in it to maintain it. Basically it boils down to cost for my shop. If I HAD to have official support, it would be OEL. Since I don't require O/S support, I choose CentOS, since it's such Binary Clone of RHEL, the Oracle software identifies it as RHEL. In short, it works for us, and have had zero issues doing it. I would recommend if you want to go down the Linux path, your idea is a smart one. Get familiar with 2 types of distros. RHEL and Debian is a smart choice since they both have a lot of variants.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    lespaulman74lespaulman74 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the input!! Looks like im headed down the right path.

Thanks
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    We use Linux Version 3 for most of our production stuff currently and HP-UX boxes paired with Oracle 9 and 10.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say CentOS-->Fedora-->Suse

according to what I've seen while working in Operations department for two companies once in US and the other in Chile and it was CentOS for all of their servers (more than 80)
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Any Redhat based distro :) although sometimes I do use Debian aswell
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like CentOS because if my Linux-retarded self can use it anyone can.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I like CentOS because if my Linux-retarded self can use it anyone can.

Well that depends how you use it. CentOS is bulky to be honest, but it has everything you need out of the box to run it as a proper LAMP server.

distrowatch.com - keep yourself in the loop.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What about CentOS do you find to be bulky?
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can't install it with a floppy disk.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Red Hat for my Enterprise environments (I've found), followed by CentOS and all our Linux boxes here are SLES 9/10/11.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm ashamed of you all. Dude asks about a Linux flavor and not a single one of you makes a Mint joke.

I vote for CentOS as well. I've used it at a few locations for different applications and like it a lot. At my former job we also had an Ubuntu server box and it was just as solid.

I am fairly sure this will be the next big enterprise distro to watch, though: Welcome to HannahMontana.sourceforge.net
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I am fairly sure this will be the next big enterprise distro to watch, though: Welcome to HannahMontana.sourceforge.net
    Amidst all that pink, definitely! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif