Options

Certificate Services - Difference Between Template Versions?

LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm busy going over my weak areas in preparation taking the 70-647 exam and am struggling with Certificate Services Template Versions.

Does anyone have a definitive list/table showing the differences and advantages/disadvantages of each version? I need to know when to use which etc.

PKI/Certificate Services has always been my weakest area, even when doing the MCSE track. icon_sad.gif

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Luke

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Certificate Templates Overview

Certificate template. A preconfigured list of certificate settings that allows users and computers to enroll for certificates without having to create complex certificate requests.
    • Version 2 certificate templates are customizable certificate templates that are supported with Windows Server® 2008 Enterprise–based CAs or Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition–based CAs. Version 2 certificate templates enable advanced CA features such as key archival and recovery and certificate autoenrollment.
      • In order to use version 2 templates, Active Directory must be upgraded to support Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2003 schema changes.
      • Standard editions of Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003 support only version 1 certificate templates, which are not customizable and do not support key archival or autoenrollment.
    • Version 3 certificate templates are new in Windows Server 2008. Version 3 certificate templates function similarly to version 2 templates, and they support new Active Directory Certificate Services (AD CS) features available in Windows Server 2008. These features include Cryptography Next Generation (CNG), which introduces support for Suite B cryptographic algorithms such as elliptic curve cryptography (ECC).
    You also may want to look at Certificate Template Versions
    Hope this helps
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks - greatly appreciated.

For some reason I couldn't find that :-/