Options

Web Development Field - Your Thoughts

techsource2005techsource2005 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Guys,

I have been working as a Help Desk Tech for the past five years. I feel as if I have learned enough and now want to move into something different.

I have been seriously thinking about making a move to the Web Development field.

The local community college has a program called: Associate of Technical Arts in Web Application Development.

Do you think with this degree, I can possibly move into a web development role ?

+ do they have more seniority then Help Desk folks ?

In every organization, I see Web Developers in mid-senior level positions and are generally better off.

What do you guys think ?

Good career move or not ?

Is Web Development considered mid-to-senior level IT ?

Also, how hard do you think it will be for someone with no experience to enter ?

Like always, your feedback will be much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Good career move? Yes

Mid level IT? Depends on if you are a webmaster just making changes for a big company, or a developer creating the websites. Web has its own levels too.

My advice would be, before you pay for any coursework, get yourself familiar with Photoshop, flash, and Dreamweaver (or some similar tools). If you enjoy working with those, then go for it.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would advise you to get a little hands on with some of the technology, as brad- suggested, and spend a lot of time with it. If you enjoy doing it enough that you can see yourself enjoying it while spending 8-10 hours a day doing it then it could be a good move for you. Don't just move to it for "greener pastures" but see if it's something you can grow to love doing.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yes, check the water before going in. Also to get some exp you can do some side jobs..
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wrong Post

BTW Good luck!
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd check job boards, see what skills are needed to move into the Web Development field.

Work on those skills, and do some side gigs to make sure this is what you really want. icon_thumright.gif