Options

I need help in looking for a job.

gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
I highly need a new job. i currently work at UPS package handling (HATE IT SO MUCH)... I really want to quit, and step my feet into the IT Field asap.
I currently Hold My CCENT,CCNA, and will have my [FONT=&quot]AA Computer & Information Sciences Networking Technician/Operator [/FONT] by the end of this year, and college Certificate for Network Admin. I want to look for a job but i really really don't know where to start from and need some help. I dont want to answer phone calls in a help desk i wanna know if there is any alternative routes where i can get my hands on experience really looking forward to being a network engineer but obviously i need to start from rock bottom. What can you guys recommend me to do i want to start applying. I have no Experience, I've only attended job training centers during my high school summer vacation did a little volunteer work on campus but that was a few years ago. here it goes what i currently hold again

No IT Field Experience
CCENT,CCNA
[FONT=&quot]AA Computer & Information Sciences Networking Technician/Operator [/FONT]
and a community college certificate for Networking Admin.

what steps is recommended for me to take. and sorry for repetition. Just really anxious to change my life around I really REALLY REALLY REALLY hate my job tired of aching back pains and sore backs want to end it all the labor work (as far as shipping company)

Comments

• Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Can only recommend that you keep submitting that CV to as many places as possible! It might also be worth looking at doing some network orientated voluntary work. This will help greatly in showing some applied experience.

I know you say you don't want to answer phones, but this is where most people start out in IT on the helpdesk. Its easier to progress once you are already in IT.

Best of luck to you.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    gateway wrote: »

I know you say you don't want to answer phones, but this is where most people start out in IT on the helpdesk. Its easier to progress once you are already in IT.

+1

Do not rule out the helpdesk jobs.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Would you rather handle packages or answer the phone? You have to start somewhere...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I highly need a new job. i currently work at UPS package handling (HATE IT SO MUCH)... I really want to quit, and step my feet into the IT Field asap.
    I currently Hold My CCENT,CCNA, and will have my [FONT=&quot]AA Computer & Information Sciences Networking Technician/Operator [/FONT] by the end of this year, and college Certificate for Network Admin. I want to look for a job but i really really don't know where to start from and need some help. I dont want to answer phone calls in a help desk i wanna know if there is any alternative routes where i can get my hands on experience really looking forward to being a network engineer but obviously i need to start from rock bottom. What can you guys recommend me to do i want to start applying. I have no Experience, I've only attended job training centers during my high school summer vacation did a little volunteer work on campus but that was a few years ago. here it goes what i currently hold again

No IT Field Experience
    CCENT,CCNA
    [FONT=&quot]AA Computer & Information Sciences Networking Technician/Operator [/FONT]

what steps is recommended for me to take. and sorry for repetition. Just really anxious to change my life around I really REALLY REALLY REALLY hate my job tired of aching back pains and sore backs want to end it all the labor work (as far as shipping company)

Gregorio,

As others have stated, you'll probably have to start at a helpdesk in order to gain experience. Also, universities, churches, and local "mom & pop" shops are excellent ways to get volunteer experience (and help out the community) on your resume. Without experience, you'll be hard pressed to receive an interview for an IT related job. Now, I don't want to sound as if its impossible, but reality has shown and proven that with 0 experience, you will not be able to get a job beyond a helpdesk.

Look at it this way... if you start on a helpdesk, you'll gain the knowledge and experience you need to land that next level job. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you can't get out of UPS for now, is there anyway that you can start doing a job at UPS that deals with customer service?? I see requirments for customer service in Helpdesk positions. If you live in the US, did you try looking at doing workstudy for IT at school?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    On your resume/CV, list your computer labs as experience. Also, list all of your computer/networking college courses as well, and any customer service experience that you may have.

Consider searching for all the managed services providers in your area, and apply with them. Where I live, some of the MSP's are willing to hire IT newbies out of college. Also, look/apply for entry level NOC jobs.

If you aren't able to find a job by the time you graduate, consider the military. The military occupational specialty (MOS) 25N in the US Army could be great experience leading into a career in networking.
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I currently Hold My CCENT,CCNA, and will have my [FONT=&quot]AA Computer & Information Sciences Networking Technician/Operator [/FONT]by the end of this year, and college Certificate for Network Admin. I want to look for a job but i really really don't know where to start from and need some help. I dont want to answer phone calls in a help desk i wanna know if there is any alternative routes where i can get my hands on experience really looking forward to being a network engineer but obviously i need to start from rock bottom. What can you guys recommend me to do i want to start applying. I have no Experience, I've only attended job training centers during my high school summer vacation did a little volunteer work on campus but that was a few years ago. here it goes what i currently hold again

No IT Field Experience
    CCENT,CCNA

You really only have two options. The IT market is flooded.

1. Helpdesk or some sort of CSR / tech position

2. Data center operator. Probably a 3rd shift.
  • Options
    Well I understand about starting out in the bottom and work my self up which i am now dedicating my time to look for a job for a IT Helpdesk or any entry level sort of tech that will benefit me. Do you guys have any recommendation of what to stay away from ? what certs should i be going after other than Cisco Certifications.? and do you guys know any good websites where i can search for IT jobs and what exactly should i look for in the search.
  • Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    Well I understand about starting out in the bottom and work my self up which i am now dedicating my time to look for a job for a IT Helpdesk or any entry level sort of tech that will benefit me. Do you guys have any recommendation of what to stay away from ? what certs should i be going after other than Cisco Certifications.? and do you guys know any good websites where i can search for IT jobs and what exactly should i look for in the search.

I had 0 certs and very little experiance in IT minus working in a PC repair shop before I the job I have now opened up. I personally would just take anything as long as it got me in the door as its rather hard to get in at the moment.

Now I've been here 3 1/2 years with almost MCSA and other quals. Also helpdesk isn't that bad. :D
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Use Dice, Indeed, Craigs List, USA Jobs, and it would probably help you depending upon your location to check your phone book for large companies which may have an IT department. If there is a large hospital in your area check on their site for career opportunities,
    Look for helpdesk, IT Support, Desktop support.
    You may even, though a lot of people here may disagree, apply to geek squad if you have a best buy in your area.
    It may even, though some may disagree, help you land your first job by getting your A+. I got my current contract job just based on having my A+.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    mindCodermindCoder Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I, personally, sat on the phones for two years taking call after call after call - The whole time learning and studying as much as I could. Then I applied at 100+ places for internal help desk jobs and finally landed one after about 5 months of looking for it full-time. That is where I'm at today.

Just like everyone else wisely stated, it's a hard slow road right now, especially for techs - take the phone job for awhile and sweat it out. After time you get use to it and it's not that bad anyway.

That aside, and without getting political, try the public sector. They seem to be growing right now. :S
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do the HelpDesk as this is where we all start.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    As a side note, a CCNA will not get you a job with no experience. I would've started out with an A+, Net+ and Sec+ before deciding to specalize anywhere else. Granted this is not the route I took but I was working in the field when I earned my CCNA.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    CountryboiCountryboi Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    man i use to work at UPS and man did i work harder at that part time job than I have since at any of my full time jobs help desk included...the only good thing about that job is the free healthcare..there was no path for advancement either unless you became a driver or a supervisor thats it..they had IT people but there was no way to get from being a package handler to working IT for them.....if your really serious about IT you will do what you have to do to pay your dues...plus help desk work is not as bad as you think it is
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Dice.com is an outstanding resource. I am beyond the help desk days, but I see posts on there all the time that would be perfect for you. Get creative, look for postings that are aimed that the intern crowd.

You have really excellent qualifications for getting a very good entry level job. I would not say the IT market is flooded, like all other jobs right now employers are very selective. Look and sound upbeat and motivated. Dress better, speak better, listen better, and behave better, than the average IT guy and you will be OK even in this crappy economy. I work closely with my boss who handles hiring decision, it is always based 40% on technical ability and 60% on things like attitude, reliability, friendliness, etc.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would also recommend getting on LinkedIn and networking as much as you can, especially with recruiters. There's also a TON of job posting boards on there (groups.)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Thanks for all your guys help i im searching and applied at a few places kinda bit nervous about answering phone calls and all that since im not use to it but im sure i'll get over it after a few days working at helpdesk.

and the only reason why i didnt go through the A+ and Network+ was because i've been doing cisco traning since high school would go to SkillsvicaUSA, Job Training Centers for it during my summer so i was already well informed and it was far easier. I've taken classes for A+ and Network+ they are a breeze which is why im heading for those next and i was in a budget and wanted to make sure i get my CCNA asap. so while looking for a job i will be working on my Network+ and A+ and might be trying MCSA know sounds likea load but god damnitt IM SO COMITTED TO GET OUT OF UPS!!!!!!!!!! I EFFIN HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!!!!!!! only reason why i havent left i need to pay my lame bills !!!!!!!