Options

ROUTE book size

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
I've seen the new SWITCH book, and it's not nearly as thick as some of Cisco's other books. I heard that the ROUTE book is fairly thick? How expensive was it?

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    ROUTE Hardcover...768 pages
    I don't have mine with me ATM so I can't say exactly, but it's probably around 100 to 150 pages shorter than that.
    SWITCH Hardcover...504 pages
    This is the SWITCH book which I am currently reading (247/408 :)) and.. well that's it, 408 pages... unless you plan on reading the glossary and index!
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ROUTE foundation Learning guide is 900+ pages (sitting on the desk behind me begging to get read :) )
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    DevilWAH: Where did you get your ROUTE Foundation book from? Amazon still isn't selling it icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Direct from cisco press.

I always use cisco press, I almost always have a 35% off voucher to use so it works out only a little mroe expensive than amazon.

I am still not sure about getting switch foundation.. I know I am 99% of the way to passing (854 out of 890). would love to have a flix though before resitting it but dont know if its worth it.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    FatbunnyFatbunny Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Amazon US is selling it but Amazon UK still says its not released. I'm going with jeremys nuggets and the certification guide. I hope I'm not missing out on anything going this route, I would prefer the foundation book but funds are tight (I do have a hardware so I think I'll be ok).
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    The SWITCH foundation book is probably one of the best SWITCH books I've ever read. And I've got a couple books dedicated to switching, this could be the gold standard in SWITCH topics....
  • Options
    The SWITCH foundation book is probably one of the best SWITCH books I've ever read. And I've got a couple books dedicated to switching, this could be the gold standard in SWITCH topics....

What's the section on things like SONA and Design like. in my view this was the only bit lacking on the cert guide.

I would say with equipment to practice on all you need is the cert guide. Apart from the design and planning topics that it dosen't really cove in much depth. The rest it is plenty for.

Problem solved :) work are going to buy it for me I have decided. :)
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    What's the section on things like SONA and Design like. in my view this was the only bit lacking on the cert guide.

I would say with equipment to practice on all you need is the cert guide. Apart from the design and planning topics that it dosen't really cove in much depth. The rest it is plenty for.

Problem solved :) work are going to buy it for me I have decided. :)

LOL lucky you.

It is very very in depth. It talks about design soooo much more than the cert guide. I look at the entire CCNP cert guide books as crap.

I haven't read the ROUTE cert guide but another guy is and he's complaining how light it is.

These foundation books I think are the way to go...
  • Options
    LOL lucky you.

It is very very in depth. It talks about design soooo much more than the cert guide. I look at the entire CCNP cert guide books as crap.

I haven't read the ROUTE cert guide but another guy is and he's complaining how light it is.

These foundation books I think are the way to go...

I like the cert guides, if you know the stuff then they are a great review tool. reading some of the ROUTE foundation they do seem to "hold your hand" a bit, I can see myself getting bored with some of it.
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I like the cert guides, if you know the stuff then they are a great review tool. reading some of the ROUTE foundation they do seem to "hold your hand" a bit, I can see myself getting bored with some of it.

Right, but I have no issue with the official cert guides if they covered ALL THE TOPICS. But they don't. And when they don't, that is scary....

I understand the cert guides aren't really meant to teach you all the ins and outs, but to prep you for the exam, and that's fine. But Cisco rushed these books and because of that the authors are left having to make up the difference in their blogs....
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Right, but I have no issue with the official cert guides if they covered ALL THE TOPICS. But they don't. And when they don't, that is scary....

I understand the cert guides aren't really meant to teach you all the ins and outs, but to prep you for the exam, and that's fine. But Cisco rushed these books and because of that the authors are left having to make up the difference in their blogs....

There's a couple things you have to remember. Cisco Press is not a division of Cisco, and the authors do not have and have never had any insider info as to what is on the actual exam. There was a nice post on Wendell Odom's blog not too long ago explaining the process of how these books came to be.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    There's a couple things you have to remember. Cisco Press is not a division of Cisco, and the authors do not have and have never had any insider info as to what is on the actual exam. There was a nice post on Wendell Odom's blog not too long ago explaining the process of how these books came to be.

I was not aware that Cisco Press was not directly somehow related to Cisco?

As for the authors not knowing, that is most definitley true. And the fact that the official cert guide books came out just about the same time the new track came out is proof!

Since it takes time to write the book, edit and get it to print, this means they started last year...

And the fact that they are missing some topics is also telling.
  • Options
    I was not aware that Cisco Press was not directly somehow related to Cisco?

As for the authors not knowing, that is most definitley true. And the fact that the official cert guide books came out just about the same time the new track came out is proof!

Since it takes time to write the book, edit and get it to print, this means they started last year...

And the fact that they are missing some topics is also telling.

Remember that the cert guides are not ment to contain all the information, there are inbetween the quick refance guide, and the foundation books. And to be fair to them having taking the test there is nothing in the exam taht they do not at least mention. They are not meant to cover topices in great deatail, jsut enough to "guide" you on what topics to be prepared for.

The trouble with the design topics is that you can't find the infor on the web. Do a search for SONA and the info you get back is no more informative than whats in the cert guides.

Also remember the guides came out before the exams were released, where as the foundation guides have come out months after, giving time for I imagen a lot of revisions! By the time the second edition arive of the cert guides I think they will be a great set of books.

Personal I find them much more intresting to read than the foundation books.
  • Options
    Work is cool :)

they got me both the hardcover and the digital version so didn't even ahve to wait for it to ship before I can read it.