Just passed the 701 Essentials... 702 next up!

digitallyinclineddigitallyinclined Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys! Well, today I just passed the A+ 701 by about 11 points. I scheduled the 702 for one week from today and am wondering as someone who marginally passed the 701, what I should focus on. My study aids for the 701 consisted mainly of Meyers all in one text and it's practice exams. There was some stuff on the 701 that I've never seen in my life, let alone in the Meyers text. What advice or prep did you guys do between your 701 and 702 exams? Thanks!!

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on passing the 701! I took both the same day with just a snack break in between so all I can say is look at the objectives for the 702 and find what you think you're weak on to study.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!! Keep it movin! icon_thumright.gif

The wierd thing is that, at least in my case, I did way better on the 702 than I did on the 701 even though it is somewhat harder (hard is always a relative term lol). You'll be fine! As earweed said, hit the objectives and you got this.
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!!
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the 701! Best wishes on the 702.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • digitallyinclineddigitallyinclined Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed the 702 today with a 767 and found it to be much easier than the 701. Thanks again for all the help and clarifications coming from this forum, it's much appreciated!

Next up: 270, 290 and 291 for my MCSA. Any one recommend a particular testing order for those next three? I took my Net+ before both A+ exams and found that to be extremely advantageous.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass.

I went 270, 290, 291 with no problems. Some people prefer the 290, 270, 291.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on your passes! I did the 270.290, 291. Are you going for the MCSE? Or upgrading the MCSA?
  • digitallyinclineddigitallyinclined Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Going for my MCSA, so I have 2/5 requirements fulfilled (A+ & Net+) thus far. =)

Does anyone know if they plan on retiring 270, 290 or 291 anytime soon?

If I don't struggle with 290/291, I may also try to knock out a Security+ before CompTIA initiates their new membership policy.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No announcement yet. I would guess that you have at least until the end of the year. (At least thats what I'm hoping as I won't be done with my MCSE until about November).

You should have no problem knocking down 270, 290, 291 and Security+ if you work hard. I did 270, 290, 291 in about 3 months and plan to have Security+ done in the next month. It has been a lot of work thus far, so don't take it lightly.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!icon_thumright.gif
  • skwira001skwira001 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey guys! Well, today I just passed the A+ 701 by about 11 points. I scheduled the 702 for one week from today and am wondering as someone who marginally passed the 701, what I should focus on. My study aids for the 701 consisted mainly of Meyers all in one text and it's practice exams. There was some stuff on the 701 that I've never seen in my life, let alone in the Meyers text. What advice or prep did you guys do between your 701 and 702 exams? Thanks!!

You saw stuff on a CompTIA exam that you didn't read in the text. Welcome to CompTIA test taking. I took the 600 series tests. I also took the A+ 2009 bridge exam and the Network+ 2009 exam. The test makes you feel you're going to fail.

You need to do much better on the 702. To be honest, there isn't a whole lot of difference in difficulty in the 600 series. You just need to get a better score. Even though most study guides are not going to guarantee you a perfect score if you understand every single concept completely as written in the books, but you can still get a very good score.

If you're a student, I'd suggets Mike Meyers books. After that, use Testout. Testout for students is only $69 or $89. I think they may have knocked it down from $89 when I bought it to $69.