Options

Advantages of CISSP

bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello, what exactly are the advantages of obtaining this certification compared to other industry recognized certifications such as GIAC, CE|H, or OSCP?

For example, if I am a security professional (CISSP) and a rogue user is attacking my network (without CISSP, but has CE|H etc or even a penetration tester in general), what knowledge from this certification would I gain other than in the prevention of attacks.

Thanks in advance.
Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:

Comments

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you are responsible for dealing with the type of situations you described, CISSP is probably not the cert that would be most relevant to that particular function. The CISSP is geared toward reinforcing security concepts that lend themselves toward understanding 'the big picture' as opposed to technical know-how. It is a cert that is typically used as a measuring stick for managers and senior-level individuals, to show that they have a grasp of a wide range of security domains, and to show an understanding of security as a whole, instead of narrow (relatively speaking) technical knowledge.

Just my .02.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Agreed.

OP, for that type of situation, the GCIH (Incident Handler) is probably going to be the most applicable. However, a good understanding of penetration testing and forensics will help as well (the GCIH covers some of this, but more focused certifications go deeper).