Options

ASA Firewall - Switch question

NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I just picked up an ASA 5505 after having worked with a PIX 506E and I am just trying to get a better understanding of the VLANs and built in switch.

I have 2 devices plus a WAP all on the same subnet that I would like to connect to the ASA. So in order to do this, should I connect each device to a port and configure them on the same VLAN?

Do I need to use the "switchport access vlan" command for all three devices on all three ports to be able to talk to each other?

Or should I just go buy a $20 switch and plug it into the ASA and connect everything though that, lol :P

Thanks for the help.
WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
Start Date: December 2013

Comments

• Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    I think the default config on the 5505 puts e0/0 in VLAN1 and e0/0 to e0/7 in VLAN2.

If you're configuring it manually from scratch then you can just do it yourself with the commands you mentioned.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Or should I just go buy a $20 switch and plug it into the ASA and connect everything though that, lol :P

Thanks for the help.

I wouldn't suggest that.

Does the ASA already have a config or is it just out-of-box? If it hasn't been configured yet and still has all the default settings, then:
    About the Factory Default Configuration

Cisco adaptive security appliances are shipped with a factory-default configuration that enables quick startup. The ASA 5505 comes preconfigured with the following:
    blank.gifTwo VLANs: VLAN 1 and VLAN2
    blank.gifVLAN 1 has the following properties:
    blank.gifNamed "inside"
    blank.gifAllocated switch ports Ethernet 0/1 through Ethernet 0/7
    blank.gifSecurity level of 100
    blank.gifAllocated switch ports Ethernet 0/1 through 0/7
    blank.gifIP address of 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
    blank.gifVLAN2 has the following properties:
    blank.gifNamed "outside"
    blank.gifAllocated switch port Ethernet 0/0
    blank.gifSecurity level of 0
    blank.gifConfigured to obtain its IP address using DHCP
    blank.gifInside interface to connect to the device and use ASDM to complete your configuration.
    By default, the adaptive security appliance Inside interface is configured with a default DHCP address pool. This configuration enables a client on the inside network to obtain a DHCP address from the adaptive security appliance to connect to the appliance. Administrators can then configure and manage the adaptive security appliance using ASDM.
    The default configuration that ships with the adaptive security appliance, in most cases, is sufficient for your basic deployment. However, you can modify the default configuration so that you can customize the security policy to suit your deployment. To modify the default settings, you can use the ASDM or the CLI. In ASDM, run the Startup Wizard to change the following settings from their factory default settings:
    blank.gifHostname
    blank.gifDomain name
    blank.gifAdministrative passwords
    blank.gifIP address of the outside interface
    blank.gifInterfaces such as DMZ interfaces
    blank.gifAddress translation rules
    blank.gifDynamic IP address settings for the inside interface
    For more informationa bout configuring the adaptive security appliance by using ASDM, see the online Help.
    For more information about using the CLI configuration, see the Cisco Security Appliance Command Line Configuration Guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/getting_started/asa5505/quick/guide/setup.html
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like those factory defaults are just what I was looking for. I bought it used and I was just trying to reconfigure the corrent setup but I think I will go ahead and restore those settings instead. Thanks for the help.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013