Options

Network Planning

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
My mom came to me today with some questions about getting her network updated. She has used an old Compaq desktop for a number of years and it is showing its age. She is ready to update and get a brand new laptop. My parents run a small business (just the two of them) and I stated there her and my dad both get netbooks and I could set up a server for them to back everything up to. I was thinking of building them a windows home server box and setting up a dynDNS account for a SSL VPN for when they have things at home they need to access. I also want to throw in a new router. So their home network would be something like this:

1 Router/firewall/switch combo
- I might even get them a desktop switch or something

2 netbooks
1 laptop when my sister comes back from college

1 printer (not networked, I would need to use windows home server as a print server)

I think I could accomplish all of this for about 1k. I think this will be pretty straight forward (something that could be accomplished in a weekend). The thing I am most concerned about is keeping it simple. My parents aren't that technical. Anyone ever done anything like this for a parent or customer? How about Windows Home Server? From what I have read, it seems like everything they will need (it even includes an SSL VPN gateway, automatic backups, etc).

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    If it were me I would setup an 871w plus an old pc as a server running CentOS or an equivalent. Configure it with SAMBA and as a print server and you're good to go. Leave SSH open on the box and give yourself an IPSEC VPn through the router. Remote management is set. Problem solved. That's me of course.

I don't expect anyone to run/manage a server without any experience, especially my parents. All they need to do is copy files to and from it.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phantasm wrote: »
    If it were me I would setup an 871w plus an old pc as a server running CentOS or an equivalent. Configure it with SAMBA and as a print server and you're good to go. Leave SSH open on the box and give yourself an IPSEC VPn through the router. Remote management is set. Problem solved. That's me of course.

I don't expect anyone to run/manage a server without any experience, especially my parents. All they need to do is copy files to and from it.

I am going to manage the box for them. I kind of want something that I can set and forget or at least just come by or remote in for updates. If for any reason I had to have them do something, I could probably walk them through the Windows GUI. CentOS would be difficult for them AND thus difficult for me.

Also it is pretty easy (from what I am reading) to set up everything that they would need and I can possibly get WHS for free so.....yea....
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Commodity router of your choice w/ 4 port switch + Mozy (backups) + Logmein. That's about as simple as it gets.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    Commodity router of your choice w/ 4 port switch + Mozy (backups) + Logmein. That's about as simple as it gets.

+1 It's how I troubleshoot a business for my buddy.