Options

My CCNP journey

outrunredoutrunred Banned Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all.

OK - recently certified as CCNA...looking for my next Cisco fix.

CCNP seems the natural progression for me right now although ultimately I would like to wander down the security route - but first things first.....

I notice that there's a few exams going end of life this month....which is a shame as I wanted to use CBTNuggets for my training and they haven't released the vids. for the new exams.

so, my question is....what is the next best thing for video training for the 3 exams?

642-902
642-813
642-832

I also want to back this up with 1 book - no more than 1 though, I like to keep the bulk of my learning as simple and as focussed as possible....videos to explain and a book to compound. Best book suggestion?

cheers peeps.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    outrunred wrote: »
    I also want to back this up with 1 book - no more than 1 though, I like to keep the bulk of my learning as simple and as focussed as possible....videos to explain and a book to compound. Best book suggestion?

Sounds like you are setting yourself up for failure there. Its always a good idea to use more than one book for an exam. And keeping it simple doesn't always work for complex topics. You are going to have to dig a lot deeper in the technologies for the NP than you did for the NA.

That being said, if you only choose one I'd suggest the foundation guides.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    which is a shame as I wanted to use CBTNuggets for my training and they haven't released the vids. for the new exams.

the bsci and bcmsn cbtnuggets videos should cover basically all the topics. i'm using them right now without any problems.

as suggested above multiple sources are crucial to these exams in my opinion. if you do stick with only one book make sure to use the foundation guides and supplement your knowledge with the cisco website to fill in the gaps.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    outrunredoutrunred Banned Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok - thanks chaps.

I should've explained a bit better.... I like to keep the source of th information simple....leads to less contradictions and i get used to a certain style of teaching. but with that said, if I don't understand something or if i feel some gaps need filling I'll supplement it further.

Ok so the 2 cbtnugs you mention will cover me for what? all 3 of the current exams?

foundation guides? basically this book from cisco press?

CCNP Routing and Switching Foundation Learning Library: Foundation Learning for CCNP ROUTE, SWITCH, and TSHOOT 642-902, 642-813, 642-832: Amazon.co.uk: Diane Teare, Richard Froom, Balaji Sivasubramanian, Erum Frahim, Amir Ranjbar: Books

eeeek 100 squids....that's pricey....worth it I guess
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Ok so the 2 cbtnugs you mention will cover me for what? all 3 of the current exams?

a few things taken out a few things added to the new exams as opposed to the old ones but they basically map exactly the same.

those are the ones.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    killuah72killuah72 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you only want to read one book you should get the CCIE R&S Certification Guide:
    Amazon.com: CCIE Routing and Switching Certification Guide (4th…

And hope to hell that the other topics in the exams not included in this book are covered enough by your CBTs. If it's a money issue, use the Cisco Docs...
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Another couple video options would be Internetwork Experts CCNP bootcamp. They have videos out for the old and new track and you automatically get the latest videos in case the track changes during your CCNP studies.

Also, I always recommend Chris Bryants stuff. His Train Signal videos are for the old CCNP track, but a lot of it is the same. His coverage of topics is always very good.

CBT Nuggets doesn't provide the depth necessary to get you through a CCNP exam IMO, though Jeremy Ciora is more engaging than Bryant.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    killuah72 wrote: »
    If you only want to read one book you should get the CCIE R&S Certification Guide:
    Amazon.com: CCIE Routing and Switching Certification Guide (4th…

And hope to hell that the other topics in the exams not included in this book are covered enough by your CBTs. If it's a money issue, use the Cisco Docs...

I wouldn't suggest that book for the NP level exams. It is more of just a review and isn't aimed at teaching the material.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I wouldn't suggest that book for the NP level exams. It is more of just a review and isn't aimed at teaching the material.

+1 for that. All the material I have ran into so far has pretty much been review with the CCNP level books. If you go down the new traffic the QoS, MPLS, and security section (AAA accounting, authorization, RADIUS, TACACS+, etc.....) will not be review. But, I would second that it is a lot of review. Just get the books for each exam and you will be fine.