Options

New ergonomic keyboard and mouse.

JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
After many years of using regular keyboard and mouse my hand started showing carpal tunnel syndrome signs. I switched the regular mouse to Logitech Cordless TrackMan Wheel and it did help to get rid of the hand problem somewhat but at the cost of a productivity. It took me 3 weeks to get used to using mouse ball with my thumb to move the pointer around rather than moving the mouse itself. Now I am looking to substitute my all time favorite Dell classic keyboard with something interesting and more ergonomic.
What do you guys think the following keyboard SmartFish ? Did anybody else have this syndrome, any suggestions on what keyboard to use?

Comments

• Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sure you don't want a Dvorak keyboard? :D
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I used the Logitech Wave. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    I used the Logitech Wave. icon_thumright.gif

Which one do you have, Wave, Desktop Wave or Wave Pro ?
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    I supply these to our users and they enjoy them. Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JBrown wrote: »
    Which one do you have, Wave, Desktop Wave or Wave Pro ?

Just the Wave. I've had it for over a year now - I love it.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    JBrown wrote: »
    After many years of using regular keyboard and mouse my hand started showing carpal tunnel syndrome signs. I switched the regular mouse to Logitech Cordless TrackMan Wheel and it did help to get rid of the hand problem somewhat but at the cost of a productivity. It took me 3 weeks to get used to using mouse ball with my thumb to move the pointer around rather than moving the mouse itself. Now I am looking to substitute my all time favorite Dell classic keyboard with something interesting and more ergonomic.
    What do you guys think the following keyboard SmartFish ? Did anybody else have this syndrome, any suggestions on what keyboard to use?

I prefer a 104-standard keyboard generic is good and a MS optical mouse.

Over time, you'll likley see that new muscles/tendons being to ache and you'll be changing back or into something newer.

Years ago there was a verticle mouse that was the rave and the users found out (after they finally got used to it) that their wrist hurt but in a different place.

Repeative motion bothers many folks. Some muscle through, others make other subtle changes. I've been fortunate I suppose in that I've not run into an hand/wrist problem, but that could be due to the amount of training I did in my youth and therefore didn't have weaknesses when I reach a point where I ended up on a desk.

I'd look at my environment first before changing a keyboard/mouse out. Check your chair height, desk height, desk angle, etc..
    Take 5-10 minutes every hour off the keyboard, mix-up the work load if possible so that you are not typing 100%.

Visit your doc to get in with a physical therapist as you may find some strengthing exercises do a world more benefit long-term then a $150 keyboard.

Bottom line (IMO) what happens when your KB/M die, you are working in a different area, etc.. do you need to carry these items with you so that you can perform your job every place you work?...so this is one reason why I'd opt to look for a different cure.

IF all that doesn't work, then it may make sesne but I suspect merely changing them out, while initially less expensive, the problem will likely return...in a different area.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz

You are right. The problem with my wrists started a few months after i switched my chair hight and loaded the work desk with bunch of study materials ( MS manuals are not for faint of heart as you know). I am not going for 10,000 pages challenge, but I already have close to 3K pages of printouts laying on my desk. Time to clean up the desk i guess.
    PS: I placed the order for Wave anyways :).
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a logitech wave set, The keyboard is great, but the mouse did not work for me, it was too big and caused some wrist pain!.
  • Options
    DerekleeDereklee Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    really? i've never used that kind of mouse, perhaps i should have a try.icon_study.gif