Options

LX0-101/102 or XK0-002

osiszhosiszh Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I am a new member here and recently passed the CompTIA Security+ exam. I used some different materials and will make a post in the Security+ forum about my experience.

Anyways, I wanted to talk about the revamped Linux+ cert. Has anyone here actually taken this and can provide some insight into this?

I know the old exam is good until October 31st, 2010. It took me a month to obtain the Security+ cert. I have some experience with Linux. I am not a newbie nor a guru. Do you think this will be adequate time to train for this exam before it expires?

The reason I am thinking of taking the old exam is because there is a relatively small amount of material out there for the new exam.

Another thing that kind of swayed me towards the old exam is the amount of time and questions. The old exam is 98 questions in 90 minutes. The new exam is 120 questions in 90 minutes.

Some of the materials I will be using to study are as follows:
CompTIA Linux+ Certification Study Guide by Robb H. Tracy
CompTIA Linux+ Complete Study Guide by Roderick W. Smith (LX0-101/LX01-2)
Linux Pocket Guide by Daniel J. Barret
TechNotes here on TechExams.net
CBT Nugget video series
Virtual Machine (I have been using Ubuntu in the meantime, but I hear the old Linux+ exam is geared towards RedHat/SuSE)

I purchased a few things from the old exam and new exam to try to broaden my knowledge on the subject. Anyways, sorry for my rambling. I just wanted to see if anyone has taken the new exam yet. If you have any other information or advice you could provide me that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I had taken Unix and Perl classes in school. I've run Linux as my main desktop on and off for a couple years, a little bit of server stuff and decided to check out Linux+, thinking it might be in line with A+ level knowledge or the trivia of Sec+.

Once I really got into (watched videos at vtc.com and used a VM) the need for you to understand things like NIS, Apache and MySQL was awefully high. So I backed away. If you have any experience in those I would say go for it.

As far as which version to shoot for? I personally sway toward the olders certs when I have a choice, as this gives you the most broad base of resources.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    ShiftyOShiftyO Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

I am also currently preparing for the old exam as i will be writing it at the end of this month.Reason being is that i bought the Sybex Linux+ a year ago and started studying from there,then i got abit lazy and stopped for a
    while only to recently find out that there is a New Exam icon_lol.gif .So instead of
    purchasing the New Books i might as well just write the old exam before the cut off date.
  • Options
    krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The new certification has more reputation than the old one, because it's supported by the LPIC. There are 2 tests (101-102), and it's 60 questions - 90 minutes for each one. My vote goes for the new exams, the final decision is yours.

Good Luck icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    krauser wrote: »
    The new certification has more reputation than the old one, because it's supported by the LPIC. There are 2 tests (101-102), and it's 60 questions - 90 minutes for each one. My vote goes for the new exams, the final decision is yours.

Good Luck icon_thumright.gif
    That and the questions are clear and straightforward, unlike the old version...
    Do you plan to sit 102 soon krauser?
  • Options
    krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    varelg wrote: »
    That and the questions are clear and straightforward, unlike the old version...
    Do you plan to sit 102 soon krauser?

Very soon, my friend. icon_study.gif