CCNP or Back to MS

troyt93955troyt93955 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just passed my ICND 1 today after the 3rd time.

intresting conversation with an instructer that was taking new CCNA exam, he said the CCNP is alot easier in comparison?????

I was thinking about updating my MCSA after my CCNA, but after talking to him I was wondering if it would be better to go forward with CCNP any thoughts?

Comments

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    The CCNP is definitely not easier. Each exam is more focused, which could make them somewhat easier to study for, but overall the exams are much harder than the CCNA exams.

As for what you should do, it depends on what your current job is, or what you enjoy most. If you work mostly with systems, then go back to MS, if you work mostly with networks, stay with Cisco. If you work with systems, but enjoy networks more, go with Cisco and vice versa.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yeah the CCNP is way easier man thats why everyone gets it!

Just go for what every is going to help you in your career. If you are working with servers go for the MS stuff. If you work on networks work on the CCNP. If you work on both go for what ever interests you more.

Colby beat me you bastard!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • troyt93955troyt93955 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am the only IT guy here now.. so i deal with it all. However I think I want to go with some Virtual and Storage stuff.. I dont man, hard to tell where the jobs will be next year.

I would really like to help build virtual data center stuff. I really think thats where it going.

Any suggestions on that MS or Network?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    troyt93955 wrote: »
    I would really like to help build virtual data center stuff. I really think thats where it going.

Go for that kind of stuff if its what you want to do. I'm sure an MCSE would help get you towards that type of work but I don't really know for sure.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    I can never advocate M$, so I'd say go with the CCNP.
  • Project2501Project2501 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Colby beat me you bastard!

You guys are like a forum tag team. icon_twisted.gif
    - Pete
  • TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    How about a VMware cert? Everyone and their dog has a Microsoft cert but getting a VMware one could make you stand out from the crowd...

Last I heard you had to sit the training course (5 days or something) before you could sit the exam. If you can get work to spring for the course costs it would be pretty cool.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You guys are like a forum tag team. icon_twisted.gif

It's actually hilarious how many people on this forum know each other, or have worked with each other at some point.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It really depends upon what you use at work or where you plan to be later. If you're at an MS shop you may want to start with the Hyper-V cert 70-652 and go from there. As a previous poster mentioned check with your boss(es) about what would benefit the company and you may be able to get some assistance with some training if it will benefit your company.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.