Options

Guess what I got in the mail today!!!

tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
1. This is to notify you that, having completed the required years of service, you will be eligible for retired pay upon application at age 60

Its my twenty year letter :)

I joined the Marines at 17 went to Parris Island 6 days after I turned 18, joined the National Guard 1 or 2 months after I got off active duty and never took a break from that.

I went to Marine Boot Camp twenty years and a month ago as of last month.

To be honest I forgot all about it. The packet was a total surprise. My current contract is up in January. I was told I did not have twenty "good" years because I missed last years annual training due to my wife being in the hospital since there was a chance our son could be born at 26 weeks so she was on bed rest stuck in the hospital for a month and a half. Well our son made it to 38 weeks before being born and he hit 9 months last month.

Anyways I was told I would have to reenlist for one more year which meant a month in Korea after Christmas and a possible year in Afghanistan in the summer......

But now! Nope putting in my request for retirement first thing tomorrow and hopefully turn my crap in next drill :)

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't mean to burst your bubble, but that was the worst guessing game ever.

Seriously though, that's awesome news :D
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on making the 20!! icon_cheers.gif

But don't you get even more retirement pay if you complete 30 years?

icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats and even better to hear you don't have to serve out another year with possible deployment.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    TheDailyMelTheDailyMel Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I have a friend in the Marines who will be getting out in about 18 months with 30 years. I think his wife is more excited about than he is though. icon_lol.gif
    Melissa
    BSIT - started July 1, 2010
    In Progress: TEV1, TTV1
    Completed: EWB2
    Transfer Credits: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Super excellent!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Well done!

And THANK YOU!

(congratulations on your son!)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    Congrats...

I would be eligible for my 20 year retirement if I would have stayed this year....Looking back and realizing now that I could be retiring at 39, I'm thinking god what a dumbass i was back then.
  • Options
    kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »

But don't you get even more retirement pay if you complete 30 years?

icon_lol.gif

Probably even more for 40 :p
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Meh I'm done. Ever since 9/11 "one weekend a month and two weeks a year" is considered a "light" year.

I got back a couple of months ago from Ft Riley after spending two and a half months there. I missed the audit my employer hired me to do lol. Then our next audit I will be in Korea for four weeks. Then the past few years our annual trainings have been three weeks instead of two. Plus since I have an IT background my unit is always asking me to do additional duties for the state on top of that.

Plus my wife is not so keen on me going to Afghanistan for a year next year she stressed herself out when I was in Iraq for a year back when the violence was really bad. Our Battalion was sending me on convoys up and down Iraq each week do IT satellite and network installs and that stresses her out a lot.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Congrats man, and thanks for the service. I wish I had held out for 20, but you know what they say about hindsight. Korea can't be too bad, at least you could come back with nice suits and at least one silk blanket, LOL. Those of you who have been there might apprecaite that humor.

Congrats on the new addition as well. I am glad I was single the whole time I was in ( other than girlfriends with perks). I think the families are the ones who pay the most with the service member being deployed.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats.

I am a little disappointed that no one made a Public Enemy reference here.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Congrats Jarhead!! Biggest I ever made was getting off of AD. Now I'm too broke for Uncle Sam to want me. Glad you made it though!
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats and thank you for your service!!! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I don't mean to burst your bubble, but that was the worst guessing game ever.

Agreed.

Here was my guess:

YouTube - My Guess

MS