Options

Outlook Question

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
I am in the process of migrating our users to a new exchange account, and need to clear the 'autofill' addresses it puts in the address box. It is autofilling a previous address, so for instance, when I type "MI", it shows the full address for mike@domain.com - which is no longer valid.

Its like I need to clear that cache of previously used emails.

Outlook 2007, Exchange 07.

Comments

• Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Isn't that just the NK2 file in their profile?
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Arrow down to the email address and press 'delete' on you keyboard. Just tested it on mine.
  • Options
    Arrow down to the email address and press 'delete' on you keyboard. Just tested it on mine.

very funny but that isnt feasable to do for all these users who are emailing hundreds of others. I dont want to tell them they'll have to manually delete every government email address they've ever sent out.
  • Options
    wheezwheez Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    arwes wrote: »
    Isn't that just the NK2 file in their profile?
    Yep.. you can just delete the NK2 file in the user profiles. It'll be recreated next time Outlook starts.
    WIP: Considering cert path.. :-)
  • Options
    brad- wrote: »
    I am in the process of migrating our users to a new exchange account, and need to clear the 'autofill' addresses it puts in the address box. It is autofilling a previous address, so for instance, when I type "MI", it shows the full address for mike@domain.com - which is no longer valid.

Its like I need to clear that cache of previously used emails.

Outlook 2007, Exchange 07.
    brad- wrote: »
    very funny but that isnt feasable to do for all these users who are emailing hundreds of others. I dont want to tell them they'll have to manually delete every government email address they've ever sent out.

Sorry, I thought from your example it was a single address.

As other TE users have suggested you can delete the nk2 file completely. This would be relatively easy to script. But be aware that many people will complain as they think of this list as their "contacts." I don't know how many times I have run into a situation where I could not restore the nk2 file and a user flipped out because they lost all their "contacts."
  • Options

As other TE users have suggested you can delete the nk2 file completely. This would be relatively easy to script. But be aware that many people will complain as they think of this list as their "contacts." I don't know how many times I have run into a situation where I could not restore the nk2 file and a user flipped out because they lost all their "contacts."
    Thank you both, you are correct, and that is what I will do.

I'm going to script a rename of that file to outlook.nk2-old.

If anyone else is curious, it lives in this folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\yourprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

*note that that location is not under the hidden folder for local settings that you would find the .pst in if you use those.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

Could you just recreate the profiles when migrating? After a profile recreation the NK2 files are wiped. Just an idea. If some how the email client pulled down a new profile (automated) that file would be recreated and have nothing in it. All folders and emails in their client would be restored from the server.

Just throwing darts lol
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Could you just recreate the profiles when migrating? After a profile recreation the NK2 files are wiped. Just an idea. If some how the email client pulled down a new profile (automated) that file would be recreated and have nothing in it. All folders and emails in their client would be restored from the server.

Just throwing darts lol

Yup, but I am not certain of how he is doing the migration.