Cisco Certification Route

Foolish*Foolish* Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
My background is Video Conferencing, H.323, SIP, ISDN etc. I am currently working towards my CCENT, i want to be a VoIP expert with sound knowledge in routing and swicthing what would be the best path for me as a young jedi?

Comments

• fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Sounds like getting you should finish up the CCNA, then move to the Voice path... CCNA:Voice and CCVP.
    CCNP :study:
  • Foolish*Foolish* Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    fly351 wrote: »
    Sounds like getting you should finish up the CCNA, then move to the Voice path... CCNA:Voice and CCVP.

Thanks Dude
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    I would check out CCVP pretty heavy. From what I have heard is that Cisco is revamping all the Professional level certs.. so CCVP will be renamed to CCNP:Voice. It may or may not benefit you to try and get it done before/after. I couldn't tell ya which though ;)
    CCNP :study:
  • Foolish*Foolish* Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    fly351 wrote: »
    I would check out CCVP pretty heavy. From what I have heard is that Cisco is revamping all the Professional level certs.. so CCVP will be renamed to CCNP:Voice. It may or may not benefit you to try and get it done before/after. I couldn't tell ya which though ;)

Thanks dude, i think by the time i have CCNA Voice it maybe already CCNP Voice by then. Thats interesting to know though i will look out for the new change :D
  • aR15aR15 Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know this thread is already a week old by now, but I noticed you were trying to specialize in the VoIP field which just happens to be what I do (VoIP Network Engineer)! In addition to your basic protocols and R&S knowledge, learn as much as you can about the other software utilities that typically come bundled in a VoIP setup (i.e.: Cisco Call-Manager, Unity VoiceMail (Unity VM), Cisco Works, etc).

If you've got any other questions please don't hesitate to ask here or message me. Best part about the Voice portion of networking is that you don't have so much of a heavy focus on your Routing and Switching basic and advanced commands and functions, but it'd be wise to stay fresh on your fundamental skills because you never know when you'll need to use them (i.e.: career-path/focus change, job-role switch, etc).

Good Luck and enjoy your future learnings!