about vsphere4 certification

ysfsearcherysfsearcher Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi

Our It departement will sooner goes to virtualisation.
I wonder , how to prepare a certification on virtualisation.
Asking friends they suggest that i go with Vsphere certification ; i'm asking for advice about vsphere 4 certification; please

Please do asap i'm in needed

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ysfsearcherysfsearcher Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Thanks for your quick reply.
    I would prefer to guide me or assist me on which material to get or buy.
    Actually i'm reading this book : Sybex.VMware.vSphere.4.Administration.Instant.Reference.Dec.2009
    And one collegue had get : CBT dvd from greeg Sheild

See that i'm novice , i will ask for help on which book could i prepare my certificate

Youssef
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi

Thanks for your quick reply.
    I would prefer to guide me or assist me on which material to get or buy.
    Actually i'm reading this book : Sybex.VMware.vSphere.4.Administration.Instant.Reference.Dec.2009
    And one collegue had get : CBT dvd from greeg Sheild

See that i'm novice , i will ask for help on which book could i prepare my certificate

Youssef

Something to remember, In order to get the certificate you have to pay for the class. I used that book and this one.

Amazon.com: Mastering VMware vSphere 4 (Computer/Tech) (9780470481387): Scott…
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
    Hi

actually i've this material on my hand , but i'm afraid and wonder which one to use.
    1. CBT.Nuggets.VMware.Certified.Professional.on.vSphere.4
    2. Amazon.com: Mastering VMware vSphere 4 (Computer/Tech) (9780470481387): Scott…
    3. Sybex.VMware.vSphere.4.Administration.Instant.Refe rence.Dec.2009
    Need your advice
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi

actually i've this material on my hand , but i'm afraid and wonder which one to use.
    1. CBT.Nuggets.VMware.Certified.Professional.on.vSphere.4
    2. Amazon.com: Mastering VMware vSphere 4 (Computer/Tech) (9780470481387): Scott…
    3. Sybex.VMware.vSphere.4.Administration.Instant.Refe rence.Dec.2009
    Need your advice
    If your goal is to pass the exam, use all of them. There is no one resource that will cover everything you need to pass the exam. I used #1 and #2... they are both good for getting started with vSphere, but even combined they were not enough to pass the exam.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    Hi

Thanks MentholMoose for your reply.
    I already asked Scott Vessey Lead Instructor - VMware; he advised me :

from Scott:
    I've heard good things about all the three items you mentioned, in terms of learning about vSphere - another good resource are the Train Signal DVD series: VMware vSphere Training, VMware ESX 4.0 Training | Train Signal

Well i'll buy this material and this
    Amazon.com: Mastering VMware vSphere 4 (Computer/Tech) (9780470481387): Scott…

Hope that those 2 material will be sufficient for taking the exam.

what you think ?

Youssef
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Any 2 of the resources you mentioned above plus the mandatory course will be more than enough to pass the exam.

Note the emphasis since you hadn't acknowledged when others had brought it up - you did however mention talking to Scott, so perhaps you're already signed up for one with Global Knowledge UK.
  • TontonsamTontonsam Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you pass the exam before attending to the class? If yes, do you have a period of time after passing the exam to attend the class?
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290
  • TontonsamTontonsam Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you pass the exam before attending to the class? If yes, do you have a period of time after passing the exam to attend the class?
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Tontonsam wrote: »
    Yes you can and there is no time limit but you will not be granted VCP status until you do - and your likelihood of passing will of course be higher after attending the class.

If you're hoping to pass the exam and then convince an employer to pay for the ICM course - unless they're a partner and need a certain # of VCPs you're somewhat shooting yourself in the foot - after all you've proven you already have that level of knowledge. :)

If for some reason they do go for it, then make sure you take one of the more advanced courses that still counts as credit, you might as well learn something new. ;)
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tontonsam wrote: »
    You can take the exam at any time relative to taking the class. Mainly you have to make sure that you take both before they are discontinued.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV