Options

advice please , 680 or 685 ?

certocerto Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello people , i am MCDST certified and i am taking the 680 exam next week , however i heard that there is one exam i can take as an upgrade from mcdst to win 7 which is the 685 exam . is this true ?

which exam do you recommend i take shall i take the 680 or 685 or do you recommend i do both ?

hope you can help me out.

thanks

certo

Comments

• Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    certo wrote: »
    hello people , i am MCDST certified and i am taking the 680 exam next week , however i heard that there is one exam i can take as an upgrade from mcdst to win 7 which is the 685 exam . is this true ?

which exam do you recommend i take shall i take the 680 or 685 or do you recommend i do both ?

hope you can help me out.

thanks

certo

the upgrade exam is 70-682. Pro: Upgrading to Windows 7 MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician
  • Options
    thanks for replying its much appreciated. so do you recommend i take that then ? or is it still worth doing the 680 next week ?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    thanks for replying its much appreciated. so do you recommend i take that then ? or is it still worth doing the 680 next week ?

If you want deployment knowledge than do the 680, if not just do the upgrade which appears to be more like the 685.

Pro: Upgrading to Windows 7 MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support Technician
  • Options
    ok, so the best way to study for this exam would be to probaly learn 685 content right.
  • Options
    ok, so the best way to study for this exam would be to probaly learn 685 content right.

LOL, I didn't say that. :)

I've never taken an upgrade exam so I can't really say. My guess would be that you should buy 685 book, and do a lot searching on TechNet about subjects that are going to be covered. Lab the stuff that is in the book as well. If you don't have a PC with Win7, or a VM with Win7 than start now.
  • Options
    lol , ok , thanks for the advice
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    You would definitely need to study for both the 70-680 & 685 if you decide to do the upgrade as it will cover material from both exams.
  • Options
    decided to do the 685 guys
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are perks to taking the 680 over the 685 as well, for example if you plan on going for an MCITP: Enterprise Admin cert later down the road then you'll wish you took the 680 instead of the 685. But it's all up to you, there's several different ways ot get to those fun MCITP certs, whatever you decide to do just make sure that it aligns with your career goals.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    hello guys , still thinking about what exam to take , so if i take the 680 and 685 then that will equal to upgrading mcdst .

so am i better off doing 685 and then 682 , or just do 685 and 680 ?
  • Options
    hello guys , still thinking about what exam to take , so if i take the 680 and 685 then that will equal to upgrading mcdst .

so am i better off doing 685 and then 682 , or just do 685 and 680 ?

I would think it would be easier to just do the 680 and 685 if you are unfamiliar with Windows 7. The upgrade exam will test you on both I would imagine.
  • Options
    failed 685 guys , got 656 , so close icon_sad.gif .
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear that. Are you gonna bone up on your weak areas and try again?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    failed 685 guys , got 656 , so close icon_sad.gif .

What were your weak areas?
  • Options
    yep im definitely going to try again , my weak areas were 'identifying cause of and resolving networking issues' and 'managing and maintaining systems that run windows 7 client'.

any reccomendations guys ?

im going to take it again some time next week , hopefully i will pass this time :)
  • Options
    yep im definitely going to try again , my weak areas were 'identifying cause of and resolving networking issues' and 'managing and maintaining systems that run windows 7 client'.

any reccomendations guys ?

im going to take it again some time next week , hopefully i will pass this time :)

Read up on your weak areas is the best thing I can recommend.
  • Options
    ok mate, thanks for advice , shall i just keep using the ms 70-685 book to read up on the weak areas.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You might want to branch out into some other sources. I was lucky enough to have the Windows 7 LearnKey videos to watch for the 680, but not everyone is looking to drop that kind of dough onto the videos. I didn't even do that, the school provided them for me. I felt those videos were just awesome in teaching enough to pass the exam, I used the MS Press Book to supplement the rest of the material and got a 914 on the 680 because of that.

I'd just recommend hitting up some practice questions that you might be able to find around the net, and depending on your budget, try and find some other resources you can use. Just google search for materials and I'm sure you'll find plenty, just avoid **** sites of course.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    thanks for the info guys , much appreciated.