Options

PC Doctor Service Kit...

hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
Hey guys, I recently got a new job as a Computer Tech and was looking into ordering one of these:

Service Center Diagnostic Kit – Feature-rich diagnostic software and hardware test devices — PC-Doctor

Can anyone here vouch for this? The quality? Usefullness? :)

Comments

• Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    hex_omega wrote: »
    Hey guys, I recently got a new job as a Computer Tech and was looking into ordering one of these:

Service Center Diagnostic Kit – Feature-rich diagnostic software and hardware test devices — PC-Doctor

While I can't vouch for the kit itself, several of the tools are useful if your primary job is going to be bench work. Couple of things to remember.

Most name brand PC makers have comprehensive diagnostics built into their systems.

It will be more beneficial to put Linux on a thumb drive or create a Bart PE disk for booting into a broken os for data backup and testing. (a little Linux experience is always a good thing =))

The loop-back devices can be bought for cheap. Serial and parallel is $8 at pc cables.

The BartPE disk can serve as test media and drive erase software.

Power supply tester is $30 and I highly recommend one of these.

PCI and Mini PCI cards have always looked good, but I have never had a reason to buy one. Found them for a cheap as $40 for a quality device. But again I have found ways to diagnose problems without plugging one in to test. Maybe somebody else has had experience with one and can vouch for its usefulness.

If you are going to be working on home built systems then the PCI card maybe something to look into. You never know what you will run into. Also if your primary job is going to be answering phones, there is a good chance somebody there has seen it before and can hint you in the right direction.

Good luck with your new position.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    I agree with azjag.

You can also save yourself the $329 by using BartPE or Ultimate Boot CD as far as diagnostic software. Or you can learn how to build your own WinPE disk and gain some MS experience along the way.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    apena7 wrote: »
    I agree with azjag.

You can also save yourself the $329 by using BartPE or Ultimate Boot CD as far as diagnostic software. Or you can learn how to build your own WinPE disk and gain some MS experience along the way.

BartPE is great for it's integrated Windows Explorer features, and it's simplicity.

Personally I would just buy some of those tools separately. My toolkit has a screw driver, BartPE disk, and an external USB laptop drive. Of course if your going to a persons house than who knows what could happen. I think Azjag gave you some excellent pointers.
  • Options
    TheDailyMelTheDailyMel Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've used the UBCD, but not BartPE. I've definitely heard good things about it though, so I would add my agreement as well. Put together some of you own tools and save yourself a bit of money.
    Melissa
    BSIT - started July 1, 2010
    In Progress: TEV1, TTV1
    Completed: EWB2
    Transfer Credits: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1
  • Options
    Most of what we service are Win 7 and Vista PCs, so I don't think BartPE will be of much use since I think that is only for XP? I do have UBCD and that is excellent.
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Most of what we service are Win 7 and Vista PCs, so I don't think BartPE will be of much use since I think that is only for XP? I do have UBCD and that is excellent.

Check out these links. Unless somebody has found a better option, these should help.

VistaPE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right beside my BartPE disk is a Knoppix usb drive (although I have not checked out the maxi version yet)

and

List of live CDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It would probably be cheapest for you to put together your own tool kit with what you are comfortable in working with. I personally use mainly UBCD and a really basic set of tools. I've never used BartPE but may look into it now. As others have said before most of the tools available in that kit are available pretty cheap alone if you shop around.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Thanks to azjog and all others for your input.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

PC Pitstop: Free PC Scans and Tune-up Utilities

This is all you need
  • Options
    Anyone know if I would be able to use Windows PE 3.0 with Vista and XP as well? How do I get it? Through the WAIK?