Options

Suggestions for Bulk password management

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
Before I just grab something off a google search, was curious if anyone had any recommendation for an Active Directory bulk password manager. I need to reset everyone in a specific OU's password to something common.

Thx.

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could also get a list of users and use an excel spreadsheet to generate a batch file. But Rob's program sounds a lot easier.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can't you just browse to OU in the ADUC, select all of the users at the same time, right-click, Reset Password... ?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    Can't you just browse to OU in the ADUC, select all of the users at the same time, right-click, Reset Password... ?

You are asssuming all the users are in the same OU.

During the worst part of the "economic crisis" we had huge layoffs and I had to deactivate multiple accounts accross many departments. My own policy is that I change the password to something complex and set the account as disabled. It's pretty simple using the bulk tool above. Takes longer using ADUC when you have to hunt and peck.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    brad- wrote: »
    I need to reset everyone in a specific OU's password to something common.
    You are asssuming all the users are in the same OU.

Is he? :p
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Don't neglect some of the build in tools! You can perform modifications with csvde and ldfide as well as with dsquery, dsmod, etc... an example of an "ou based" modification using dsquery piping into dsmod:

dsquery user "ou=NewUser,dc=Contoso,dc=com" -limit 0 | dsmod user -pwd BulkPassword -mustchpwd yes > Changedpassword.log

The above parses all user accounts from the NewUser OU and modifies their account with the password BulkPassword, forcing them to change at next logon. It also pipes the output to a text file called Changedpassword.log. You can actually get pretty advanced with the built in commands, powershell, and vbscript
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

Nope, not one of the options. (Unless there is some hack that I don't know of...)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Nope, not one of the options. (Unless there is some hack that I don't know of...)

He's right... reset password isn't one of the options exposed in the ADUC if you select multiple users.

My bad.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Is he? :p
    LOL, bite me! icon_wink.gif That was good.
  • Options
    He's right... reset password isn't one of the options exposed in the ADUC if you select multiple users.

My bad.
    Ya I thought that option was in there too, I selected everyone, rightclick - Im like WTF is my AD jackedup or something? No, just not an option for a multiple selection.

I knew about the dsmod - im just kind of shy around it because all I ever used it for was studying for 70-290. I like GUIs, I guess you could say im not a true nerd.
  • Options

TY sir, trying it now.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    brad- wrote: »
    I like GUIs, I guess you could say im not a true nerd.

I wouldn't say that but you need to think of it like this; it will take you x clicks in the GUI to reset these passwords which will take x amount of time. Then ask yourself if you can lookup and create a DSmod script in less time. You would be surprised how easy and fast it is to use DSMod.
  • Options

Using it, it will do exactly what I need.

Word of advice for anyone else using it though, selecting row(s) and then doing a bulk modify modifies the entire list, regardless of what is selected. Just throwing that out there. The rollback feature is greyed out for me.